What do you pray for?

Goober
What do you pray for?

This thread is for those that have religious beliefs - From Christianity - to First Nations - Muslims -and the whole enchilada of differing Religions we have on this planet - to those that believe in no specific religion but believe in a Creator.
So this is not a discussion on what the Bible, Koran or other religious texts have in their books.

This thread is not for arguing about what is right, wrong or indifferent.

This thread is about what do people Pray for. I along with others may be interested in how we interact with our specif belief.

Myself - I mostly pray for others that are having health or other problems, though on a rare occasion I pray for help in life, but not for many years have I asked for assistance.

My belief is that God knows what help I need, and will look into it shall we say.

MHz
I used to pray for others, some requests were 'reasonable' and others were not. One girl said she had a dream about 'paths' after I asked Jesus to 'look into' her crack use, it wasn't enough to get her to stop. Throwing herself out of a van at highway speed was enough to get her to stop, for a few years. The elderly that are sick I pray that God takes them sooner rather than later as curing one ailment only means another ailment is going to come along. That's why God doesn't answer prayers for those illnesses, when He fixes something He wants it to remain fixed, that is why 'we have to wait'.

petros
+2
I pray for sports teams and to win the lotto.

DaSleeper
+2
If you mean do I kneel down and recite the public prayers memorized in my youth, asking for something???
Haven't done that in a long long time...and public displays of faith is not my thing.

But if you mean, do I sometimes reflect how lucky I am for my familly's health and my own and give thanks....
I do that all the time.......

damngrumpy
+2
I see no need for prayer if God is there he knows what I need. Not what I want what I need.
I think badgering God with prayers is a total waste of time his mind is made up and we are
just whining and asking for this or that.
Prayers in churches are little more than cheap entertainment before they pass the collection
plate these days as well. Nope I used to pray when I was a kid and my parents went to the
church and took part. My only resolve was to get to hell out on my own so I wouldn't have to
bother, and there is no sense going back to that now.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I see no need for prayer if God is there he knows what I need. Not what I want what I need.
I think badgering God with prayers is a total waste of time his mind is made up and we are
just whining and asking for this or that.
Prayers in churches are little more than cheap entertainment before they pass the collection
plate these days as well. Nope I used to pray when I was a kid and my parents went to the
church and took part. My only resolve was to get to hell out on my own so I wouldn't have to
bother, and there is no sense going back to that now.

I do not believe that when things are tough, really tough, when you have that need to pray, that is not badgering God or the Creator God and the creator/ god knows that.

We all have times in our lives where circumstances can be at times be overwhelming.

I believe in realizing that no matter how rough I have it, and there were times i asked for help, very few, I am always thankful to God,yes during those rough times,for what I and my family have been given.

And I have gone thru some really rough times. Rougher than many.Less than others.
I also am like the proverbial Jew that I believe in talking and arguing with God.

Do you?

taxslave
Never believed in god from an early age but I do reflect on how lucky I have been. Been some fairly $hit times too but never tried praying. That includes the time I backed over a case of dynamite when I couldn't hold the brake on any longer.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Never believed in god from an early age but I do reflect on how lucky I have been.

That's more or less the same thing isn't it?

Quote:

Been some fairly $hit times too but never tried praying. That includes the time I backed over a case of dynamite when I couldn't hold the brake on any longer.

Yeah, if you don't start praying in that situation, you probably never will,lol.

Cannuck
I believe we create our own reality so I see praying as counterproductive. It only reinforces that we want something rather than having it.

talloola
+1
I would never pray for anything. The closest 'I guess', is that I would wish for something, but praying
only seems like a silly game to me, or just people tricking themselves into believing there is something
out there actually able to grant a prayer, or not.

I see praying as a waste of time, unless it makes one feel better, then it is a beneficial medication
of sorts, so go ahead.

What many would pray about, I would approach in a different manner, which would make me feel I might be
helpful in the outcome of 'the' situation at hand.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I believe we create our own reality so I see praying as counterproductive. It only reinforces that we want something rather than having it.

Please read the OP

This thread is about what do people Pray for. I along with others may be interested in how we interact with our specif belief.

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I would never pray for anything. The closest 'I guess', is that I would wish for something, but praying
only seems like a silly game to me, or just people tricking themselves into believing there is something
out there actually able to grant a prayer, or not.

