Remember when money was worth something?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I bought a small bottle of Motrin, 18 tablet pack of Robax Platinum and a 10 pack of Gillette Sensor razors. The cost? $56. Effin ridiculous. $5-something in tax alone. The grocery clerk took a second look at the cost and apologized.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I bought a small bottle of Motrin, 18 tablet pack of Robax Platinum and a 10 pack of Gillette Sensor razors. The cost? $56. Effin ridiculous. $5-something in tax alone. The grocery clerk took a second look at the cost and apologized.

Yep, I can remember a grocer delivering a week's supply of groceries for a family of six for under $10. Bread was 11 cents a loaf and milk was 14 cents a quart. (Milk was delivered separately by the milkman). :lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Just be glad that you don't have the HST like we do in Ontario...or do you?8O

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
In B.C. since July- we don't like it very much. :smile:

It sure sucks!

At least the Eco-tax that McSquinty tried to implement here got turfed...hopefully for good.

How's this for stupid? The Eco-tax was placed on laundry detergent. Ummmm, how the freaking heck are you supposed to recycle laundry detergent? It goes down the drain, that is it's USE! Needless to say, this was just one of the reasons there was such a crap-storm raised about it and that is why they had no choice but to get rid of it. I wish we could have done the same thing with the HST...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
When I was a boy, Mom would send me down to the corner store with a dollar, and I'd come back with five pounds of potatoes, two loaves of bread,three pints of milk, a pound of cheese, a packet of tea, and half a dozen
eggs.

You can't do that now. Too many damn security cameras.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When I was 15 smokes were 45 cents a pack, gas was 25 cents, a bottle of Pepsi was 10cents.
bars were a dine as well. order of fries 25 cents and 30 cents for a burger.
At 16 when i got my licence, Drive in movie, was 50 cents. a case of beer was 3dollars. and
money was actually worth something Hard to believe the cost of things today

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When I was 15 smokes were 45 cents a pack, gas was 25 cents, a bottle of Pepsi was 10cents.
At 16 when i got my licence, Drive in movie, was 50 cents. a case of beer was 3dollars. and
Most of that stuff is still only worth what we used to pay for it but money is worth nothing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I remember the price of a case of beer was steady at $2.52 for about 20 years, it started creeping up in the early 70s. When draught reached $1.50 a glass in the pub, that pretty much marked the end of my drinking days, I said enough is enough.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
God beer by the glass I remember when it was about a dime for a glass. I was in
Red Deer at the time. You are right though it kept creeping up and after awhile I
said to hell with this. I was managing night clubs in the late 70's and early 80's
and beer and spirits jumped to 2 dollars it was a major shift in drinking habits for
a while.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can remember draft at $.25 a glass on special at the Riverview Arms in Fredericton in the 1980s...I also remember going in there with $20, and waking up sometime the next day, at home, with nothing in my pockets, and no memories of spending it. I wonder what happened?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can remember draft at $.25 a glass on special at the Riverview Arms in Fredericton in the 1980s...I also remember going in there with $20, and waking up sometime the next day, at home, with nothing in my pockets, and no memories of spending it. I wonder what happened?

Brings back memories but I did it on $3.00. :lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
When I was a boy, Mom would send me down to the corner store with a dollar, and I'd come back with five pounds of potatoes, two loaves of bread,three pints of milk, a pound of cheese, a packet of tea, and half a dozen
eggs.

You can't do that now. Too many damn security cameras.

Cannuck, that was priceless! A good laugh in the morning is every bit as important as a good breakfast.

Thank you!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
In B.C. since July- we don't like it very much. :smile:

*Finger points at BC and Ontario from Nova Scotia*

I told yas.... I friggin told ya bunch of trouts dem bais in dar gov'nent r' out ta jig the lil' people of dare hard ern'd quid and none oar dem sav'ns dem lil' fk'rs promised t'was true.

Wel'comes to d'club wit dar rest o' us sogs.

In regards to the topic with the high prices..... I also blame NAFTA, those damn 10 cent deposits per bottle/can added to your 6, 12, 24 packs, and idiot tax grabs in the name of the environment...... among other things.

I remember the price of a case of beer was steady at $2.52 for about 20 years, it started creeping up in the early 70s. When draught reached $1.50 a glass in the pub, that pretty much marked the end of my drinking days, I said enough is enough.

