Why can't religions get along??

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
So for all the faiths out in the world and on Canadian content as well, there are so many. Why can't they all just say, okay I respect your choice in religion, and you can have as many gods or no gods at all and your still okay as a person.

Because I have many gods in my religion, however, I don't think they are real. They are goals tat you can set for yourself, to stride for eternal knowledge and etc, etc.

So what do you guys say.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Jersay said:
Why can't they all just say, okay I respect your choice in religion, and you can have as many gods or no gods at all and your still okay as a person.

Because it is so important for each religion to be 'right.' You can't be 'right' unless someone else is 'wrong.' When everything comes down to faith, because there is no logical reason to believe in deities, you have to believe that your faith is correct.

And I'm an atheist, I state all gods don't exist and all religion is a superstition created by people. I don't care what god(s) someone believes in as long as they don't bother me with it - which is hard for many unfortunately.

It is the believing theists who have to go around telling other theists how wrong they are to make themselves feel better. Atheists haven't started religious wars or killed others in the name of their god(s). That takes religion.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Atheists haven't started religious wars or killed others in the name of their god(s).

They kill people for other reasons. Religion represents a big threat to the "state".

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Jay said:
Atheists haven't started religious wars or killed others in the name of their god(s).

They kill people for other reasons.

What?!?! WTF are you talking about? Atheists kill for greed, lust, anger, and all the other human conditions and emotions. As do theists. Atheists just don't have the 'added incentive' of killing someone who doesn't believe in the right god and getting those all important heaven brownie points.

Jay said:
Religion represents a big threat to the "state".

It sure does. Interfering with abortion rights, access to birth control, science education and now I read about good christians fighting a vaccine that would prevent cervical cancer. It might promote promiscuity you know.. So yes, religion represents a threat to the modern state and people who think humans should progress past the stone age.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Lets not get to excited here....

The two sentences I placed there weren't really meant to be separated. I should have used a " ; ".

Perhaps you don't kill in the name of "gods" you kill because of other people's faith in gods, that is why I used the "state" example.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Because I'm an infidel and certain other religions believe I should be enslaved or murdered because I'm a non-believer in their religion.

This is an age-old question.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Why can't religions g

ROFLMAO ... Andem, I was going to say that people can't get along because they don't believe the truth according to Cosmo. ;)

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well that is what all Abrahamic Religions say, so if you are not one of the Abrahamic religion or don't believe in god then your an infidel.

But the point is, I don't think aethiesism is a religion, however they mostly have the same kind of structure they don't believe in gods.

However, why can't people accept that there may not be gods, or a god, or no god and try to at least for religious types look at whoever they worship as something to strive for.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: Why can't religions get along??

Jay said:
Perhaps you don't kill in the name of "gods" you kill because of other people's faith in gods, that is why I used the "state" example.

Atheists kill because of other peoples belief in their myths and superstitions? What, we kill non-believers? Oh, I get it, the tired old Stalin mis-direction.

Well, since things have this silly a level I'll leave all you good theists to tell each other how you all respect each others beliefs and faiths while mumbling under your breath how the other guy is going to hell.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
Jersay said:
Well that is what all Abrahamic Religions say, so if you are not one of the Abrahamic religion or don't believe in god then your an infidel.

But the point is, I don't think aethiesism is a religion, however they mostly have the same kind of structure they don't believe in gods.

However, why can't people accept that there may not be gods, or a god, or no god and try to at least for religious types look at whoever they worship as something to strive for.

Agnosticism may not be a religion, but atheism takes belief.

You should look up the word infidel, as I don't think you know what it means, or you wouldn't make such a silly statement.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
I won't even make you look it up

Infidel: "an unbeliever with respect to a praticular religion, or someone who says they have no religious belief."

fidelity: "The state of being faithful"

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Jay said:
Oh, I get it, the tired old Stalin mis-direction.

We aren't just going to forget about it.

Yes, because Stalins reign was all about atheism and not about economic systems and politics and getting and retaining power for the sake of it.

