Lesson In Peace

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Today an Amish community shows the world by example how to be true (as the indianns say) Human Beings. They pray to thier god not only for thier lost ones and thier family but also for the soul and the family of the one that murdered thier babies. I ask my Goddess to teach me how to show the world an abject lesson in peace such as these people have.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thank you for posting that article.

I believe people are basically, fundamentally "good", although the philosophy of morality requries relativism and justification in some instances. Their actions won't prevent another terrible incident and their actions will never bring their dead loved-ones back to life, but he essence of "good" in not embracing hatred and seeking vengence are two of the "good" expressions of their belief system.

Not all people are haters and murderers or terrorists, just some, and it is our responsibility as "good" people to address these issues and work to establish peace among all people instead of rallying to war and dismissing our own culpability.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Although I could never live the life the Amish do, there is much to admire in the way they do.The act of forgiveness in inviting the killer's family into their community is far beyond anything most of us would ever do. That's it! No more Amish jokes from me.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Although I could never live the life the Amish do, there is much to admire in the way they do.The act of forgiveness in inviting the killer's family into their community is far beyond anything most of us would ever do. That's it! No more Amish jokes from me.

I concuer, they have more compassion then I. I do not beleive I have it in me to be so un-human like.

A question, what base religion do the Amish fallow?

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
I believe the Amish religion is part of Christianity.

They are Christians. More to the point they are examples of human citizenship. We all should take notice too and try to emulate.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
A question was asked "What religion to the Amish follow?"

I think they are one of the few religious groups in our world (excepting leaders of religions), who actually live daily their religious beliefs rather than following them.

It must be a temptation to some to break and join the outside world of glitter and wealth, but the Amish have solved that problem as well. When a young Amish boy or girl reaches maturation, they give that boy or girl time in the outside world, to see it as it is lived by others, so they may weigh their decision to stay within the Amish community or leave it. Some leave. Most stay.

I wonder if they have more strength because of their religion, or their religion gives them more strengh...

They are to be admired and I am truly sad this horror has visited them....they of all people do not deserve to be violated by our world.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Ill add So Mote It Be!!! I know that I live my life in forgiveness. But I didnt always. In the recent past Ive held hurtful thoughts against people who have hurt me. My step father, people who have physically harmed me and those who have played mind games with me looking to purposefully harm me. But the path Im on I try (operative word) to let the pain go and walk on in the light of day. What a lesson for us all especially our governments to learn. Not "lets get even" But "Lets forgive and move on" I know I know I live in a fantacy world but its my intention every night I light a candle that the whole world learn Love and not give into fear.