Omar Khadr- Where's the justice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I don't buy the argument about his upbringing being a part of why he did it either. Kids have a mind set of their own and being part of a so called army is like game playing, being an adult. Unfortunately in his case he was being played by adults. Children commit crimes, they should be punished accordingly.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't buy the argument about his upbringing being a part of why he did it either. Kids have a mind set of their own and being part of a so called army is like game playing, being an adult. Unfortunately in his case he was being played by adults. Children commit crimes, they should be punished accordingly.

Sure he should be punished, is 7 years torture in a foreign country enough or do you still want a gallon of blood?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sure he should be punished, is 7 years torture in a foreign country enough or do you still want a gallon of blood?

If he's found guilty of killing someone (be it as per the original arrest/accusation/allegations or anyone else), 7 years isn't enough. Murder carries a life sentence in most cases in this country. The "torture" allegation is also something yet to be proven as well.

Honestly, I don't care about Omar Khadr: whether he was "played" or not, he was a young man who made some decisions on his own, that he was old enough to know the consequences for. Some of us may not care for the US enforcing its laws in other jurisdictions around the globe, but we're trying to do the same thing.

Khadr is a "Canadian" accused of murdering a US citizen in Afghanistan. In a perfect world I would say the Afghans should be trying him but I still think the US has more claim on him (via the victim) than we do and public relations BS by Khadr's lawyers aside, I don't think its a sovereignty issue.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If he's found guilty of killing someone (be it as per the original arrest/accusation/allegations or anyone else), 7 years isn't enough. Murder carries a life sentence in most cases in this country. The "torture" allegation is also something yet to be proven as well.

Honestly, I don't care about Omar Khadr: whether he was "played" or not, he was a young man who made some decisions on his own, that he was old enough to know the consequences for. Some of us may not care for the US enforcing its laws in other jurisdictions around the globe, but we're trying to do the same thing.

Khadr is a "Canadian" accused of murdering a US citizen in Afghanistan. In a perfect world I would say the Afghans should be trying him but I still think the US has more claim on him (via the victim) than we do and public relations BS by Khadr's lawyers aside, I don't think its a sovereignty issue.

If you care to check, a "life sentence" for a youth in Canada is 7 years and that doesn't include torture. But first of all they would have to prove the "murder" was deliberate. It would be very nice and convenient to tar him with the same brush as the rest of the radical Muslims.......anyway you have a right to your opinions, but personally I think he should be released now with $100,000 to put him back on his feet.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If you care to check, a "life sentence" for a youth in Canada is 7 years and that doesn't include torture. But first of all they would have to prove the "murder" was deliberate. It would be very nice and convenient to tar him with the same brush as the rest of the radical Muslims.......anyway you have a right to your opinions, but personally I think he should be released now with $100,000 to put him back on his feet.

So not only would you release him without any sort of trial you would also give him $100,000? At a minimum he's a traitor, why would we be rewarding him for that?

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cs/C-46///en?page=1
(c) assists an enemy at war with Canada, or any armed forces against whom Canadian Forces are engaged in hostilities, whether or not a state of war exists between Canada and the country whose forces they are.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So not only would you release him without any sort of trial you would also give him $100,000? At a minimum he's a traitor, why would we be rewarding him for that?

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cs/C-46///en?page=1
(c) assists an enemy at war with Canada, or any armed forces against whom Canadian Forces are engaged in hostilities, whether or not a state of war exists between Canada and the country whose forces they are.

It's not rocket science, he wasn't treated to the process of law, as far as I know he never even got the Miranda read to him.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It's not rocket science, he wasn't treated to the process of law, as far as I know he never even got the Miranda read to him.

What law process do you want him to face, Criminal, Military tribunal? I'm pretty sure the Miranda doesn't apply outside of criminal law.

Regardless, if he is sent back to Canada he should have to face the music for the crime he committed against his own country: High Treason.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you care to check, a "life sentence" for a youth in Canada is 7 years and that doesn't include torture.

last time I checked...neither Afghanistan, US Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, or America does not subject itself to Canadian Law.

But first of all they would have to prove the "murder" was deliberate.

Tossing frags is not deliberate?

It would be very nice and convenient to tar him with the same brush as the rest of the radical Muslims.......anyway you have a right to your opinions, but personally I think he should be released now with $100,000 to put him back on his feet.

I do think he should be released to Canada to save us the trouble. If Canada wants to give him 100K Loonies they can.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What law process do you want him to face, Criminal, Military tribunal? I'm pretty sure the Miranda doesn't apply outside of criminal law.

