Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
9 NOBLE VIRTUES
OF ASATRU

http://www.geocities.com/mjolniers_lightning/virtues.htm

COURAGE
By facing Life's struggles with courage, we constantly extend our capabilities. Without courage, nothing else can be done!

TRUTH
Blind faith has no place in Asatru. No pie-in-the-sky; we must act in this world as we see it and as it really is rather than calmly wait for the next

HONOR
We must be true to what we are, and we insist on acting with nobility rather than baseness. Our standards must be banners held high in our hearts.

FIDELITY
We stand true to our faith and our values. Loyalty is the basis for all enduring human activity, and we hold it in the highest esteem.

HOSPITALITY
The isolation and loneliness of modern life is not necessary. The willingness to share what one has with ones' fellows, especially travelers, is a vital part of our way of life.

DISCIPLINE
We hold to the discipline necessary to fulfill our purpose. We stand willing to exercise the self-control and steadfastness necessary in these difficult times.

INDUSTRIOUSNESS
Let us dare to be all that we can be! Let us take risks and taste the richness of life. Passivity is for sheep. We refuse to be mere spectators in life.

SELF-RELIANCE
We depend on our own strength and character to achieve our goals. We seek only the freedom necessary to our quest, whatever it may be.

PERSEVERANCE
We hold to our path until its completion and are not ashamed to be strong. The cult of the anti-hero will find no support in us, and the gods we follow are not for the weak.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I think you will find most religions and movements have great morals. But when in practice, they are not followed.

By the time the Vikings came to Ireland, I think my people mostly were tired of fighting. The celts once dominated most of Europe and were then pushed to the remote area's of two islands. How the might fall. The celts were also one of the most feared fighters but by that time had become nothing, not even a shadow of there past glory. Conqoured by the Romans, pushed back by all the ancient barbarians, losing the world basically.

:(

Even today we do not own our last island completely!

I have hope one day Ireland will only be Ireland... :(

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I read many papers mostly writen around 1999-2001 supporting the economic development of the Republic and the seculerization of the Republic which many believe will help the process. However an ongoing problem in the North are how the Catholics are treated which has slowed the processes of seculerization in the North.

I think sooner or later democratically the North will unite with the Republic. If Northern Ireland ever became independent, most Irish and celts would be happy with that alone.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Finder said:
I read many papers mostly writen around 1999-2001 supporting the economic development of the Republic and the seculerization of the Republic which many believe will help the process. However an ongoing problem in the North are how the Catholics are treated which has slowed the processes of seculerization in the North.

I think sooner or later democratically the North will unite with the Republic. If Northern Ireland ever became independent, most Irish and celts would be happy with that alone.

I agree it will become independent at some point in time because of Demographics and other aspects. Just depends if they join the Southern Republic or become an Independent nation themself.

Azurecloaked

May 24, 2009
ok

so where are the virtues they were famous for, rapping, pillaging and plundering?

:twisted:

The 9 noble virtues apply to Asatru and for the record the Virtues are more of a modern invention. Second the term viking is not accurate. Vi king was not a group of people, it was what they did, to go a vi king was to go raiding. Northmen is more accurate.

Finder, your also reading the reports from people they attacked, alot of these accounts were sensationalize. But dont think for a moment that The Northmen were simple brutes, If you do even a small amount of research you will see that the Virtues while not codified are found through out their society. You can not judge a faith, race or nation based on one thing alone. To do otherwise would be hypocriticle. Remember they founded Dublin as well.

Northmen were feared for the skill in arms, but respected as shrewd traders and well liked diplomats. Hold the same light your holding to them to modern contries or any other group and will see that the Northmen were not monsters or what most people seem to think they were.