Crusader

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I don't mean to centre out in a negative way, but being such a devout Christian, I was wondering if you would mind sharing an example of when you felt God's presence in your life.

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006
Said1 said:
I don't mean to centre out in a negative way, but being such a devout Christian, I was wondering if you would mind sharing an example of when you felt God's presence in your life.

I always feel His love. As he'd said:

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
-Matthew 5:14-16

Reading these words also touches my heart.

I also have a strong belief in rules, as those regulate the world. But man-made rules seem to diverge so much from nation to nation, city to city, family to family, and person to person. So what is right? What is wrong? Is there not a universal value?

I will admit though that i'd started reading the Qur'an recently, and it's freaky 'cause I actually feel a certain attraction towards it. I'd been reading some of macho's posts recently too, and am finding myself attracted to that religion too.

I'll be very honest; I'm comfused right now.

Any thoughts?

Don't get me wrong though; I'm still a devout Christian. I just need to pray more right now. So which religion is right?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Crusader, I would suggest that many (if not most) religions on this world of ours share many of the same core principles and characteristics. If one would read into some of the various texts of these varying religions, I think that one would find that each one has a way of expressing the same loving principles, in their own unique way. It can be refreshing, even for one's own faith, to read into others.

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006
Re: RE: Crusader

FiveParadox said:
Crusader, I would suggest that many (if not most) religions on this world of ours share many of the same core principles and characteristics. If one would read into some of the various texts of these varying religions, I think that one would find that each one has a way of expressing the same loving principles, in their own unique way. It can be refreshing, even for one's own faith, to read into others.

So what do you believe?

Again, about a previous exchange between the two of us. I have nothing personally against gays. It all boils down to the Laws of God, wahtever those laws are. I've just started getting confused right now as to what they are in fact.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
For further certainty, Crusader, take comfort in the opinion of a member of this place, that I don't think that interest, or intrigue in another religion, is necessarily any sign of confusion or weakening in one's own. Keep in mind, Crusader, that Muslims believe that the word of God is contained within both the Holy Bible, and the Qur'an. Take comfort in knowing that interest in provisions of the Qur'an is in no way indicative of any sort of derogation of your Christian faith.

There's my four or five cents, now. :)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
:!: Warning — This post may contain objectionable content.

Crusader, forgive me, but my faith in Christianity was shaken very badly in one of my earlier teenage years. The pastor at my Church brought me into his office (after discovering from someone that I was gay), and informed me that "fags" were not welcome at his Church, nor would I be welcome at the gates of Heaven, nor should I seek membership in any other Church. My faith was, so to speak, shattered.

It has never recovered to the point where I could, in good conscience, refer to myself as a "Christian". In terms of my beliefs: Yes, I do think that God exists; I think that God expressed his word through the Holy Bible, the Torah and the Qur'an, and I think that persons of either three faiths of the Book (being Christian, Muslim or Jewish) can gain a better insight into their own faith through understanding the other two.

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006

FiveParadox said:
For further certainty, Crusader, take comfort in the opinion of a member of this place, that I don't think that interest, or intrigue in another religion, is necessarily any sign of confusion or weakening in one's own. Keep in mind, Crusader, that Muslims believe that the word of God is contained within both the Holy Bible, and the Qur'an. Take comfort in knowing that interest in provisions of the Qur'an is in no way indicative of any sort of derogation of your Christian faith.

There's my four or five cents, now. :)

That's what's really throwing me off my Rocker. I never realised how much the Koran agrees with the Gospel. I hate to say this. The wife would freak! :(

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006

FiveParadox said:
:!: Warning — This post may contain objectionable content.

Crusader, forgive me, but my faith in Christianity was shaken very badly in one of my earlier teenage years. The pastor at my Church brought me into his office (after discovering from someone that I was gay), and informed me that "fags" were not welcome at his Church, nor would I be welcome at the gates of Heaven, nor should I seek membership in any other Church. My faith was, so to speak, shattered.

It has never recovered to the point where I could, in good conscience, refer to myself as a "Christian". In terms of my beliefs: Yes, I do think that God exists; I think that God expressed his word through the Holy Bible, the Torah and the Qur'an, and I think that persons of either three faiths of the Book (being Christian, Muslim or Jewish) can gain a better insight into their own faith through understanding the other two.

He had no business doing that. I agree that homosexual behaviour is prohibited in the scriptures, but kindness isalso enjoined. H had no right to do that. Totally unbiblical behaviour.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Perhaps, Crusader, the "gospel" is the word of God wherever it may be found? Perhaps the "gospel" isn't limited only to the Holy Bible? I would suggest that the same God — the "one God" — plays a hand in Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, and Islam, in particular (no others come to mind at the moment, but then again I am sort of tired, lol). I think that the same core principles are there for each of them, and I think that perhaps a core faith diverged and adapted as circumstances and territories required.

