Summitt Energy Scam

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Summitt Energy Scam
Posted via Canadian Content

It's something you may have already come across before and if you haven't, a family member or neighbour probably has. They're Energy resellers who often canvass neighbourhoods in search of unsuspecting home owners or renters with promises -- or outright lies -- of better deals on the cost of energy, be it Hydro or Gas.

After being scripted into signing up, many find out too late that they've been deceived into signing a contract completely unlike anything the deceptive door-to-door salespeople promise.

Summitt Energy is the name of a company we have recently received startling documents regarding. What we've reviewed were forged signatures and recordings of deceptive sales calls.

Deceptive tactics often start at the front door, where salespeople sometimes looking much like municipal hydro workers show up, even producing ID cards resembling something official. The followup telephone calls may be described as nothing less than confusing and manipulative.

Summitt and others such as Direct Energy hire so-called independent sales agents to use tried and tested sales tactics, usually rather deceptive, to get your municipal energy account number and trick you into signing a contract.

According to a telephone recording we've acquired, telephone sales agents of Summitt Energy used confusing language in telephone conversations to get you to say one thing: "Yes". "Yes" to lower energy rates and "Yes" to a long-term contract with a company you know nothing about.

The problem and deception here is the energy rates for hydro are never lower than the sales agents claim local utilities charge and after signing up, you may end up with a bill at the end of the month 5 times higher than one would expect.

One Toronto resident who knew nothing about being switched over to Summitt Energy was appaled to receive a bill with charges of over $900 for two months of service in a 1200 square foot duplex apartment. This scam involved a forged signature on a never-before-seen contract shortly after displaying a Toronto Hydro bill to a Summitt Energy salesperson, posing as an official from Toronto Hydro at his front doorstep.

Some victims claim they've been offered a protection plan on their energy prices and though it seems nothing like switching energy providers, it's just that. With electricity, consumers are always locked in to pay more for 5 years. With gas, it's a gamble that the resellers usually win.

The CBC and other media outlets have ripped these companies and their practices wide open, yet they still continue to go door-to-door preying on ill-advised or elderly consumers.

Summitt Energy was recently found liable by the Ontario Energy Board of using deceptive practices and ordered to cancel 17 contracts without charge or penalty. They are also now required to use plain language in contracts.

In reply to the ruling, Summitt's president and CEO Gerry Haggarty stated "Summitt remains highly committed to taking all necessary steps to ensure our customers receive full disclosure relating to our products and customers understand both the value of our products and the terms of the agreement to best determine if our products are suitable for their needs," though their unethical and deceptive business practices continue until now.

Energy Boards across the country do regulate the marketing and practices of energy resellers like Summitt and forgery and deception are both illegal and contrary to these regulations. Customers have every right to invalidate their contract if the salesperson was in any way deceptive and certainly where no contract was actually signed.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/summitt-energy-scam_1061.html

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Stop and think about this. 'Reseller' means markup from wholesale. Why does anyone think they'll get a better deal from a reseller?

I get phone calls all the time from resellers; the latest has been from someone calling on behalf of my cellular plan provider. When they ask what plan I'm on, I reply, 'If you really were calling from xxxx, you'd know that already. Goodbye'.

Good bye is the best response to anybody calling you out of the blue to offer you 'a deal'.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
IS this an Ontario thing? To the best of my knowledge there is nothing similar in B.C. for gas or electric legit or otherwise.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Taxslave, this isn't just an Ontario thing. Apparently Summit Energy operates out of BC, Ontario and Quebec.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Direct energy does the same thing and they work from Ontario to Alberta at least.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
IS this an Ontario thing? To the best of my knowledge there is nothing similar in B.C. for gas or electric legit or otherwise.

Guess we live too far from the main market areas to interest them. It would be funny if one of them came around offering a deal on gas since the line ends about 8k from our house. I would be interested in a good deal on firewood though. Less than the cost of a gallon of saw gas and a case of beer is good.

