A prayer.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Many people pray - in all faiths and in all cultures. Even people with no faith sometimes find themselves drawn to reach out some spiritual reality bigger than themselves. This can happen from a sense of gratitude and wonder or in times of despair and trouble.Do you view prayer as a hunger for meaning and spirtuality and to find greater meaning and fulfillment in your live?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Many people pray - in all faiths and in all cultures. Even people with no faith sometimes find themselves drawn to reach out some spiritual reality bigger than themselves. This can happen from a sense of gratitude and wonder or in times of despair and trouble.Do you view prayer as a hunger for meaning and spirtuality and to find greater meaning and fulfillment in your live?

China

I think prayer for me is reaching inward rather than outward at some entity far beyond my vision or senses. I think we are endowed with great power but are unaware of it because we are so busy trying to solve immediate problems by action and reaction rather than reflection and solution.

Often a quiet moment could be called prayer - but I think it is giving our mind time to adjust to receiving the answers we need. If we are frantically searching for a solution - we may miss our opportunity.

Prayer may not always grant our wishes and we need to look beyond the success we hope
we deserve by having our prayers 'answered'.

Finally prayer or quiet reflection can also nourish acceptance which is an important habit to encourage in ourselves. To find positives even in the negatives.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I think I do view prayer as a hunger or a plea for meaning and mercy and understanding for my stupidity and lack of accomplishment and utility of the gifts that have been assembled in me by something greater.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Thanks Curio , darkbeaver ,
Personally I have bin praying constantly for many years.

I think I am still praying ,but I'm not to aware of it.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I feel prayer is a means of trying to seek something more greater then yourself to fix your problems. I always felt it was a method of trying to avoid not just your own responsibilities in life, but to expect some sort of miricle to solve those responsibilities. Perhaps prayer can help someone come to the conclusions they need in a situation and thus it can work.... for my own experiences in years gone by, it's just a waste of time.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I feel prayer is a means of trying to seek something more greater then yourself to fix your problems. I always felt it was a method of trying to avoid not just your own responsibilities in life, but to expect some sort of miricle to solve those responsibilities. Perhaps prayer can help someone come to the conclusions they need in a situation and thus it can work.... for my own experiences in years gone by, it's just a waste of time.

There has been a lot said and written about wasteing time. It's quite subjective though isn't it? I mean it is your time I assume, why do you feel quilty for wasteing it? Are you really wasteing the time or are you just cowering in the light of convention? What unconscious need requires that you waste time and is that time truely wasted? Can we be aware of wasting time before we can proove that we have such as when we have failed to catch a fish after a period of fishing? Am I wasting time talking to you about it? We don't even know what time is so how in hell can we be so sure we're wasting it?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Prayer can also be a form of suggestive self-hypnosis.

Prayer has a more positive tone. You generally pray for something good, forget the exceptions for a moment.

Prayer can also be restful. The physical act of praying can have a calming effect on the body.

Prayer's cousin is meditation, or repeating a mantra gently, its effects on health manifold.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
There has been a lot said and written about wasteing time. It's quite subjective though isn't it? I mean it is your time I assume, why do you feel quilty for wasteing it? Are you really wasteing the time or are you just cowering in the light of convention? What unconscious need requires that you waste time and is that time truely wasted? Can we be aware of wasting time before we can proove that we have such as when we have failed to catch a fish after a period of fishing? Am I wasting time talking to you about it? We don't even know what time is so how in hell can we be so sure we're wasting it?

Simply put... praying for something to change, or praying for the answers to why something is the way it is.... and then get no answers or change in any relation whatsoever in regards to what you prayed for.... is the waste of time, when I could be thinking of other ways of solving the problem myself.

Praying to me is when you attempt to seek the answers from outward.... meditation is seeking the answers within.