Ostara- Spring Equinox

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Ostara

Ostara (Eostre) circa March 21, also known as the Spring or Vernal Equinox, is one of two dates where day and night are equal; a point of balance, after which the forces of light gain power and preeminence over the powers of darkness until it reaches its ultimate at Midsummer.
Deities honored during this festival are those of the maiden goddess and the youthful, warrior god. The sabbat takes its name from Eostra (Ostara), the Goddess of the Dawn, the Saxon Goddess who heralds the triumphant rebirth of the Sun and the return of the greening season. Hellenic traditions celebrate the return of Persephone, Demeter's daughter, from Hades. Some sects see this as the time of courtship between the God and the Goddess, whose relationship will then be consummated at the following sabbat of Beltaine.
When the Catholic Church preempted this rite, as with so many others, it kept the essence of the sabbat, but appropriated its essential properties for Christ. Ostara has always been a rite celebrating the resurrection and restoration of the Sun. The Holy Roman Church simply ascribed the resurrection to Christ, also known as the Son, who is also described in biblical terms as "the Light." Even the way in which "Easter" is arrived at is Pagan in origin, calculated from the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Equinox. That is, of course, unless a full moon falls on that date; at which time, the Easter sabbath falls on the following Sunday. While they were forced by an unchangeable astronomical event into keeping the essential date of the original Pagan Sabbat, it seems that having the Holy Easter Sabbath on a full moon was simply too much for the Church to abide!
Ostara is the beginning of the fertility festivals. Buds begin to push their way through the earth to reach the strengthening sun's light; animals in the wild feel the ancient instinct to breed; the energies of Nature shift subtly from the torpor of Winter to the exuberant activity of Spring. It is a time of new beginnings, of action, of saying goodbye to the old and making room for the new. We can see this urge reflected in our lives even today. We talk of "Spring cleaning" and "In Spring, a young man's fancy turns to..."; the desire to run the greening fields (or, in our world, walk the parks, fish, and other outdoor activities) vies urgently with the obligation of our workday routines, often resulting in "sick leave days" and spur-of-the-moment "personal days" where the real excuse is "Spring Fever."
Symbols of this holiday include eggs, rabbits, and flowers of all kinds. Modern secular activities such as the dying of Easter Eggs are remnants of ancient Pagan traditions. The Anglo-Saxons painted eggs with their hopes and dreams and presented them as a gift to Eostre. These eggs were then buried in the Earth, so that the Earth-Mother would know dreams of her children, in hopes that She would see fit to help them realize their desires. This practice predates Christianity by approximately 1000 years.
Rabbits (hares) were the companions of Eostre, and she is still often pictured with a hare by Her side. Because of their well-acknowledged reproductive ability, they are the perfect compliments to the start of a fertility-based season.
In many cultures, the Goddess was known not only as the Goddess of Fertility, but also as the Goddess of Grain. Therefore, special cakes and breads were baked and given to Her in offering. This tradition remained, long after the original reasons were lost, and we still see people baking special Easter breads and cakes today.
Other foods traditional to this season include those made of seeds, as well as pine nuts. Also, green leafy vegetables and sprouts are equally appropiate. Some groups create special dishes made of flowers, such as stuffed nasturtiums or carnation cupcakes.
Activities appropriate to celebrate the day include those listed above, as well as randomly collecting wildflowers on a walk through the woods, or buying a mixed bouquet from a florist. The flowers you choose will often reveal your inner thoughts and emotions, and their meanings to you can be divined through books, pendulum, and your intuition.
Some groups set the seeds they'll soon be planting within the sacred Circle of their Ostara rituals. In this way, either a special charging ritual can be done for the seeds, or the seeds can simply absorb the energy of the Circle. They can then be planted safely after the next full moon.
Ritual cleaning is often done, though usually in the secular vein today. It seems people are driven by the need to throw open the windows to our homes and force out all the stale, winter air. Many of us clean the house from top to bottom; sweeping every nook and cranny from ceiling to floor; cleaning out cabinets and drawers, and scrubbing them, too. Often, many choose this time of year to change the liners in drawers, or to put away the winter bedding in favor of the lighter-weight summer linen. Heavy winter clothes are washed, folded, and put away and the lighter weight spring and summer clothes find their way into our closets.
This same mundane ritual of household cleaning can be applied to our inner selves, as well. Use Ostara to clean out all the mental cobwebs and to throw away all the old, negative modes of thought. Throw open the doors to your mind, heart, and soul and let the gentle breezes of Ostara breathe new hope and the vigor of youth into your newly awakening life.

