Mormons Sharpen Stand Against Same-Sex Marriage

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Children of same-sex couples will not be able to join the Mormon Church until they turn 18 — and only if they move out of their parents’ homes, disavow all same-sex relationships and receive approval from the church’s top leadership as part of a new policy adopted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In addition, Mormons in same-sex marriages will be considered apostates and ordered to undergo church disciplinary hearings that could lead to excommunication, a more rigid approach than the church has taken in the past.

The new policies are an effort by the church, which has long opposed same-sex marriage, to reinforce and even harden its doctrinal boundaries for its members at a time when small but increasing numbers of Mormons are coming out as gay or supportive of same-sex marriage.

At the same time, the church has recently been taking a tolerant public stance supportive of laws that ban discrimination against gay people in employment and housing. Since the Supreme Court established a right to same-sex marriage nationwide in June, Mormon leaders have parted company with the leaders of evangelical and other conservative churches by affirming that despite their religious convictions, even people of faith opposed to gay marriage must follow the law.

“The church is walking a fine line between on the one hand recognizing the reality of changing mores in American society externally, but internally holding the line on its own doctrinal rigor — its own beliefs and teachings,” said David Campbell, a professor of political science at the University of Notre Dame and a co-author of “Seeking the Promised Land: Mormons and American Politics.”

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/us/mormons-gay-marriage.html

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hallelujah! We can cure you of this evil! We can exorcise that demon right out of you!
Feckin quackery. sheeeesh lol

Winston Blackmore and Co. are Mormons. I wonder how the Church of Latter Day Saints can square that circle. "Join Bountiful, guys! You too can have multiple wives under 15!"

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I cab't understand church sanctions against the children of gay parents and and celibate gays. I can understand sanctions against those who themselves actively violate the laws of the church whether they are gay or not, such as when they actively and willingly participate in a homosexual act.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Hallelujah! We can cure you of this evil! We can exorcise that demon right out of you!
Feckin quackery. sheeeesh lol

Winston Blackmore and Co. are Mormons. I wonder how the Church of Latter Day Saints can square that circle. "Join Bountiful, guys! You too can have multiple wives under 15!"

They are not part of the LDS church. They are an offshoot with their own set of rules regarding families, just like you. I have no religion but i defend those that do if it does not affect me.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Polygamy played a large role in most major religions.

I don't know how any religion can place itself in a position as a representative of morality.

Last edited: