Hunger

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canadians sent billions of dollars overseas to help feed the children while the children in Canadian cities starved in the streets

I don't believe this. If kids in Canada are starving it is because of their stupid parents not because of any lack of food. Welfare agencies will give anyone a meal. There are food banks in every city in the country. Children's services are more than willing to take a child who is not being looked after. There are always a few nitwits who screw up the system.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Is saying "stop having so much children" the best Canadians can do about hunger eradication?

The average Canadian is too apathetic to really understand let alone help the hunger problem here or abroad.

During one federal campaign recently I witness Jack Layton, for a photo-op, toss a toonie to a beggar. A toonie? If you wish to impress me with that kind of photo-op then how about opening up you wallet and giving that beggar every cent you have on you? How bout giving the guy coat? Show me that you genuinely care for the that beggar than any amount of money.

That's what it's going to take to solve the hunger and homelessness problem. Sacrifice. To improve the unfortunate's standard of living, ours must go down. We should be thankful that we are fortunate, and that we have the ability to make a sacrifice that truly helps someone.

The next time you come across a beggar, don't just give them a quarter. Give someone a break and toss them a 5, 10 or 20. It's nothing for you, everything to them.

Last edited:

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
It's far from easy to understand that it's precisely because charity destroys self-esteem that it's the ultimate Christian value .

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
It's far from easy to understand that it's precisely because charity destroys self-esteem that it's the ultimate Christian value .

I run my own charity and all I have witnessed is gratefulness and joy in the face of a desperate time.

Reactions: Outta here

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
In order to avoid becoming proud, Christian charity is more about asking than giving.

Even though I am a non-believer I have worked with church groups to collect goods for the needy and they have never asked for anything.

They just just want to help.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
Even though I am a non-believer I have worked with church groups to collect goods for the needy and they have never asked for anything.

They just just want to help.

Believing is the most radical form of humility.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
If we follow the main English political tradition, opened by John Locke, the first question to ask when it comes to hunger is: do the hungry have still a (natural) right to steal their food?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
If we follow the main English political tradition, opened by John Locke, the first question to ask when it comes to hunger is: do the hungry have still a (natural) right to steal their food?

Is that an answer?

If not anything you are an enigma.

Try making sense, it helps.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The only problem I can see with that is that we would be artificially causing people to live rather than die and there would be twice as many to feed next year....and the year after that.....and the year after that......:roll: Maybe just stop the wars without interfering with countries and people. Give them the means to grow their own food.

There is a picture used by those seeking to help the starving. It shows a black woman standing with her children, She is holding one child's hand. She is carrying another child and she is about 6 or 7 months pregnant. Is there really a way to help these people by feeding them?

It is a fact that countries that have a higher standard of living, where hunger, over all, is not a problem, have a lower birthrate. North America and Europe are prime examples.

Use the money that is now sunk into war to raise the standard of living among the poor, feed those that need it, and develop the undeveloped( this would include education etc.) and the birthrate will drop accordingly.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
Is that an answer?

If not anything you are an enigma.

Try making sense, it helps.

I put this topic in the international politics section to precisely avoid your kind of egotistic experiences about local charities.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Anyone who believes that Canada's best or primary response to world hunger is to advocate for birth control, is seriously out of touch with what Canada actually does.

Example. My school, a small agricultural school, partners with nations like Ethiopia to help diversify and strengthen their agricultural system.

My stats professor is the Director of the Post-Harvest Management to Improve Livelihoods Project, and is from Ethiopia. Ethiopia has staggeringly large loss of produce post-harvest, up to 60% for some crops. Cutting that post-harvest loss will make more food available for a hungry country, and improve the economy of the rural farming communities. It's an achievable goal, to export knowledge to help expand Ethiopian agricultural technology and productivity.

An investment of $3 million, given by the Canadian International Development Agency will produce huge benefits to this country as their agricultural system improves it's efficiency, and their knowledge sector grows.

He's also involved in a project seeking to improve agricultural sustainability in Ethiopia. Read here if you'd like to see more.

That's just one two-part example, of many that the CIDA makes possible.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
I hear about the same kind of rosy descriptions of cooperation projects and technological transfers since 30 years and yet the hunger problem is a growing one. I think the problem is not a problem of shortage of food at all but a political problem.