http://paganwiccan.about.com/gi/dyn...bts=1&zu=http://www.tryskelion.com/ostara.htm

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Rabbit is a personal Totem he not only is evident in Ostara but also Shamanic practices.

[SIZE=+1]The Rabbit[/SIZE]
There are two dozen species of Cottontails in the United States, all with similar characteristics. Rabbits are vegetarians eating the inner bark of saplings and shrubs as well as leaves and fruit. They provide a perfect illustration of Nature's balance. Their rapid rate of reproduction is countered by the fact that almost every predatory animal eats them. Cottontail rabbits are quite timid, never venturing too far from the safety of their warrens. Rabbit teaches us through its timidity, to be gentle with ourselves in all situations.
The rabbit is often associated with fear because of the nervous energy it expends. They move suddenly and unpredictably. They hop and leap through life asking those with this totem to pay attention to their personal movement. Growth is assured if one is moving in balance with what is in their life. If they are moving to fast or to slow an imbalance occurs and growth is stifled.
Rabbits are most visible during dawn and dusk. The sun rising and setting from horizon to horizon holds an air of mystique about it. It is a time when the invisible becomes visible and nature spirits are more pronounced. Because the rabbit and the fairy realms are active during the same time of day it has a strong connection with the magic and mystery of other worlds. To enter this world all that is required is a leap of faith.
Sensitive with keen observation skills, the rabbit has strong reflexes that help them dash to safety quickly protecting themselves from danger. They can be seen, disappear and reappear in the twinkling of an eye. Fast, agile and clever they hold the teachings of spontaneous decisive movement. Always knowing which direction to go and when. When rabbit appears it is enabling you to take advantage of opportunities that may only present themselves for brief moments.
Rabbits are guides into the shadow world, where all of our personal fears lie. When the rabbit appears it is time to examine those deep reflexive fears that hold you back from growing. Do you keep dashing for the safety of your old patterns every time something new or challenging presents itself? If so the rabbit asks you to face your fears with compassion for yourself. Accept that it is part of human nature to feel fear at times, but also believe that our fears need not paralyze our growth and movement.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
My favourite sabbat. My b-day is the 24th. Close enough for me. Pickerel are starting to spawn, suckers are running. Even carp are to be had if weather is nice. My motorcycle might come out about then. easter has always been a family get together and big dinner. I do like winter but everyone likes the coming of spring.

Eostre/Ishtar is one of the oldest of goddesses. Harkens back to Sumerian days.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Thats so cool we both ride on the equinox, Im summer Soltice.....23rd of June Spring to me is the light at the end of the tunnel. A sweet beginning of another time of Light. Persephone is reunited with her Mother Demeter and all is well. A time for the Stag and the Priestess. The smell of the honey flowers I adore. Yes it is a good part of the wheel.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
What does "ostara" mean? What would its significance be for the pagan?

Ostara (Eostre) circa March 21, also known as the Spring or Vernal Equinox, is one of two dates where day and night are equal; a point of balance, after which the forces of light gain power and preeminence over the powers of darkness until it reaches its ultimate at Midsummer.

What does "ostara" mean?

The sabbat takes its name from Eostra (Ostara), the Goddess of the Dawn, the Saxon Goddess who heralds the triumphant rebirth of the Sun and the return of the greening season.

What would its significance be for the pagan?

