Ramadan

diamond lady

Jun 5, 2007
Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives.​
During Ramadan, Muslims fast from dawn to sunset every day. This means not to eat, drink or smoke during the daylight hours. For married adults, it also includes refraining from marital relations during the hours of fasting (i.e. the daylight hours). The fasting person is expected to do his best to practice self control and discipline, not to get angry easy, refrain from using harsh language or insults and to tolerate, forgive and respect others. .
The elderly and the chronically ill,have to feed a poor person for each day they cannot fast. Sick people can compensate by fasting other days when they feel well,Children dont have to fast.

Oh you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you many learn piety and righteousness" (Quraan 2:183)

YouTube - ‪Muslims Welcome Holy Month of Ramadan‬‎

Reactions: selin

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Then, Happy Ramadan :)

as you have just mentioned "The fasting person is expected to do his best to practice self control and discipline, not to get angry easy, refrain from using harsh language or insults and to tolerate, forgive and respect others", Ramadan has benefits for humanbeings in terms of morality and health ...even non-Muslim researchers considers fasting as beneficial for the functions of organs -Organs need rest too .

Sanctions all in Quran are geared to human's well-being and have meanings, reasons not for any dogma or it would be hard for me to accept it.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Ramadan is a special month of the year for over one billion Muslims throughout the world. It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives.​

During Ramadan, Muslims fast from dawn to sunset every day. This means not to eat, drink or smoke during the daylight hours. For married adults, it also includes refraining from marital relations during the hours of fasting (i.e. the daylight hours). The fasting person is expected to do his best to practice self control and discipline, not to get angry easy, refrain from using harsh language or insults and to tolerate, forgive and respect others. .
The elderly and the chronically ill,have to feed a poor person for each day they cannot fast. Sick people can compensate by fasting other days when they feel well,Children dont have to fast.

Oh you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you many learn piety and righteousness" (Quraan 2:183)

YouTube - ‪Muslims Welcome Holy Month of Ramadan‬‎

Fasting is prescribed for Muslims as was it prescribed for Jews before

1-
When fasting of the month of Ramadan was prescribed by God as in the Quran 2: 183

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

The explanation:
(O believers, fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those [Children of Israel] before you; that you may ward off [disease.])

That is because the fasting is prescribed by God in the Quran for believers, just as had God prescribed it for the Children of Israel in the past.

Jews fast for 23 hours/ day: they break their fast only for one hour following the sun-set.
==========================================================

2-

So at the beginning, Muslims started to fast like Jews 23 hours/ day; but that caused many difficulties for many of them: when some were outside the city then came after the hour of fasting elapsed so he continued the fasting for two successive days.

Other believers: youths with their hot blood, they cheated their wives to have sexual contact with them, which was a disobedience then.

So God – be glorified – made some alleviation and made the fasting for the whole night: from the start of the night darkness till dawn. So during this period of time, people can eat, drink and have sexual intercourse with their wives --- and this is lawful until dawn.

Therefore, the aya 2: 187
أُحِلَّ لَكُمْ لَيْلَةَ الصِّيَامِ الرَّفَثُ إِلَى نِسَآئِكُمْ هُنَّ لِبَاسٌ لَّكُمْ وَأَنتُمْ لِبَاسٌ لَّهُنَّ عَلِمَ اللّهُ أَنَّكُمْ كُنتُمْ تَخْتانُونَ أَنفُسَكُمْ فَتَابَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَعَفَا عَنكُمْ فَالآنَ بَاشِرُوهُنَّ وَابْتَغُواْ مَا كَتَبَ اللّهُ لَكُمْ وَكُلُواْ وَاشْرَبُواْ حَتَّى يَتَبَيَّنَ لَكُمُ الْخَيْطُ الأَبْيَضُ مِنَ الْخَيْطِ الأَسْوَدِ مِنَ الْفَجْرِ ثُمَّ أَتِمُّواْ الصِّيَامَ إِلَى الَّليْلِ وَلاَ تُبَاشِرُوهُنَّ وَأَنتُمْ عَاكِفُونَ فِي الْمَسَاجِدِ تِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللّهِ فَلاَ تَقْرَبُوهَا كَذَلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللّهُ آيَاتِهِ لِلنَّاسِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَّقُونَ

The explanation:
(It is made lawful for you to make sexual contact with your wives on the night of the fast. They are your cloak [or repose for you] and you are their cloak [or repose for them.]

God knew that you used to defraud yourselves, so He has relented towards you and has forgiven you. Now you may have sexual intercourse with them, and crave what God has ordained for you. And eat and drink until the whiteness of the daybreak will be distinct to you from the blackness of night.

Then continue the fast till the night.

But never have sexual intercourse with them when you devote yourselves [for worship] in mosques [that is the period of time between Sunset and the night prayer about 1 1/2 hours following the sunset.]

These are the rules of God, so draw not near to [change] them. As such will God make clear His signs [of revelation] to people, that haply they may ward off [the disobedience of God.])

