The USA and Religion......

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Interesting piece in today's Globe and Mail....

Over 35,000 Americans surveyed:

71% were "absolutely certain" of the existence of God.

39% attended religious services at least once a week (compared to 20% in Canada)

10% claimed to have experienced or witnessed what might loosely be called a "faith healing".

I am not sure that God is on the side of the Americans, but it seems certain the Americans are on God's side. :)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colpy

How familiar are you with statistical analysis? I'm not at all familiar so I have to ask questions....

Is this a representative sampling? (Who was asked and under what circumstances) Do the opinions of these many fairly represent the "majority" of 300 million people? Is/are the question/questions asked in a leading or "directed-toward-a-particular anser..?

If you polled the junkies and women of the evening in the San Franscisco Bay area...or the county fair in Oklahoma...would this effect the responses....possible outcome....conclusions....?

I'm not suprised that so many Americans believe in "god", it is after all on their currency and every oath and pledge contains references....

Not sure that this has any meaning of any kind.....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Without thier insane beliefs in God they could not function with the load of guilt they carry. I saw a clip of John Hagee last night, he has a huge following, not uncommon with a psycopathic monster, he's evil incarnate.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Freaking stereotypes.

Assuming moral superiority seems to be contagious.

I'll bet you that most church congregations aren't anywhere near the freak level most outsiders presume.

They fall asleep through sermons. They pick and choose. They attend. It provides a look at the end of a week. They decide. They socialize. It's a moment of time on a Sunday.

I know this doesn't match the current biased zeitgeist perceptions.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Jimmoyer suggests that assumption of moral superiority is contagious....

Please read the thread where Jim tells us all about the moral superiority of America....

Darfur.....et al.

Contagious indeed!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Corn dogs are gross.

I definitely think Americans are more religious than Canadians, but there are also plenty of agnostics out here too. I have to say, even the hard core religious ones have always been tolerant of my views and never try to make me feel bad for not believing in Jesus. Well, except my old neighbour, but she's a nutball so I really don't care.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Corn dogs are gross.

I definitely think Americans are more religious than Canadians, but there are also plenty of agnostics out here too. I have to say, even the hard core religious ones have always been tolerant of my views and never try to make me feel bad for not believing in Jesus. Well, except my old neighbour, but she's a nutball so I really don't care.

It's not the ones who believe in Jesus you have to worry about. It's the ones who believe Jesus is an American who are dangerous - and the ones who have worked Islam into a tizzy.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Just by sheer size alone, I know there are double the number of Americans over Canadians who are hardly religious but get lumped in the stats so outsiders feel superior.

You'd all know this for sure if you sat in a pew and saw the yawns and snoring going on.
Huge amounts of church goers hardly subscribe to all of their church's rigidity. Few follow doctine. Few are doctrinaire. It's a thing. Once a week. A lot of it is socializing. And a byproduct happens to be you might think about your behavior once a week--something no nation can brag that a majority of its citizens are introspective, n'est pas?

This thread is just typical ala stereo.

Go 3d. Go quadrophonic.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Just by sheer size alone, I know there are double the number of Americans over Canadians who are hardly religious but get lumped in the stats so outsiders feel superior.

Feeling superior? Isn't that what the religious wing nuts are supposed to be doing?

And it doesn't matter about double the number of Americans over Canadians.... we already know you guys have a larger population then us..... but when it comes to Ratio, that's where the numbers come into play.

You'd all know this for sure if you sat in a pew and saw the yawns and snoring going on. Huge amounts of church goers hardly subscribe to all of their church's rigidity. Few follow doctine. Few are doctrinaire. It's a thing. Once a week. A lot of it is socializing. And a byproduct happens to be you might think about your behavior once a week--something no nation can brag that a majority of its citizens are introspective, n'est pas?

This thread is just typical ala stereo.

Go 3d. Go quadrophonic.

^ And I would like to take this time to point out what exactly was said above, which can be said about the majority of Muslims outside of the US and how they get generalized and stereo-typed into the Extremist groups.

I mean, if you guys don't have the problem generalizing Muslims as being enemies to our way of life, then you shouldn't have any issue with us Generalizing you guys the way we are as seen above as being majority Christian to the Extreme... I mean, you guys don't practice hypocracy now do you? :p

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
And it doesn't matter about double the number of Americans over Canadians.... we already know you guys have a larger population then us..... but when it comes to Ratio, that's where the numbers come into play.
------------------------------------------------------Praxius-----------------------------------------------

Ah, yes, the revered ratio.

Still holding on to your pet images ?

You think short cuts in stat gathering are made? Yep. They look at a church's total membership as recorded and then assume all in that membership follow every tenet, every doctrinaire belief.

And your point about muslims is exactly correct.
Now do a little excercise and replace the word "muslim" with "American Christians" and your point still is true.

Now keep your posts a little short, mi hermano, you know us Americans, we're bloated and A.D.D. and narrowminded as hell.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
------------------------------------------------------Praxius-----------------------------------------------

Ah, yes, the revered ratio.

Still holding on to your pet images ?

You think short cuts in stat gathering are made? Yep. They look at a church's total membership as recorded and then assume all in that membership follow every tenet, every doctrinaire belief.

And your point about muslims is exactly correct.
Now do a little excercise and replace the word "muslim" with "American Christians" and your point still is true.

Now keep your posts a little short, mi hermano, you know us Americans, we're bloated and A.D.D. and narrowminded as hell.

Well so long as we understand each other.