Time for editorial oversight!!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
L Gilbert, I said NOTHING about rape.

Of course, I would report a rape (or murder or robbery or violence of any kind) if I saw one.

You seem to equate the words of some irresponsible yahoo here, who might offend some overly sensitive sensibility with rape and some other felony. That is your problem, not mine.

I am smart enough and big enough to ignore minor offenses, much like an elephant is able to ignore a gnat.

How else, do you suppose I've been able to deal with SirJosephPorter all these years?

Or VanIsle, for that matter??

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
L Gilbert, I said NOTHING about rape.

Of course, I would report a rape (or murder or robbery or violence of any kind) if I saw one.

You seem to equate the words of some irresponsible yahoo here, who might offend some overly sensitive sensibility with rape and some other felony. That is your problem, not mine.

I am smart enough and big enough to ignore minor offenses, much like an elephant is able to ignore a gnat.

How else, do you suppose I've been able to deal with SirJosephPorter all these years?
The analogy is applicable and I am not the one with the problem about it.
An offense is an offense. The only civilised way to deal with offenses is to bring them to the notice of the people whose job it is to deal with offenses. That would be the police in the case of rape and the mods in the case of CanCon.
So you prefer to condone trolling here. That is your prerogative. That you feel ashamed for doing the right thing is also your prerogative.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
lone wolf wondered:

"How else do you expect the mods to know there's a spammer on board?"

Is it my responsibility as a driver to alert police about speeders? Or illegal parkers?

The moderators here are the police. And just as the police they should act PROactively, rather than REactively.

And just as police should not and can not rely on snitches, neither should the moderators of this forum.

The 'report' button should be permanently disabled, since it is nothing but an extra weapon given to the thin-skinned noodle-spined weak-kneed mimosas.

A "Mod" has access to certain things (in order to Moderate) that the rest of the
Forum doesn't, but psychic abilities aren't one of the things we have access to.

How does someone react proactively to something that hasn't happened yet,
like your last post (for example) before you posted it? Just curious, and if you
have a method, I'd love to hear about it as it would make the job much easier.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
lone wolf wondered:

"How else do you expect the mods to know there's a spammer on board?"

Is it my responsibility as a driver to alert police about speeders? Or illegal parkers?

The moderators here are the police. And just as the police they should act PROactively, rather than REactively.

And just as police should not and can not rely on snitches, neither should the moderators of this forum.

The 'report' button should be permanently disabled, since it is nothing but an extra weapon given to the thin-skinned noodle-spined weak-kneed mimosas.
Personally, I don't think you should be hitting yourself on the head quite so hard....

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
L Gilbert, when I have a flood in my house, first thing I do is shut off the main water valve.

All I am saying is that spam should be shut out by the regulators/moderators.

And so should be any offensive post and trolling. And still say that the 'report' button is nothing but a crutch for the overly sensitive weak-kneed, lame-brained mimosas.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
L Gilbert, when I have a flood in my house, first thing I do is shut off the main water valve.

And so should be any offensive post and trolling. And still say that the 'report' button is nothing but a crutch for the overly sensitive weak-kneed, lame-brained mimosas.
...only because you get reported so often just for doing what you do best.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Operating Proactively....you'd avoid the flood in your house before it happened.

Dealing with the flood after it happens is Reactive. I really wish you'd learn to
use the Quote system as It would also free up more of the Mod's time (consistency
with the other Members of the Forum, etc...) without the ability to creatively edit
others posts to put a jaded and ...... unflatteringly?.....spin on them that I have to
read and edit. The quote system isn't difficult to use.

Steps are in place to be introduced soon to proactively minimize the newest
breed of Spammers that are getting under the fence the last couple of weeks.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
lone wolf, only the wishy-washy weak-kneed, noodle-spined weaklings never get reported, because they have no STRONG opinion about anything except offending people they could not hold a candle to, in a safe, typical liberal way.

Yes, I have been reported by yahooes, probably even by you. I served my two weeks off with pride and dignity. It gave me time to refresh and reload.

I am sure that if I invented the cure for cancer, you and your miserable ilk would still find a reason to bash me by saying that I am a jerk because I did not discover the cure for Alzheimers. Much to the the sorrow of the well-deserving, such as you.

Back to the topic: Your posts, one and all are like the flood in a house. Should be permanently shut off.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
lone wolf, only the wishy-washy weak-kneed, noodle-spined weaklings never get reported, because they have no STRONG opinion about anything except offending people they could not hold a candle to, in a safe, typical liberal way.

Yes, I have been reported by yahooes, probably even by you. I served my two weeks off with pride and dignity. It gave me time to refresh and reload.

I am sure that if I invented the cure for cancer, you and your miserable ilk would still find a reason to bash me by saying that I am a jerk because I did not discover the cure for Alzheimers. Much to the the sorrow of the well-deserving, such as you.

Back to the topic: Your posts, one and all are like the flood in a house. Should be permanently shut off.

OK Jack, how do you Proactively stop all Spammers before they Spam? How
do you stop Trolling (like what's happening in this Thread too) before someone
hits the "ENTER" button on their keyboard

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You mean you mods can't read minds. How disappointing. What kind of mods are you that you can't even read minds?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If you were pro-active you'd shut off the water before the flood happened.