This is according to the interpretation of Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly the late interpreter of the Quran and the Bible.​

See my next post about the mistake of Muslims about the breaking of their fast in Ramadan :smile:​

Last edited:

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
The mistake of Muslims regarding their breakfast in Ramadan

This illustrates that most Muslims follow their traditions rather than the Quran itself. I.e. if there is a tradition narrated from the prophet or one of his companions or one of his family, then most Muslims will follow that tradition and do not follow the Quran itself.

Sunni have their breakfast at the sun-set time, and Shiaa have their breakfast about 10 minutes later.

While in the Quran, it is recommeded that the breakfast should be at the night time, which is the darkness: that is about 15-20 minutes following the sun-set time; because at the time of the sun-set, it is not dark, and even one can read a newspaper but after man prays his sun-set prayer, then another 2 rakaa that is not obligatory, so then he may have his breakfast.

This is in the aya 2: 187

ثُمَّ أَتِمُّواْ الصِّيَامَ إِلَىالَّليْلِ

The explanation:
(Then continue the fast till the night.)

Last edited:

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey

This illustrates that most Muslims follow their traditions rather than the Quran itself. I.e. if there is a tradition narrated from the prophet or one of his companions or one of his family, then most Muslims will follow that tradition and do not follow the Quran itself.

Sunni have their breakfast at the sun-set time, and Shiaa have their breakfast about 10 minutes later.
While in the Quran, it is recommeded thatthe breakfast should be at the night time, which is the darkness: that is about 15-20 minutes following the sun-set time; because at the time of the sun-set, it is not dark, and even one can read a newspaper but after man pray his sun-set prayer, then another 2 rakaa that is not obligatory, so then he may have his breakfast.

Eanassir, you know the third (evening) Azan is recited at a time when it is dark so there is no problem.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do you gentlemen actually have anything to contribute to a discussion about Ramadan beyond just bashing Muslims?

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Eanassir, you know the third (evening) Azan is recited at a time when it is dark so there is no problem.

No problem concerning all whether they have their breakfast early like the Sunni or somewhat later like the Shiaa; but the correct thing is what is prescribed in the aya just mentioned: that is to complete or fulfill the fasting till night when it is dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
A few friends of mine practice this and always invite me to the feast at the end.;-)

In my experience it has show cased their generosity and love.

They have always explained to me they do it to feel what those who go hungry experience and gain a greater appreciation of what they have instead of what they don't.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Do you gentlemen actually have anything to contribute to a discussion about Ramadan beyond just bashing Muslims?

also , they don't know that stonning is a law executed by one or two Muslim countries(which most of the muslims all over the world censure and ignore for their brutal actions made up as if Quran imposed and forced) -not law of Islam any.

they should have read the first posts for what they are about...

Last edited by a moderator:

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Fasting the month of Ramadan is only a worship practiced as obedience to God's command in the Quran. And God told us in the Quran, that the past nations of the Children of Israel had this worship prescribed to them in the same manner.

And of course, such fasting certainly have many benefits: health advantages, and social and moral and expending the alms to the poor for the sake of God alone and reciting the Quran is recommended in this blessed month.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
oh give me a break both of you... one liner combative posts is NOT the same thing as expounding on the implications of Ramadan and the death pentaly, or eanassirs post and how it factors in to Ramadan.

Stop highjacking the thread, or discuss like grown ups instead of trolls.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
With respect to your holiday Selin and eanassir I hope it's a meaningful one.

I hope to be back from holiday to participate at the end....love that lamb.;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I took lent very seriously this year which, in the Catholic faith, is much the same as Ramadan. I found it to be a great exercise in personal reflection. I hope you find the same in your celebration of Ramadan.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And here ladies and gentlemen, is the invite...

While in the Quran, it is recommeded that the breakfast should be at the night time, which is the darkness: that is about 15-20 minutes following the sun-set time; because at the time of the sun-set, it is not dark, and even one can read a newspaper but after man prays his sun-set prayer, then another 2 rakaa that is not obligatory, so then he may have his breakfast.

ثُمَّ أَتِمُّواْ الصِّيَامَ إِلَىالَّليْلِ

The explanation:
(Then continue the fast till the night.)

Why would you want to create, then promote a divide, about an event as significant as Ramadan.

Don't you think that contributes to the whole issue, where a Muslim should fear or hate another Muslim, more so than any infidel?

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And here ladies and gentlemen, is the invite...Why would you want to create, then promote a divide, about an event as significant as Ramadan.

Don't you think that contributes to the whole issue, where a Muslim should fear or hate another Muslim, more so than any infidel?

I have worked with people of the Muslim Faith for years - and where I work - i make very possible attempt, changing schedules etc so as to ensure they can adhere to the requirements of Ramadan - and Eid as well - The othe Security Officers all cooperate and we bounce around to do this. We all work together

But at times it is not always possible to do.

But we make every attempt possible - and yes for those that may ask - We exceed, and I ensure we do, the reuirements as laid out by the SCOC regarding Reasnable Accomodation for persons of any religious faith.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
And here ladies and gentlemen, is the invite...Why would you want to create, then promote a divide, about an event as significant as Ramadan.

This is not any dividing; all have their breakfast and it is OK, but we acquaint them about the correct statement in the Quran. While to you it is so evident that you are sincere and want Muslims to love each other :roll: