Religulous the movie

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Anyone else seen this yet? I like Bill Maher as a comedian partly because I find he's one of the few people who will speak his mind regardless of what anyone else thinks. This movie takes on basically all religions. It was really interesting.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't think he calls people stupid, just points out the irrationality of religion. Most religious people would admit that faith isn't rational anyways. I think it makes a good case for why some of us aren't religious and why that's a reasonable position to take.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hubby and I saw it opening night. It was well worth it, I can assure you! We spent most of the evening laughing. He asks a lot of good questions, some of which require a lot of serious thought. It's just the right mix of humor and seriousness. I thought it was very well done.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I don't think he calls people stupid, just points out the irrationality of religion. Most religious people would admit that faith isn't rational anyways. I think it makes a good case for why some of us aren't religious and why that's a reasonable position to take.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....back the train up. Are you trying to say that anybody that believes in God is irrational?

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
There was an E-Mail went accross my desk about a week ago-gist was to boycott this and make sure everyone knew that they portray Jesus and his disciples as gay men. Haven't heard of any picketts and demonstrators though.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'm looking forward to seeing it.

There was an E-Mail went accross my desk about a week ago-gist was to boycott this and make sure everyone knew that they portray Jesus and his disciples as gay men

so they weren't happy afterall? Maybe they started the original emo movement then...

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Whoa, whoa, whoa....back the train up. Are you trying to say that anybody that believes in God is irrational?

The belief in something you can't prove isn't rational. It doesn't mean they are irrational in general, but yes faith is irrational. That's the point of it. If all the tenets of religion could be proven, why would faith be special?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
There was an E-Mail went accross my desk about a week ago-gist was to boycott this and make sure everyone knew that they portray Jesus and his disciples as gay men. Haven't heard of any picketts and demonstrators though.

I never got that out of the movie (unless it was when I took a bathroom break). He did point out the truth which is that Jesus never talked about homosexuality and Bill Maher poked fun of the ex-gay movement. I think he really believes Jesus was just made up. That may offend a lot of Christians.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
His point isn't that faith is wrong,

He himself claims often he is not an athiest. His claim is that certainty about faith seems pretty stupid.

If you sit there and think about whats going on.

Someone comes up to you and says "Hey, this guy said 2000 years ago this other guy was born as the child of god, except he was also god, and a ghost..so he's kind of his own grandpa, and he knocked up a virgin, and there was some other stuff about rising from the dead and walking on water, and I can't prove any of this, but hey, wanna go accept it as real and tell some gay people they are evil?"

That would seem pretty off.. I mean, if you are just going to trust that a book other people have written is true "scouts honour" with no proof, why would you accept Christian doctrine but reject Islamic Doctrine?

How could you know which one is true?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Alleyway,

Belief in god may not be irrational if one has an experience that leads one to believe they have had a religious experience of god, but religion only requires blind belief in someone else's interpretation of dusty old writings. It is the belief that what you believe is truer than what everybody else believes that is irrational. With thousands of variants in christianity alone, how can anybody be sure their version is better than others?

No one has ever become enlightened that did not first pay their dues buy doing battle with their own demons, spending the time by their self to clear the clutter from their heads so they can listen to and hear the still small voice that speaks to them from the heart. This does not require religion or gods. But it does require a commitment to finding the truth. Accepting someone else's version is a lazy man's way and will lead down blind alleys and leave you in the dark.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Too bad. Some pickets and demonstrations will send the ticket sale through the roof.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

You got it, except you are not phrasing it right. The belief in God is irrational, that does not make the person who believes in God irrational. He may be perfectly rational person in all other aspects of life. He may hold just this one irrational belief. That does not necessarily make him an irrational person.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I haven’t seen the movie, but Bill Maher is a very talented, very gifted comic. I still remember his cameo appearance in the sitcom ‘Dharma and Greg’.

In that, Greg is running for city council and is caught having sex with a woman in his car. That causes a scandal, until it is revealed that the woman was his wife.

Bill Maher had a small cameo, and he was commenting on the incidence.

“Well, I don’t know what to make of this politician. He was having sex with his wife, so obviously he can’t be a Democrat. But he was having sex, so he can’t be a Republican.”

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You got it, except you are not phrasing it right. The belief in God is irrational, that does not make the person who believes in God irrational. He may be perfectly rational person in all other aspects of life. He may hold just this one irrational belief. That does not necessarily make him an irrational person.
Sir Joe: I know you are expecting this. The lack of belief in God is irrational - not the other way around. I know beyond a doubt that you believe what you are saying is as true as me believing what I am saying. I also believe it is wrong for you to make such a statement. It's one thing to state it is your belief that a person who believes in God is irrational in that belief but quite another to state they are irrational in that belief. You are not anymore knowledgeable regarding the existance of God than myself or anyone else is. You as an atheist have your beliefs - irrational or otherwise regarding God and/or religion and I as a christian, have mine. You are stating it as a fact and there is no way of knowing that and while we walk this earth, there never will be. One member of your family believes in God and one does not. Do you actually believe that one member is irrational in that belief?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Alleyway,

Belief in god may not be irrational if one has an experience that leads one to believe they have had a religious experience of god, but religion only requires blind belief in someone else's interpretation of dusty old writings. It is the belief that what you believe is truer than what everybody else believes that is irrational. With thousands of variants in christianity alone, how can anybody be sure their version is better than others?

No one has ever become enlightened that did not first pay their dues buy doing battle with their own demons, spending the time by their self to clear the clutter from their heads so they can listen to and hear the still small voice that speaks to them from the heart. This does not require religion or gods. But it does require a commitment to finding the truth. Accepting someone else's version is a lazy man's way and will lead down blind alleys and leave you in the dark.
Regarding believing in God or for that matter for believing or not believing in anything or anyone, the underlined message above shows that truer words have not been spoken!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Alleyway,

Cliff, there will never be a day when you will know what part of those dusty old writings as you call them, are true. It's un-realistic to say all we read in the bible is the absolute truth and equally un-realistic to say otherwise. History is history and there has to be lots of truths in there.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The belief in something you can't prove isn't rational. It doesn't mean they are irrational in general, but yes faith is irrational. That's the point of it. If all the tenets of religion could be proven, why would faith be special?
Tracy: Do you believe in love? How do you prove to someone that you love them. How does someone prove their love to you? Not hugs, kisses or anything else proves love but we all believe in it. Does that make that belief irrational?