Hellenic traditions celebrate the return of Persephone, Demeter's daughter, from Hades. Some sects see this as the time of courtship between the God and the Goddess, whose relationship will then be consummated at the following sabbat of Beltaine.

As the story goes (the greek version) At Beltame Persephone becomes pregnant and births not only a fruitful bounty but a child of dark and light. Ostara (Spring Equinox is the first of two times during the year where light and dark have equal power. It is the time we prepare to become plentiful and fruitful. We clean or hearts and minds and we also prepare our fields. It is a time of great hope and antisipation.

Im so glad you asked :) I love sharing my thoughts and my faith. What you must remember is that these are stories, Lores that teach us great lessons. I'll post a story of Persophone and a link in the next post.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
PERSEPHONE was the goddess queen of the underworld, wife of the god Haides. She was also the goddess of spring growth, who was worshipped alongside her mother Demeter in the Eleusinian Mysteries. This agricultural-based cult promised its initiates passage to a blessed afterlife.
Persephone was titled Kore (the Maiden) as the goddess of spring's bounty. Once, when she was playing in a flowery meadow with her Nymph companions, Kore was seized by Haides and carried off to the underworld to be his bride. Her mother Demeter despaired at her dissappearance and searched for her the throughout the world accompanied by the goddess Hekate bearing torches. When she learned that Zeus had conspired in her daughter's abduction she was furious, and refused to let the earth fruit until Persephone was returned. Zeus consented, but because the girl had tasted of the food of Haides - a handful of pomegranate seeds - she was forced to forever spend a part of the year with her husband in the underworld. Her annual return to the earth in spring was marked by the flowering of the meadows and the sudden growth of the new grain. Her return to the underworld in winter, conversely, saw the dying down of plants and the halting of growth.
In other myths, Persephone appears exclusively as the queen of the underworld, receiving the likes of Herakles and Orpheus at her court.
Persephone was usually depicted as a young goddess holding sheafs of grain and a flaming torch. Sometimes she was shown in the company of her mother Demeter, and the hero Triptolemos, the teacher of agriculture. At other times she appears enthroned beside Haides.

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Persephone.html

I dont subscribe to the version that Hades kidnapped her. There is another version where she willingly goes and I see Hades in a kinder light than a terrorist.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
This is kinda ostara related, lol. It's more of a favourite chant of mine called Tempus Vernum in latin, Spring Time in english. If you're an Enya fan like myself you've already heard it.

Latin Translation

tempus vernum
Ergo,
oceanus, maritimus,
ergo
opacare, matutinus,
ergo
septentrio, meridies,
ergo
occidens et orientis,
ergo
oceanus, maritimus,
opacare, matutinus,
septentrio, meridies,
occidens et orientis,
ergo
terra, stella,
hiems et aestas,
ergo
autumnus et
tempus vernum,
ergo
radius solis
et umbra,
ignis, aqua
caelum, luna,
terra, stella,
hierns et aestas,
autumnus et
tempus vernum...
tempus vernum...

Translation

spring time
Therefore
ocean, sea,
therefore
dusk, dawn,
therefore
north, south,
therefore
west and east,
therefore
ocean, sea
dusk, dawn,
north, south,
west and east,
therefore
earth, star,
winter and summer,
therefore
autumn and
spring time,
therefore
ray of the sun
and shade,
fire, water
sky, moon,
earth, star,
winter and summer,
autumn and
spring time...

spring time...

Last edited:

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
What does "ostara" mean? What would its significance be for the pagan?

One of the root word/translations of Easter. Ostara, Ishtar, Easter. A Saxon pagan holiday of spring, coopted by the Christian faith with roots in a very ancient goddess Ishtar from Sumeria and Egyptian mythology. Another one of the old pagan holidays changed by the original christian church to win a harts and minds campaign in converting pagans to christianity. Rabbits, and eggs are ancient fertility symbols. Early christian holidays also required complex calculations to get the exact date right. Finally the church gave up and set constant dates. Christ birth was noted first in a Hebrew calendar, then changed to the Roman Julian calendar and finally in the Gregorian calendar we use to day that was implemented by Pope Gregory. Originally I think Jesus was born in September but date was changed to December. I think Roman records of a census indicate the September birth.