I see praying as a waste of time, unless it makes one feel better, then it is a beneficial medication
of sorts, so go ahead.

What many would pray about, I would approach in a different manner, which would make me feel I might be
helpful in the outcome of 'the' situation at hand.

Please read the OP

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

What do you pray for?

This thread is for those that have religious beliefs - From Christianity - to First Nations - Muslims -and the whole enchilada of differing Religions we have on this planet - to those that believe in no specific religion but believe in a Creator.
So this is not a discussion on what the Bible, Koran or other religious texts have in their books.

Myself - I mostly pray for others that are having health or other problems, though on a rare occasion I pray for help in life, but not for many years have I asked for assistance.

My belief is that God knows what help I need, and will look into it shall we say.

I'm not sure how effective praying is..................if you really want something to change, better to get after it yourself. The older I get the less need I feel for trying to effect change, unless it's maybe donating $10 to the Children's Hospital................sometimes what you try to change backfires. I believe in a supreme power, but what use is my voice among 8 billion others and besides He knows what should be changed. A lot of the stuff that needs changing in this world anyway are the result of man's selfishness and greed. Prayers are generally selfish desires anyway. If the world is screwed up the human animal has done virtually all of it. One thing I suppose I could pray for is not to have any Bible Thumpers pounding on my door.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'm not sure how effective praying is

FreethoughtPedia.com (external - login to view)

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

That's more or less the same thing isn't it?

Yeah, if you don't start praying in that situation, you probably never will,lol.

Not sure if it s the same thing or not. I never thanked any one(thing)? for it. Could be just good Karma.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

FreethoughtPedia.com (external - login to view)

For some strange reason, I'm not surprised.

talloola
+1

Please read the OP

Please read the OP

just because you are the OP doesn't give you the power of a policeman, and I wasn't argueing, just
stating my opinion, as you probably should have given room to those who 'don't pray' as well.
I will answer any thread I decide to, irrespective of your orders or not, jeesh.
get a grip

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'm not sure how effective praying is..................if you really want something to change, better to get after it yourself. The older I get the less need I feel for trying to effect change, unless it's maybe donating $10 to the Children's Hospital................sometimes what you try to change backfires. I believe in a supreme power, but what use is my voice among 8 billion others and besides He knows what should be changed. A lot of the stuff that needs changing in this world anyway are the result of man's selfishness and greed. Prayers are generally selfish desires anyway. If the world is screwed up the human animal has done virtually all of it. One thing I suppose I could pray for is not to have any Bible Thumpers pounding on my door.

ah ah ahhhh, jlm, you are not following orders, but you make good sense nonetheless.

gerryh
+1 / -1

just because you are the OP doesn't give you the power of a policeman, and I wasn't argueing, just
stating my opinion, as you probably should have given room to those who 'don't pray' as well.
I will answer any thread I decide to, irrespective of your orders or not, jeesh.
get a grip

ah ah ahhhh, jlm, you are not following orders, but you make good sense nonetheless.

Typically arrogant athiests. No respect for others beliefs or requests.

Goober
+1

get a grip

No I did not give room for those that do not pray. Why should I have an OP that goes off the rails. There are plenty of Threads dealing with religion so pick one, pick all the others. This dealt only with those that pray. As you do not, why reply?
Perhaps you can answer that and stating you can reply to any thread is in my opinion not a valid answer.
I asked for certain people opinions. Yours I knew of and it was not requested, nor was it welcomed.
And I do not give orders. I noted the OP. Clearly your problem with religion has meant that you assume your opinion on religion is welcomed on all threads.
I am stating it was not requested, now was it welcomed.
Again Read the OP.

talloola
+2

No I did not give room for those that do not pray. Why should I have an OP that goes off the rails. There are plenty of Threads dealing with religion so pick one, pick all the others. This dealt only with those that pray. As you do not, why reply?
Perhaps you can answer that and stating you can reply to any thread is in my opinion not a valid answer.
I asked for certain people opinions. Yours I knew of and it was not requested, nor was it welcomed.
And I do not give orders. I noted the OP. Clearly your problem with religion has meant that you assume your opinion on religion is welcomed on all threads.
I am stating it was not requested, now was it welcomed.
Again Read the OP.

it always amuses me when OPs give orders that certain people are not allowed to give opinions.