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006
Actually, I was already starting to explore Islam just before I registered this login name. I think I was angry at the fact that my reading of the koran was/and is pulling me further towards it. If I should adopt Islam as my new faith, it could shake the family tremendously. We are both from very strict Christian families and community.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Crusader, I would suggest to you (with respect to your beliefs, of course) that, in terms of the interpretation of the provisions of the Holy Bible that relate to homosexuality, that modern interpretation must sometimes be applied (whether in terms of the text of the Bible, the Qur'an, or the Torah). I don't think that God would have wanted the Earth to be static, and never to evolve or adapt according to its own needs. God granted unto us free will, and I would suggest that it is our right to exercise that will, where appropriate. Homosexuality is more accepted now than it once was, and I would suggest that God would not punish those who would choose to love each other (albeit in a different manner), given that, in modern times, God would observe (I would suggest) that homosexual relationships can be quite loving and healthy.

Crusader

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2006
So Five, as for religions with "more appropriate laws for the modern era", which revealed religion would you go for among the ones of which you know?

Even the Koran has laws which would seem outdated, yet they're starting to seem less outdated than the Gospel. Granted, Islam is a newer religion too. Do you know of any other revealed religion?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would suggest that Sikhism is an interesting religion to look into, as well (it was based largely on Islam, but it was modernized and became Sikhism, as per the teachings of the Gurus). It's an interesting faith; it has a lot to do with good deeds, honour and (as a common factor with the others) observing the word of God.

Tom Green Fan

Electoral Member
Feb 28, 2006
Brisbane
tomgreen.forumer.com

FiveParadox said:
Crusader, I would suggest to you (with respect to your beliefs, of course) that, in terms of the interpretation of the provisions of the Holy Bible that relate to homosexuality, that modern interpretation must sometimes be applied (whether in terms of the text of the Bible, the Qur'an, or the Torah). I don't think that God would have wanted the Earth to be static, and never to evolve or adapt according to its own needs. God granted unto us free will, and I would suggest that it is our right to exercise that will, where appropriate. Homosexuality is more accepted now than it once was, and I would suggest that God would not punish those who would choose to love each other (albeit in a different manner), given that, in modern times, God would observe (I would suggest) that homosexual relationships can be quite loving and healthy.

God loves gay people. God hates the sin, not the sinner.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
The Koran is very similar to Christian ideology because it too is based on the Bible. Muslims share the same history as Christians, and even respect Jesus. They do not however regard Jesus as the son of God, but as a prophet. There messiah is Mohammed rather than Jesus.

All religions share the same ideology of trying to explain this amazing creation of intricacy, and to help us understand our minute roles in this world. Even polytheistic religions such as Hinduism have the same overall ideology.

The ways of celebrating this ideology and awe are manmade. Churches, religious ceremonies, titles such as priest or rabbi are manmade. And that is where we should understand that in these manmade interpretations of worshipping of God come differences and divisions between people.

And Good Morning Said1! For me, I have felt most in awe of the world and our Creator when I stand on a hillside and look out over the world and when I get sudden immense flashes of overwhelming love looking at my loved ones.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I truly believe that Judaism, Christianity and Islam are the same religion, just a few differences that make them to some people a 'distinct' religion.

Moses, Jesus, and Muhammed are the prophets that listened to God.

But since the background of what occured hundreds of years ago, I like the Muslims more from that era.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I just love all the discussion flowing here!!

Exploring our faith is an ongoing process throughout our lifetimes. I have traveled through a few different beliefs and am finding that regardless of what religion I am exposed to, I can find something of worth - and what I try to look for is the thread of commonality - anything that reminds us that we are all connected - sharing a journey that has many paths leading to the same destination.

I really don't think God cares what we call her. (lolll I like to shake up the gender of God occassionaly to remind myself that God is neither male nor female - but rather all of Us, all of It)

I also don't think that God cares which religion we anchor ourselves to, or whether we 'fly solo' in our quest to know faith.

One of the aspects of many religions that I have struggled with is the concept they have introduced that God is somehow separate - apart from us. The notion that we have to work our way into worthiness to become one with God has enabled so many religions to mold the 'expectations' of God into weapons of control. The image of an all powerful being who would rain some sort of horror (hell) upon us for not adhering to a prescribed set of rules completely defies the concept of God entirely, imo. God could no more separate from us than stop being God. I see it as the amputation of the most fundamental aspect of our humanity. Furthering the injury to our understanding, this Being has been depicted as a rather vengeful sort whose rules we must adhere to unquestioningly in order to guarantee our spiritual well being after death. This has been one of the most contentious, and imo, evil things ever done to mankind.

There are no rules that are malleable enough to accomdoate the condition of being human. Anything that declares a black or white, right or wrong way of being human is unGodly, imo... and it negates the need to explore more deeply the root causes of aberant or harmful behaviour that we humans are prone to engage in when we are diverted from healthy and loving conduct.

IMO, God could no more be separate from us than stop being God. What I love about viewing it this way is it allows me to remember that not only am I of the same substance, intention and will that we call God, but so are you, and you, and him, and her and them over there.... so my joys, your sorrows, their problems become Our joys, sorrows, problems...

In most religions, I believe the underlying Golden Rule of "do Unto others..." is the primary guideline for sharing our time here - and it could be the only sentence on the only page of any religious text, as far as I'm concerned - for it best honours the fact that we ARE all part of this divine creation - and what we do to another, we in fact do to ourselves.

There are religions that espouse this type of thinking, and these are the ones that most appeal to me, but I find that as soon as a label my beliefs, I feel boxed in - I claim the right to an evolving and ever growing understanding of my relationship with God.

One of my favorite quotes is: We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we are spiritual beings having a human experience.