The Canadian content challenge for youth.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Can you, before next spring at the latest (you have almost a year there), organize to teach children between the ages of five to fifteen, at least two hours a week?

Teach what? Anything!

Here might be some ideas:

ESL, Moral education, Scouts, Girl guides, another language you know, swimming, environment, cooking, gardening, anything really.

And if you succeed, please share it with us here. Hopefully this thread will remain that long.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Might as well start with me.

I teach two hours a week for free in a local primary school, 9-12year olds, Esperanto, two hours a week. We've established pen friends, exchange postpards and used stamps, and now working on a theatre presentation. The textbooks aren't so good, so I'm creating a new one which will blend moral and Esperanto education together in one textbook. Hopefully it will be finished by next September? I doubt it, but certainly by next March at the very very latest.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing right now.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
EXCELENT challange!!!! My nephew is diabetic and every day I call to check on him (his blood and homework) I also help his cousin who is Bi-Polar and has a rough time getting past peoples ignorant ideas of Bi-Polarism. I know thats not near the extent you do but after this summers traveling I want to start 2 groups here in Richmond. One with Bi-Polar Family group support and the other a Pagan group. I know how lonely I feel and felt being a person of a minority group. I can just imagine how others feel especially teens. As a teen I was beatin and tortured by people who just didnt get mental illness I still come across "educated" people that would rather tear me apart than understand me. And kids NEEDS to know that not everyone is like that.

Sorry *getting off my soapbox*

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: The Canadian content

LittleRunningGag said:
Can I ask why you chose to put this in the "faith" section of the forum?
Bad habbit of comming to the Faith forums lately, lazy me. could the mods change it to a more approapriate section, please. Thanks. Sorry.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Whatever forum it belongs in its a great idea. If we all take our strenths, our experiences, our passions and compassions and pass them on to even one child then OMF what a greater world we would live in!!! Actually being PROactive instead of judgemental and hateful! Taking even one hour a week to help teach a child like I was to read (I still have trouble). Can you imagine the impact on a dyslexic child for some one on one with an educated person?!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Oh, and for those lacking experience, nothing says you have to do it alone. you could co-teach with someone with more experience. Or instead of teaching anything, if you lack confidence, try starting to learn something starting next Spring at the latest, whcih could then be taught children a few years later. Investment for the future. Plenty of possibilities.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: The Canadian content

I'm teaching young people in my community practicle building and repair skills and basic tools, I also teach them to hate the establishment and work to wreck the system as well as healthy direspect for authority. The greatest challenge for youth today will be to suvive the stupidity of thier parents.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: The Canadian content

darkbeaver said:
I'm teaching young people in my community practicle building and repair skills and basic tools, I also teach them to hate the establishment and work to wreck the system as well as healthy direspect for authority. The greatest challenge for youth today will be to suvive the stupidity of thier parents.

Hmmm.... :?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"I'm teaching young people in my community practicle building and repair skills and basic tools"

This part is wonderful, keep up the good work, Darkbeaver.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: The Canadian content challenge for youth.

Jay said:
He's a commi...what did you expect?

hey, even communists could make a wonderful contribution to children's education if they could just tone down the ideology a little. Then again, same holds true for the right.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I also teach them to hate the establishment and work to wreck the system as well as healthy direspect for authority.

The very thought of his wackoness comming within hearing distance of youth gives me the creeps.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Jay said:
I also teach them to hate the establishment and work to wreck the system as well as healthy direspect for authority.

The very thought of his wackoness comming within hearing distance of youth gives me the creeps.

But Jay, you have the opportunity to counter this wackoness by giving some of your time too. You have till next March. I'll call you on it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I already give time and money. I just had a little girl and I support the church (which has a wonderful youth group) with funds and my wife is a teacher.

I could always to do more though....