Easter is the rebirth of the sun/son.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Easter is the first day of spring. The long cold winter is over. What better reason to celebrate. Calculation of holy days was no less important to pagan folk as crop plantings and such needed fairly accurate dates to avoid frosts and such.

Easter-the new year and the return of the sun
May Day-last possible day for frost or there abouts
Summer solstice-summer was a time of plaques and diseases as pests and disease carrying insects abounded
Sept 1-beginning of harvest
Samhain-time to slaughter cattle and such before winter
Yule-last good chance to have a feast before worst of winter set in
Imbolc-darkest days of winter, food running low, pray the sun returns before you starve

The more mundane reasons to celebrate or pray

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Would pagans gather for the celebration? Is it a big day in the pagan season, like our Easter? Easter, as you know, is the biggest Christian feast. Would this be the same in your faith group?

For me it is! I love Ostara/Easter, it's the beginning of spring.. of life and fertility! I love how, during the Easter season, the flowers are all in bloom and the scent of fertile soil and rain surrounds you like perfume. I usually celebreate Ostara and Beltain the most, since they're in the spring.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
For me it is! I love Ostara/Easter, it's the beginning of spring.. of life and fertility! I love how, during the Easter season, the flowers are all in bloom and the scent of fertile soil and rain surrounds you like perfume. I usually celebreate Ostara and Beltain the most, since they're in the spring.

What would these celebrations entail? Do you have feasts and religious gatherings at these times?

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
What would these celebrations entail? Do you have feasts and religious gatherings at these times?

That depends on the group doing the celebrating. ^.^ My family and I usually have a feast that includes whatever happens to be available at the time. We do a lot of singing and dancing, hold a ritual in which we thank God/Goddess for the earth and soil in which we grow our food. We thank them for the life which has been given to us, and in return promise to cherish and treat this planet and its inhabitants with respect. Some people will plant seeds during Ostara, and harvest the fruits of them in the autumn.

During Beltaine... now this one you probably won't like at all, but I'll describe how I celebrate it anyway, since you asked :) Beltaine is a celebration of the marriage between the God and Goddess, or a celebration of the Sun, Moon, and Earth.. or of life and death, etc. It's a celebration of fertility, and like Ostara we thank the God/Goddess for the life we have been given. Now, privately I celebrate that fertility with a bit of love making, just to enhance the feeling of sacredness on this day. Many group rituals will include a maypole, a symble of fertility, in which we dance around and sing.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
scientific aside:

The equinox is so called because the day and night are the same length. This is a misnomer. the refraction of light through the atmosphere means that the day at which the day and night are equal lengths actually falls a few days later

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Many group rituals will include a maypole, a symble of fertility, in which we dance around and sing.

maypole dancing is very common in england, every village has a may queen and a maypole. Apparently the maypole is a phallic symbol, which would shock many of the ultra-conservative mothers who force their daughters to dance around it in frilly dresses

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
maypole dancing is very common in england, every village has a may queen and a maypole. Apparently the maypole is a phallic symbol, which would shock many of the ultra-conservative mothers who force their daughters to dance around it in frilly dresses

Yep, a great big penis ^.^ And typically the dancing includes tying pretty ribbons around it.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I come at it from a more mundane point of view. It's the first day of spring. I start to think about lawn care and planting some new shrubs around the house, getting my motorcycle out or maybe go fishing. Hopefully weather cooperates and it is springlike. My b-day is the 24 so might combine all together. Plus my Anglican step-mum will have an Easter dinner for the family. As I now cook I might think about having it at my place. Family celebration, christian or pagan celebration, no difference. Time think about new beginnings.

Could be thought of as a pagan new year. I am nearly as "devout" as some pagans. Am thinking Tam has big plans maybe.