Are we all Hindus now?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
There is a very interesting article by Lisa Miller in The Newsweek about religion in USA.

America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

Commentary: "We Are All Hindus Now" By: Lisa Miller (Nation-wide)

By that she means that many Christians (religious right excluded, of course) accept that there may be more than one path to the truth, that one could worship many different Gods and still achieve Salvation. That is the classical Hindu belief. Indeed, most Eastern religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism etc.) share this belief. Most of the Eastern religions can really be considered offshoots of Hinduism.

According to Ms. Miller, we are not Hindus, but American (and also I assume Canadian) society is beginning to show some Hindu traits. I tend to agree.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

Yes , yes we are . now , thank you come again

Jamirez

Feb 20, 2010
There is a very interesting article by Lisa Miller in The Newsweek about religion in USA.

America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

By that she means that many Christians (religious right excluded, of course) accept that there may be more than one path to the truth, that one could worship many different Gods and still achieve Salvation. That is the classical Hindu belief. Indeed, most Eastern religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Jainism etc.) share this belief. Most of the Eastern religions can really be considered offshoots of Hinduism.

According to Ms. Miller, we are not Hindus, but American (and also I assume Canadian) society is beginning to show some Hindu traits. I tend to agree.

Where did the name Hindu come from? The term "Hindu" was created by the invader Muslims when they invaded India. The called it Hindu to refer to beliefs of the people in Hindustan (now India). (Google yourself and learn some history)

The Gurus never call it Hindu, they call it Spiritual Paths to Enlightenment. There are many ways to be enlightened that way includes christianity as well.

Maybe the right statement should be "Now Americans are more open minded to spiritual paths than before..."

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Religion is not a spiritual path. It is a rigid adherence to dogma. Religion is designed to keep adherents from reaching enlightenment because if they did they would realize they dodn't need religion or their leaders and the cash cow would dry up.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Religion is not a spiritual path. It is a rigid adherence to dogma. Religion is designed to keep adherents from reaching enlightenment because if they did they would realize they dodn't need religion or their leaders and the cash cow would dry up.

A spiritual path is a spiritual path. If one wants to wrap oneself in religion to achieve it, and doesn't interfere or hurt others in so doing, what's the harm?

Saying the beads, meditation, dancing around beating a fukkin tom tom ..........same sh1t..

eh.8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

So are we all going to be cows in the next incarnation? :lol::lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
So are we all going to be cows in the next incarnation? :lol::lol:
I'm not! Enough milking going on in my life time. I'm coming back as a dog - a male dog! Lots of leg lifting in sight.:lol:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I was rather surprised to see this old thread revived.

Where did the name Hindu come from? The term "Hindu" was created by the invader Muslims when they invaded India. The called it Hindu to refer to beliefs of the people in Hindustan (now India). (Google yourself and learn some history)

The term ‘Hindu was not created by Muslims. It is an old Persian term (Middle Persian Hindūk, New Persian Hindū), which the Muslims used to describe inhabitants in India. It also appears in Zend Avesta (I assume you know that that is?), Hapta Həndu, which predates Islam by thousands of years.

So the term Hindu was not created by Muslims as you seem to think. The term Hindu corresponds to the Sindhu River (Indus river) mentioned in the Vedas. The term Hapta Hindu comes from the Sanskrit phrase Sapta Sindhu (the land of seven rivers).

In short, the term Hindu has nothing whatever to do with Muslims; they may have used it when describing the inhabitants of India, but that is it. It predates Islam by thousands of years.

Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you learned it from Google (that the term Hindu was coined by the Muslims), then you have obviously been reading some Islamic website, where they would claim that everything was invented by the Muslims.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Quite so, Cliffy. Religion and spirituality are two different things. Spirituality tends to be benign, benevolent. Religion is many times malevolent.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quite so, Cliffy. Religion and spirituality are two different things. Spirituality tends to be benign, benevolent. Religion is many times malevolent.
Really? Buddhism, for instance?

A spiritual person can be defined as one who is in touch with their own essence. That doesn't preclude people who have a malicious nature.

A religion is simply a set of beliefs and can be "malevolent" or not.

"Ah, whatta maroon". - B Bunny

But you are right that the two are different.