congratulatons to team canada hockey mens gold medal win

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The only people who drink too much at games these days are ones who leave a trail of cash falling out of their pockets. True fighting drunks don't have that kind of money.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
So the league expanded to make way for all these talented youngsters? Did not know that, talloola.

My neighbors are die-hard hockey fans and both loathe the shoot-out for the reasons stated by YJ. Never having seen one live, I cannot comment on their appeal personally.

The leage expanded, allowing more talented players to make
their way into the NHL, but didn't expand because of them,
it expanded because more and more owners wanted a piece of
the action.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The only people who drink too much at games these days are ones who leave a trail of cash falling out of their pockets. True fighting drunks don't have that kind of money.

hoards of young guys go to games in small groups, friends
gathering to have a good time, many of them drink too much,
talk too loud, spill beer on people, and generally make
asses of themselves, they are not necessarily drunks at all.

Drunks don't even go to games.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Now that all makes perfect sense to me, YK. Thanks for answering the questions. Got another for you. Why don't they cut down the number of teams and eliminate the shoot-outs? From the little I do hear about the state of hockey, many teams are having a hard time making ends meet at the box office. One would think it a no-brainer to reduce the numbers.

that's where gary bettman comes into the picture, he is the
NHL commissioner, and wants to expand the NHL all over the
u.s., has made quite a few blunders, as there are teams
now losing millions each year, those teams don't have to
be cancelled, just moved to cities who do want teams, and
will fill up the buildings.
There are lots of players, enough for existing teams, and
the league is not watered down at all, talent wise. The
hockey is better now than it ever was.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think one of the nicest things about Olympic hockey is that it was hockey, not thuggery and cheap shots.

140 players at the Olympics were NHL players. Think of how good NHL hockey could be, if the idiots/thugs/goons were left out.

I'm with you 100%. I have suffered through decades of Don Cherry type hockey and I am more than ready to have fighting tossed out of the game. - literally.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
hoards of young guys go to games in small groups, friends
gathering to have a good time, many of them drink too much,
talk too loud, spill beer on people, and generally make
asses of themselves, they are not necessarily drunks at all.

Drunks don't even go to games.
The last time I went to GM place it was full of BMW-driving guys trying to impress their girlfriends. Not much drinking at all. The crowds are nothing like they used to be, from what I saw.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The last time I went to GM place it was full of BMW-driving guys trying to impress their girlfriends. Not much drinking at all. The crowds are nothing like they used to be, from what I saw.

Yeah, I've heard that GM place is very corporate,
but the very few times I was there, the beer drinkers
were there, you can hear them by the second period, but
you are right, not many.
The low cost of tickets to many u.s. games, must bring in the
party types, 4 tickets, 4 meals, $99.00, was an ad tonight on one
of those games.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yeah, I've heard that GM place is very corporate,
but the very few times I was there, the beer drinkers
were there, you can hear them by the second period, but
you are right, not many.

The low cost of tickets to many u.s. games, must bring in the
party types, 4 tickets, 4 meals, $99.00, was an ad tonight on one
of those games.

ive been on the big screen at the GM place with beers in both hands, wearing a luongo jersey going insane :lol::lol:... emphasis on the insane cause they put me back up there that night a few more times

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Uh, Kreskin, we were referring to the fighting on the ice, not in the stands. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
that's where gary bettman comes into the picture, he is the
NHL commissioner, and wants to expand the NHL all over the
u.s., has made quite a few blunders, as there are teams
now losing millions each year, those teams don't have to
be cancelled, just moved to cities who do want teams, and
will fill up the buildings.
There are lots of players, enough for existing teams, and
the league is not watered down at all, talent wise. The
hockey is better now than it ever was.

So you don't agree that de-commissioning some of the teams would help put an end to the fighting, talloola? If not, what will it take to bring the fighting to an end?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Kreskin, I am interested in knowing how big those crowds you speak of are in size? How full was GM place?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
So you don't agree that de-commissioning some of the teams would help put an end to the fighting, talloola? If not, what will it take to bring the fighting to an end?

The fighting will come to an end when Bettman and the
Players Union get together and agree that it is not
good for the game, don't think that will happen, because
it still remains 'all' about profits at the games, and
they won't want to 'tinker' with that, might irritate the
fans who come because they love the fights, and they bring
money with them, and buy food and beer.

The 'talking' heads, who are owners and commissioner etc.,
want to make lots of money, nothing else really counts,
they are not really concerned with 'the good of the game'.

I guess the only way fighting will disappear, is if people
stop going to the games, (in big numbers) because they don't
like the fighting, then that will have an impact on the
'bottom' line, profits.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The 'talking' heads, who are owners and commissioner etc.,
want to make lots of money, nothing else really counts,
they are not really concerned with 'the good of the game'.

I guess the only way fighting will disappear, is if people
stop going to the games, (in big numbers) because they don't
like the fighting, then that will have an impact on the
'bottom' line, profits.

If that is the case, talloola and I don't doubt it, then I am glad there are Olympic and World hockey events for those of us who like to watch good clean hockey. Too bad those events are so few and far between.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If that is the case, talloola and I don't doubt it, then I am glad there are Olympic and World hockey events for those of us who like to watch good clean hockey. Too bad those events are so few and far between.

Yes, that olympic tournament was so entertaining, I love it.

They do not allow fighting in international hockey, players
will be thrown out of game, simple, it's so easy, and when
the players know that, it is easy for them too.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yes, that olympic tournament was so entertaining, I love it.

They do not allow fighting in international hockey, players
will be thrown out of game, simple, it's so easy, and when
the players know that, it is easy for them too.

Hurrah for international hockey rules without which some of us would not get to watch hockey played at all.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Kreskin, I am interested in knowing how big those crowds you speak of are in size? How full was GM place?

It was sold out. Luckily I got my ticket for free and sat in the 4th row. I was sent with someone else as representatives of a charitable event that included going down to the dressing room area after the game and helping a young boy (the winner of the charity event) get photographed with a player. It was fun, however looking at the price tag on the ticket reminded me that such an evening would be few and far between.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Now that all makes perfect sense to me, YK. Thanks for answering the questions. Got another for you. Why don't they cut down the number of teams and eliminate the shoot-outs? From the little I do hear about the state of hockey, many teams are having a hard time making ends meet at the box office. One would think it a no-brainer to reduce the numbers."

Mowich, some people suffer from the misconception that quantity beats quality. Pity them. Unfortunately, they are the majority, results of the liberal education system, (sorry, INDOCTRINATION SYSTEM).

Some people also suffer from the misconception that ALL games must end with one team winning and one team losing. I dare to bet that these are the same misguided, politically correct people whe demand EQUALITY in every other avenue of life.

I may be wrong, because I gave upon hockey in 1974 when the Philadelphia Bullies "won", and forever debased the Stanley Cup. Now I only wactch hockey, when I happen to tune into a station while I am channel-surfing. Hockey? Not quite! Within ten minutes, at the most, the cavemen take over and voila! there is a fight!

Let the simple-mindred enjoy the pathetic remains of a once great sport.

To be clear, I only meant the NHL.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Sorta but not quite.

Players don't want fighting to disappear because they still want the ability to exact justice on people who commit cheap shots and get away with them. Case in point is the infamous Moore-Bertuzzi incident: Moore head hunted Naslund in the previous meeting of the two teams and the Canucks as a group wanted revenge. Bertuzzi took this to an extreme level but if the league had been more responsible in its officiating, this incident might never have occured. The same theme echoes with other incidents in the NHL.

The league can facilitate this through improving the officiating and being harder on some offenses but until it does, the players are still going to fall back on this whole "frontier justice" mindset..

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Sorta but not quite.

Players don't want fighting to disappear because they still want the ability to exact justice on people who commit cheap shots and get away with them. Case in point is the infamous Moore-Bertuzzi incident: Moore head hunted Naslund in the previous meeting of the two teams and the Canucks as a group wanted revenge. Bertuzzi took this to an extreme level but if the league had been more responsible in its officiating, this incident might never have occured. The same theme echoes with other incidents in the NHL.

The league can facilitate this through improving the officiating and being harder on some offenses but until it does, the players are still going to fall back on this whole "frontier justice" mindset..

In most sports you are tossed from the game for fighting. In the NHL, you get a slap on the wrist.