Energy123

Feb 14, 2011
If anyone is reading anything about the future face of Ontario's electricity prices, I would expect to see some of these articles change their tune. Everyone wants to cancel an electricity or natural gas contract when prices are high, but when they save money on these contracts people don't seem to want to share the news. Dalton McGuinty is announcing a 46% increase in electricity prices over the next 5 years - and the only way to avoid the hike is to sign up with an energy retailer. The reason why you pay a higher price when you sign is becasue you are buying price cerrtainty - just like locking into a mortgage term to avoid rising interest rates. Recent changes to the market rules now allow customers greater freedoms to cancel their agreements and lower penalties to do so if they choose - but no one is going to when they see the toll that an 8% increase (and that's only the increase they're telling you about) per year, year over year for the next 5 years is going to do to homeowners. It's time to stop villifying the people at your door and listen to what they have to say. Recently all Ontarians have recieved a pamphlet from the provincial government entitled 'Electricity prices are Changing' just flip to the inside panel to see what they are actually saying - the first line reads "Like in a lot of places around the world, electricity prices in Ontario are going up". I particularly enjoy their attempt to couch this in a sense of it's happening everywhere, not just here... read the pamphlet, get informed, and listen to what people are saying.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If anyone is reading anything about the future face of Ontario's electricity prices, I would expect to see some of these articles change their tune. Everyone wants to cancel an electricity or natural gas contract when prices are high, but when they save money on these contracts people don't seem to want to share the news. Dalton McGuinty is announcing a 46% increase in electricity prices over the next 5 years - and the only way to avoid the hike is to sign up with an energy retailer. The reason why you pay a higher price when you sign is becasue you are buying price cerrtainty - just like locking into a mortgage term to avoid rising interest rates. Recent changes to the market rules now allow customers greater freedoms to cancel their agreements and lower penalties to do so if they choose - but no one is going to when they see the toll that an 8% increase (and that's only the increase they're telling you about) per year, year over year for the next 5 years is going to do to homeowners. It's time to stop villifying the people at your door and listen to what they have to say. Recently all Ontarians have recieved a pamphlet from the provincial government entitled 'Electricity prices are Changing' just flip to the inside panel to see what they are actually saying - the first line reads "Like in a lot of places around the world, electricity prices in Ontario are going up". I particularly enjoy their attempt to couch this in a sense of it's happening everywhere, not just here... read the pamphlet, get informed, and listen to what people are saying.

So, which reseller are you prostituting yourself for?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
So, which reseller are you prostituting yourself for?

Good question. Here's your answer:

network:Organization;I:1229.mtsallstream.com
network:Admin-Contact;I:1253.mtsallstream.com
network:Admin-Contact-Name:KAREEM, SAMEER
network:Admin-Contact-Phone:416-817-2647
network:Admin-Contact-Email:

So the post came from Summitt's head office.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
good question. Here's your answer:

Network:eek:rganization;i:1229.mtsallstream.com
network:admin-contact;i:1253.mtsallstream.com
network:admin-contact-name:kareem, sameer
network:admin-contact-phone:416-817-2647
network:admin-contact-email:

so the post came from summitt's head office.

lol..

tycat24

Mar 7, 2011
Honestly, the industry in Ontario has become too regulated by the Ontario Government for these companies to be providing something that's not beneficial. They've gotten fined enough times but it's all because of sales reps in my opinion. The problem lies in the way these services are sold. Many people don't understand the benefits, and the sales rep at the door is just trying to get commission, so he lies. I've actually saved money with Summitt Energy because I locked in at a low fixed-price. When I first signed up I didn't really understand what I signed and thought I was scammed...I was paying like 4 cents more for my gas than I would have if I was on variable rate with Enbridge, and I couldn't cancel my contract. Then like 6 months down the road, gas prices skyrocketed, and I found myself paying a lot less than what my friends were paying. After like two months the cost difference worked itself out, and I was saving like 30 bucks a month for my gas.

Have you ever gotten a mortgage? you can chose between variable rate that constantly changes, or fixed-rate that locks you into the price at that time. Gas and electricity contracts are the same thing.

Say what you want, but from personal experience, fixed-price has worked for me. I think people just need to understand the service. It's not the same as it was 5 years ago when everything was deregulated, these companies are closely monitored by the Ontario Government now. And even now, the Ontario government is spending billions of dollars trying to communicate the message that our energy prices are going to keep rising, because they're spending a ton of money on renewable energy and closing down coal plants. It doesn't take a genius to know that the cost of gas and electricity now is going to be cheaper than it is in two years.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Honestly, the industry in Ontario has become too regulated by the Ontario Government for these companies to be providing something that's not beneficial. They've gotten fined enough times but it's all because of sales reps in my opinion. The problem lies in the way these services are sold. Many people don't understand the benefits, and the sales rep at the door is just trying to get commission, so he lies. I've actually saved money with Summitt Energy because I locked in at a low fixed-price. When I first signed up I didn't really understand what I signed and thought I was scammed...I was paying like 4 cents more for my gas than I would have if I was on variable rate with Enbridge, and I couldn't cancel my contract. Then like 6 months down the road, gas prices skyrocketed, and I found myself paying a lot less than what my friends were paying. After like two months the cost difference worked itself out, and I was saving like 30 bucks a month for my gas.

Have you ever gotten a mortgage? you can chose between variable rate that constantly changes, or fixed-rate that locks you into the price at that time. Gas and electricity contracts are the same thing.