Stalin was a lousy human who did terrible things. But I don't think it was because of his lack of belief in a deity.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Atheists may not start wars but some of them certainly have a penchant for being annoying tax dollar wasting lil pansies...case in point ....

Judge Rejects Atheist’s Lawsuit
June 12, 2006, 9:08 PM EDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP)—A federal judge on Monday rejected a lawsuit from an atheist who said having the phrase “In God We Trust” on U.S. coins and dollar bills violated his First Amendment rights. U.S. District Judge Frank C. Damrell Jr. said the minted words amounted to a secular national slogan that did not trample on Michael Newdow’s avowed religious views.

Newdow, a Sacramento doctor and lawyer, also is engaged in an ongoing effort to have the Pledge of Allegiance banned from public schools because it contains the words “under God.” Two years ago, the pledge fight reached the U.S. Supreme Court, which said Newdow lacked standing to bring the case because he didn’t have custody of the daughter on whose behalf he brought the case.

But a Sacramento federal judge sided with Newdow in September after he filed an identical lawsuit on behalf of parents with children in three Sacramento-area school districts. The case is pending before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Newdow’s “In God We Trust” lawsuit targeted Congress and several federal officials, claiming that by making money with the phrase on it the government was establishing a religion in violation of the First Amendment clause requiring separation of church and state.

The phrase “excludes people who don’t believe in God,” he claimed. Damrell disagreed, citing a 9th Circuit decision from 1970 that concluded the four words were a national motto that had “nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion.” Newdow said Monday he would appeal.

Congress first authorized a reference to God on a two-cent piece in 1864. In 1955, the year after lawmakers had the words “under God” put into the Pledge of Allegiance, Congress passed a law requiring all U.S. currency to carry the motto “In God We Trust.” Newdow filed the lawsuit five days after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected, without comment, a challenge to an inscription of “In God We Trust” on a North Carolina county government building.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
thecdn said:
Jay said:

Yes, because Stalins reign was all about atheism and not about economic systems and politics and getting and retaining power for the sake of it.

Stalin was a lousy human who did terrible things. But I don't think it was because of his lack of belief in a deity.

What about Hitler he hated the beliefs of the Jews, that was certainly the atheist coming out in him.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Just as a histoical fact. ... Stalin who actually at one point was going to become a monk in the church, actually brought back the church during the war as a means to control his solidures better.

Atheism if you ask me is a belief like all the others anyways.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Graeme said:
What about Hitler he hated the beliefs of the Jews, that was certainly the atheist coming out in him.

"Hitler seeking power, wrote in Mein Kampf. "... I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews. I am doing the Lord's work." Years later, when in power, he quoted those same words in a Reichstag speech in 1938."

"Those who would make Hitler an atheist should turn their eyes to history books before they address their pews and microphones. Acclaimed Hitler biographer, John Toland, explains his heartlessness as follows: "Still a member in good standing of the Church of Rome despite detestation of its hierarchy, he carried within him its teaching that the Jew was the killer of god. The extermination, therefore, could be done without a twinge of conscience since he was merely acting as the avenging hand of god...""

"Hitler's Germany amalgamated state with church. Soldiers of the vermacht wore belt buckles inscribed with the following: "Gott mit uns" (God is with us). His troops were often sprinkled with holy water by the priests. It was a real Christian country whose citizens were indoctrinated by both state and church to blindly follow all authority figures, political and ecclesiastical."

Yeah, that Hitler fellow was quite the atheist.... :roll:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Graeme said:
thecdn said:
Jay said:

Hitler and his Nazi goons Athiests. That is to laugh, no were they Pagan. They had their own views on what Christianity should be.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Graeme said:
Jersay said:

Agnosticism may not be a religion, but atheism takes belief.

You should look up the word infidel, as I don't think you know what it means, or you wouldn't make such a silly statement.

Yeah keep beliving in your fairy tale world of Christianity. Infidel wasn't created by Muslims to call other religions one name. Infidel has its way long back in the history books to discribe one people or another.