I don't think it matters what law process he faces. It is the result that will be the most important.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Conservatives have a perfect track record when comes to helping Canadian Citizens who are visible minorities they don't unless they are ordered by the Supreme Court of Canada to do it

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Conservatives have a perfect track record when comes to helping Canadian Citizens who are visible minorities they don't unless they are ordered by the Supreme Court of Canada to do it

Funny, the Liberals never demanded that Khadr be sent back to Canada either. try again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You're also making a silly assumption that the majority of people in Ontario ever want to see the scumbag again. Him and his family aren't exactly loved by the masses.

And I count myself among the masses. This 'kid' killed soldiers or is so accused of doing. What in heaven's name we want him back in Canada for is simply beyond me. Let the states try, convict and send him to one of their penitentiaries. I have zero, zip, nada, sympathy for accused terrorists and this kid in one of them. Lots of people had bad lives, they didn't pick up a rifle and kill someone. Enough of this poor Omar bull puckey. Enough.

But then, that's just my opinion... and in this case, I am sticking to it.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Taliban had nothing to do with 9/11. The US and their allies (including Canada) went to Afghanistan and attacked the Taliban. We brought war to them. The US classified the Taliban as "illegal combatants" and subjected captured Taliban to torture and other inhumane treatment. No such classification is recognized by International Law.

According to international law, Either captured Taliban are POWs and subject to Geneva Conventions or they are criminals and entitled to due process.

Whenever a Canadian citizen is held in a foreign prison and subjected to torture and other inhumane treatment, the Canadian government has an obligation to demand that Canadians are treated fairly and humanely as well as intervene on their behalf. Khadr was tortured in a foreign prison and the Canadian government was complicit in that torture and ill treatment.

What Kadr is alleged to have done is besides the point. If he's a criminal he's entitled to a trial. If he is a POW he is entitled to treatment as per Geneva conventions. If he is a child soldier, he is entitled to be treated as such.

At 15, Khadr met the definition of a child soldier. Here is the way child soldiers are viewed and treated according to international laws, treaties and conventions:

Child Soldiers | Children of Conflict | BBC World Service

Is Canada a nation of laws? Khadr's case indicates that Canada just is a mob of angry people intent on lynching children.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Khadr is a child soldier, influenced by his parents to go on a dumb jihad. Bring him back.

I think Khadr's parents should be deported for advocating fighting against Western soldiers. Why no punishment for them? If this is not the definition of a violent hate crime in Canada, I don't know what is.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
The Taliban had nothing to do with 9/11. The US and their allies (including Canada) went to Afghanistan and attacked the Taliban. We brought war to them. The US classified the Taliban as "illegal combatants" and...

Whoa! Hold up there spin doctor!

We brought the war to them... BECAUSE they were harboring a terrorist who just murdered innocent people, not to mention attacked freedom to which freedom loving nations have a duty to defend!

Further, the Taliban were asked originally to hand Osama over, to which they first agreed and then quickly backed out.

PLUS! They were brutalizing the poor everyday people of Afghanistan who DO want and love freedom! It was our DUTY to overthrow them.

Last edited:
Reactions: EagleSmack

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope they never send him back, we don't need people like this in our country.
In fact the whole family, what's left of them have bad mouthed our ways and
its time this country said enough is enough. If it goes to trial he will be found
guilty and sentenced to life. Actually he could get the death penalty but I think
the Americans will pass on that sentence. It is not about white Canadians or
or black Canadians or Brown Canadians, its about people who engage in terror
or support the other side in an armed conflict. If he was with the enemy he
was part of the fight in one way or another and he deserves what he gets.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Whoa! Hold up there spin doctor!

We brought the war to them... BECAUSE they were harboring a terrorist who just murdered innocent people, not to mention attacked freedom to which freedom loving nations have a duty to defend!

Further, the Taliban were asked originally to hand Osama over, to which they first agreed and then quickly backed out.

PLUS! They were brutalizing the poor everyday people of Afghanistan who DO want and love freedom! It was our DUTY to overthrow them.

Whoa! Who is the spin doctor here? Your political views are as naive as your religious ones. The mainstream press is not a reliable source of information. It is all propaganda. We are not in Afghanistan peddling freedom or democracy. We have no rational or legitimate reason to be there.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
BS. The Taliban had no interests outside Afghanistan. Give me an example of the Taliban threatening Canada or the US, let alone attacking the US or Canada. The US had a reason to attack people suspected of being involved in 9./11, but they had no justification supporting their attack of the Taliban.

I doubt the US would deport people in the US to the Taliban based on unproven allegations. Yet you believe the Taliban should have handed over people to the US based on allegations alone? Why? The US had no extradition treaty with Afghanistan. Do you believe in the rule of law or the rule of the mob?

Omar Khadr lived in a compound which was attacked by hostile foreigners and they legally defended themselves as per international law. At a minimum they are POWs or criminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.