I'll pick any thread I choose.

Don't throw orders around here, doesn't work. I am a free human to state my opinion wherever and
whenever I want.

You'll have to find a forum where all are sheep and obey everything thrown at them.

I'm a person who does not pray, just as those who pray state why they do, whats the problem,
it isn't even a biggy.

MHz
+1
I've been on some sites that allow the OP to ban posters from their threads, never saw it abused either.

Don't throw orders around here, doesn't work. I am a free human to state my opinion wherever and
whenever I want.

Your forgot 'mannerless' in the free human part,
Sorry Goober I will now ban myself.

talloola
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I've been on some sites that allow the OP to ban posters from their threads, never saw it abused either.

that would be sad if it happened here, I can just see the banning that would go on from many different
posters, as there is so much name calling and argueing on this forum, that would be one more step down
from all of the reporting and such that happens.

I can't believe my coming into this thread to say 'I don't pray' could cause such a stir, really.

OK then I'm very sorry I disturbed everyone, if someone wants to delete my post, go ahead, and I'll
just move on.

gerryh

it always amuses me when OPs give orders that certain people are not allowed to give opinions.

whenever I want.

You'll have to find a forum where all are sheep and obey everything thrown at them.

I'm a person who does not pray, just as those who pray state why they do, whats the problem,
it isn't even a biggy.

Not really interested in the canucks, but what the hell. It's as good a thread as any to troll.

talloola
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Not really interested in the canucks, but what the hell. It's as good a thread as any to troll.

I just stated that I am sorry I disturbed all of you, what more can I say, other than from all the
mean spirited posts I read on this forum, my little thread saying that I don't pray, and why is so
vanilla and harmless, and yet it caused such a problem.

I would not, and have never trolled any thread.

Goober
+1

whenever I want.

it isn't even a biggy.

The OP states what we are discussing. No orders from me.
Just another illusion you live under.
A free human, is that similar to a Old Free Range Hen? Mind you I would say your meat would be a tad tough as it has aged considerably. See I can be ignorant as well. Is that what you were looking for. I wonder at that.

Of course you can pick any thread to jump into. State an opinion that is not requested as in the OP. But that just demonstrates your inability to let others have a conversation about something without you jumping in and stirring the pot.
Clearly that is upsetting to you.

talloola
+1

The OP states what we are discussing. No orders from me.
Just another illusion you live under.
A free human, is that similar to a Old Free Range Hen? Mind you I would say your meat would be a tad tough as it has aged considerably. See I can be ignorant as well. Is that what you were looking for. I wonder at that.

Of course you can pick any thread to jump into. State an opinion that is not requested as in the OP. But that just demonstrates your inability to let others have a conversation about something without you jumping in and stirring the pot.
Clearly that is upsetting to you.

I didn't feel I was jumping in and stirring any pot, I just felt that I have a right and my opinion
that I don't pray, is just coming from another direction.

I am upset, why not. Just as you were when you jumped me for posting my opinion, when you clearly
gave orders for someone like me to 'stay' out.

So, go on with your praying thread, I won't be back to bother anyone.

gerryh

I would not, and have never trolled any thread.

Another lie. You troll the religious threads all the time.

MHz

I just felt that I have a right and my opinion

Isn't that how a 'big-mouth- operates, not that you are one but what is the difference?

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Another lie. You troll the religious threads all the time.

He is far from being alone in that regard, right cliffy?

Goober

I didn't feel I was jumping in and stirring any pot, I just felt that I have a right and my opinion

I am upset, why not. Just as you were when you jumped me for posting my opinion, when you clearly
gave orders for someone like me to 'stay' out.

So, go on with your praying thread, I won't be back to bother anyone.

I posted read the OP - That you were held to account was upsetting for you. It was clear in the OP.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

Your forgot 'mannerless' in the free human part,
Sorry Goober I will now ban myself.

No need to apologize

While in the Bible Jesus teaches us how to pray I do not know how many have a conversation and at times agrue with God. I have a number of converstations with God and the odd agruement. Rare, but it happens.
I also look at how lucky I am and thank him for that. To many do not understand in the West how good we have it.

L Gilbert
+2
I prey for moose, elk, grouse, trout, kokanee, and bass.

gerryh
And another troll heard from. Only ones missing are cliffy and dexter