And just how do you expect the moderators who volunteer their time to read and react to each and every post to see if it is up to snuff unless people tell them where the trouble spots are?
You seem to think it is so easy to be a mod. I suggest you try it for a day and see how well you can keep up with posters.

I don't really care what you call it. It is the best way to call a mod's attention to a bad post whether you like it or not.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

OH, dear Lord, please, please, please, please, please tell me I've been reported a time or two. It would do this poor heart so much joy to know I have irked someone to the point where the meanest thing they could do is hit the button ... even from the likes of Lemonboy.....

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"OK Jack, how do you Proactively stop all Spammers before they Spam? How
hits the "ENTER" button on their keyboard"

Ron, it has been pointed out many times in the past (by singularly UNILINGUAL critics) that my command of the English language is inferior, it being my second language.

So, maybe I used the adverb 'proactively' in an incorrect way. What I meant was that the moderators should delete immediately any post that violates the rules of Canadian Content, with explanation to the offender via PM why the post was removed. Same goes for anyone banned for inappropriate post(s).

I realize that you, as moderators, have a difficult job and I know that you do the best you can.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
"OK Jack, how do you Proactively stop all Spammers before they Spam? How
hits the "ENTER" button on their keyboard"

Ron, it has been pointed out many times in the past (by singularly UNILINGUAL critics) that my command of the English language is inferior, it being my second language.

So, maybe I used the adverb 'proactively' in an incorrect way. What I meant was that the moderators should delete immediately any post that violates the rules of Canadian Content, with explanation to the offender via PM why the post was removed. Same goes for anyone banned for inappropriate post(s).

I realize that you, as moderators, have a difficult job and I know that you do the best you can.

OK...lets take the Spammer "Rightway" for example. He posted 27 Spam posts
into existing Threads, so having a Mod (when time permitted) approve new
Threads wouldn't have helped here. He also did it in the middle of the night for
much of the Canadian time zones....as many spammers do....as they're in one
of the many-many time-zones the lay outside of Canada.

Do we only allow posts during certain hours of the day? Only from certain time
zones from certain times of the day? Have the Forum only "open" for a couple
of hours each day?

Immediately is tough when a Mod isn't here, or aware that something has
even happened....& thus the Report Button. You can't tell me that you are
aware of every post in every Thread at all times on every Topic immediately.

Having a Mod approve all posts (when time permitted) before they're visable
would eliminate all Trolling & Spamming, but what would we all be left with for a
Forum? How many posts happen on this Forum in the average day?

That just wouldn't work with over a Hundred Members posting every day, and with
thousands of members. That wouldn't be a Forum (as we know it).

Currently this Forum has 111,362 Threads, with 1,596,192 (& COUNTING)
posts in them.

98 Members have logged in so far today, of the 1034 active members of the
total of 39, 804 Members. Right now there are 2248 active Members, and 37
of those are on the Forum right now.

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
L Gilbert admonished me thus:

"You seem to think it is so easy to be a mod. I suggest you try it for a day and see how well you can keep up with posters."

Well, I have the time, since I am retired. I think I have the morality, the honesty, the objectivity, the patience and the tolerance to be a good and effective moderator.

Alas, I do not have the computer savvy, so with much regret I respectfully decline.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Come on Ron, what kind of mod are you? Are you honestly telling me that you can't read minds and that you are not made aware right away even while asleep of a problem post and its details?

Oh wow, what's the world coming to?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Whenever I have been away from Canadian Content, I look at the current list of threads and when they were last updated.

To go through the entire list takes me no more than half of an hour, including my answers to some of the most outrageous posts I find along the way.

So, time is NOT of the essence, effort and diligence are.

In all fairness, I go through ONLY the posts and threads that interest me. As a moderator, I know, that would not be enough.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
L Gilbert admonished me thus:

"You seem to think it is so easy to be a mod. I suggest you try it for a day and see how well you can keep up with posters."

Well, I have the time, since I am retired. I think I have the morality, the honesty, the objectivity, the patience and the tolerance to be a good and effective moderator.

Alas, I do not have the computer savvy, so with much regret I respectfully decline.
It wasn't an admonishment, Jack, it was a suggestion.
How do you know you'd need any more skills than what you have?

Whenever I have been away from Canadian Content, I look at the current list of threads and when they were last updated.

To go through the entire list takes me no more than half of an hour, including my answers to some of the most outrageous posts I find along the way.

So, time is NOT of the essence, effort and diligence are.
You go through each and every post in each and every thread in a half hour? What about the threads that went unseen for when you were in bed, out getting groceries, or whatever? Do you research back to catch those, too?
Are you sure you are human?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, so back back to work you lazy vermin calling yourself moderators!

Wasting your time participating in the threads are we? Who gave you that freedom? I think you al need a good whipping to get you back in your places.

One would think you're not paid for this work or something...

Oh, never mind.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
L Gilbert gave me this advise:

"How do you know you'd need any more skills than what you have?"

I suppose you would want me to get my feet wet, wade in and be a moderator.

Won't happen! I spent the last 30 years of my working life as a main-frame COBOL programmer. I am a dying breed in more ways than one. PC's are nothing but a source of entertainment for me.