Say what you want, but from personal experience, fixed-price has worked for me. I think people just need to understand the service. It's not the same as it was 5 years ago when everything was deregulated, these companies are closely monitored by the Ontario Government now. And even now, the Ontario government is spending billions of dollars trying to communicate the message that our energy prices are going to keep rising, because they're spending a ton of money on renewable energy and closing down coal plants. It doesn't take a genius to know that the cost of gas and electricity now is going to be cheaper than it is in two years.

Hello Energy123....sorry, I mean tycat24. Nobody believed the bull**** before, so why are you trying again?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My son, or rather his wife got caught in one of them scams when he was renting a duplex, and he was stuck for five years no matter if he moved or bought a house....
His only way out was to move into an all utilities included appartement when he seperated from his wife (not because she signed-up for that hydro scam but that's another story;-))

shinglemaster9

Apr 19, 2011
Exactly what you are reporting on has happened to me, I had just bought my house and one of summitt's agents came to my door asking to see my gas bill to make sure that we had price protection, we let him see the bill and once we realized that he was not from Enbridge we told him that we didn't want to participate in this program. He left our porch and we thought that this was the end. A few weeks later they called us and we repeatedly told them no that we did not want to sign up. This went on for a few weeks and finally they stopped. We thought that was it . Our gas bill was always a little high due to the fact that we had a 30 year old furnace in our house. So this passed september we changed the furnace in our house and our first bill with a high efficiency energy star furnace was over $300 we were shocked and called enbridge and that was when we were told about our gas supplier being Summitt. We contacted summitt and they emailed us a copy of our so called contract. It has the wrong address and a forged signature . Their agents are so desperate to get paid that if they spend the time talking to you and explaining their company and you say no you've wasted their time so they forge the signatures to get their money.

TiredoftheBull

Jun 22, 2011
My parents just realized they have been SCAMMED for the past two years. One of my father's friends told him about his gruelling situation with Summit Energy, so my father decided to check his bill when he came home. He then compared it with two of my aunt's gas bills and guess what? Both my Aunts paid 13 cents last month. My father paid 36.9 cents. He has been paying it since march 2009 when my unsuspecting mother was dupped by one of these scumbags into signing a contract. At that time, the rate was 26 cents or so so my father didn't really notice a huge hike in his gas bill. And since he still received a bill that was completely branded ENBRIDGE, front and back, he didn't even think twice about it. My mom forgot to mention anything to him about the guy coming to the door because she was dupped into thinking that the person at the door worked for a division of Enbridge and her bills were "price protected" from gas prices going very high. So... my parents have been paying 36.7 cents for the last 2 -1/4 years. When I spoke to the idiot from Summit on the phone yesterday, I asked him exactly WHO the "price protection guarantee" was supposed to protect them from, since they were paying triple of what Enbridge charges. He had NO answer. Surprise, surprise.

To
tycat24 aka Energy123 said:
I've actually saved money with Summitt Energy because I locked in at a low fixed-price. When I first signed up I didn't really understand what I signed and thought I was scammed...I was paying like 4 cents more for my gas than I would have if I was on variable rate with Enbridge, and I couldn't cancel my contract. Then like 6 months down the road, gas prices skyrocketed, and I found myself paying a lot less than what my friends were paying. After like two months the cost difference worked itself out, and I was saving like 30 bucks a month for my gas.

To reply to this quote of yours: Gas prices were 26 cents when my parents signed up for the 5-year fixed rate of 37 cents. They have fluctuated, but have never gone higher than 37 cents. This month, they were 13 cents. What world are you living in that you saved money? And please DO NOT compare your company's services and tactics to those of Mortgage Brokers. I am in a realted Industry and in 7 years I have been in business I have NEVER heard anyone complain that they were SCAMMED by a bank or Mortgage Broker for signing up to a "fixed" interest rate. Your company's tactics and morals are one for the books, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
TiredoftheBull, welcome to Canadian Content Forums!

To be completely clear, we have identified both Energy123 and tycat24 as both coming from the head office of Summitt Energy and neither have come back since they posted their bullcrap supporting the scam of Summitt Energy a few months ago. Since each post has an IP address linked to it and every single IP address in the world has publicly available WHOIS data available, the moderators and admins here can confirm where it came from and we did in this case.

The tactics of this company are truly atrocious and in allowing this article to be posted, CC requested all of the backup documents from the original author of which we have on file for legal reasons and potential libel lawsuits (just as any media agency would).

The moral of the story is to keep away from door-to-door salespeople. Unfortunately, the regulatory agencies in Canada have done very little to stop various industries, especially energy resellers, from duping consumers into paying ridiculous bills for contracts obtained by fraud.