In most bars, you're now looking at almost $5 a bottle.... I remember when I turned 19 a bottle was only $3.50 and a shot was a flat $2.... and a pack of smokes was around $5.65...... now where I live, that same pack of smokes is between $11 - 13...... in the span of less then a decade, smokes doubled in price.

And people wonder why "illegal cigarette" sales are flourishing and illegal drug use isn't going down any......

Oh but if you don't pay for the legal, much more expensive crap the government tells you to buy, none of that money goes to taxes to "fix roads or educate our children" ~ From one of the recent Crime Stoppers commercials where I live.

^ I'm sorry, but why the hell are continually increasing tobacco and liquor taxes being put to children's education and fixing the roads? Isn't that sort of a mixed message when you're putting tax money taken from the addictions of fellow citizens to help teach and educate children or to fix roads?

Maybe the health care or towards programs to help people quit smoking or drinking..... but if these insane high taxes on tobacco and alcohol products are for roads and children's education..... wtf are the rest of our taxes going to that we pay on other products??

The other argument on the Crime Stoppers commercial towards not buying illegal cigarettes, but rather, pay for the legal and 5x more expensive cigarettes is, "You don't know what's in them."

^ I don't know wtf is in the legal brand name ones either, but they both look like they have tobacco in them and they both have filters and I'd think the natives making their own tobacco know a bit more about what goes in them, compared to some big wig tobacco corporation who adds all sorts of additionally addictive crap into theirs..... which you pay a hell of a lot more for a hell of a lot less.

Great argument.

And some wonder why people don't take the normal path and work around certain things to save themselves some hard earned money. With the level of BS we all go through in life and the amount things cost these days, it's no wonder.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Paraphrasing the immortal words of Estelle Getty: "Picture it.... Canada, 1957".

A single man could rent a oom for $25 a month. Live and not go hungry on $1.00 a day. Visit the local brothel (once a week) for $5.00. Cup of coffee 5 cents. Loaf of bread 30 cents. And most importantly, a glass of draught beer 15 cents and a large pack of Export Plain 41 cents.

Let us not forget, though that the going wages were 93 and a half cents per hour. All this is quoted from my own personal experience.

Now that I am retired, after 50+ years, I can say that I am better off now than I was then.

So, let us stop the bitching. If you made nothing of your life, it is your fault.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Paraphrasing the immortal words of Estelle Getty: "Picture it.... Canada, 1957".

A single man could rent a oom for $25 a month. Live and not go hungry on $1.00 a day. Visit the local brothel (once a week) for $5.00. Cup of coffee 5 cents. Loaf of bread 30 cents. And most importantly, a glass of draught beer 15 cents and a large pack of Export Plain 41 cents.

Let us not forget, though that the going wages were 93 and a half cents per hour. All this is quoted from my own personal experience.

Now that I am retired, after 50+ years, I can say that I am better off now than I was then.

So, let us stop the bitching. If you made nothing of your life, it is your fault.

Who said anything about not making anything of their life?

We're just bitching about how things have gotten more expensive. Some things in life are better and other things are worse..... it'll always be that way, but that doesn't mean people still can't vent and complain.

If nobody complained, nothing would change :p

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ah people - this is a grumpy morning edition I guess

I like to think of all the conveniences our money buys now - most families have cars and television and all kinds of electronic gizmos to make life simpler - and many couples choose to work to earn more so they can have a better life.

I tend not to weigh my happiness on how much I spend any more - and if I have to "do without" on some treat or gizmo - I put it away for later.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Who said anything about not making anything of their life?

We're just bitching about how things have gotten more expensive. Some things in life are better and other things are worse..... it'll always be that way, but that doesn't mean people still can't vent and complain.

If nobody complained, nothing would change :p

Funny, I did not hear you about bitching how your wages/salary have gone up.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Funny, I did not hear you about bitching how your wages/salary have gone up.

For the last three years, they haven't..... and I had to fight tooth and nail for the two raises I did get before that..... others in my company haven't received raises for even longer then I.

Oh but the cost of my power, phone, internet, food and just about everything else has gone up.

But thanks for giving me another reason to bitch ;-)