Looking for good coffee machine

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What sort of coffee are you looking to make?

We had a good Cuisinart drip type machine, it was great until the clock died, and it would shut off soon after brewing a pot.

We now have a Krups something, which is a good machine, but the carafe is prone to dripping when you pour water into it.

I like the Bodum units, but with them the coffee isn't ready when you get out of bed.

We have one of those Tassimo type machines at work, I don't think it makes very good coffee, but for work, it's better than a pot of 4 hour old coffee.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Anybody know of a good coffee machine out on todays market?
Mostly it depends on what you want to spend on one. If you are not looking for an expensive coffee maker, stay away from Black and Decker. Their coffee pot pours like a sieve. It also depends on what you like. I had a nice one made by Hamilton Beach which I now use in our travel trailer. I loved it because it has a removable pot if necessary but otherwise, all we had to do was press our cup against a button to pour one cup. My problem with it is that the coffee sits in plastic the whole time and I like the taste of coffee that sits either in a glass pot or a glass lined thermal pot. Other things to watch for are - does it have a timer if you like one and most important to me in regard to timers, is - does it have an automatic shut-off. I like to know that if I leave my house in a hurry, and forget to shut things off, it will be okay. So - check the spout (B & D has a squared off spout), check the timers and also, check the number of cups it makes. If you entertain often, a 10 cup pot can be a nusiance - go for the 12.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Personally speaking - I don't like Bodum coffee or tea. For coffee I don't like the taste or the mess. I make my coffee the night before but I don't set a timer for wake up time because our shifts are all over the map. I still get the pot ready though so all I have to do in the morning is push the on button.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We use French press mostly (Bodem). We have a DeLonghi espresso machine, too though. Also a Braun drip coffee maker we use for when company comes. Our percolator (Corningware) is in the cupboard and it makes slightly better coffee than the press, but it uses more energy than the kettle.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Mostly it depends on what you want to spend on one. If you are not looking for an expensive coffee maker, stay away from Black and Decker. Their coffee pot pours like a sieve. It also depends on what you like. I had a nice one made by Hamilton Beach which I now use in our travel trailer. I loved it because it has a removable pot if necessary but otherwise, all we had to do was press our cup against a button to pour one cup. My problem with it is that the coffee sits in plastic the whole time and I like the taste of coffee that sits either in a glass pot or a glass lined thermal pot. Other things to watch for are - does it have a timer if you like one and most important to me in regard to timers, is - does it have an automatic shut-off. I like to know that if I leave my house in a hurry, and forget to shut things off, it will be okay. So - check the spout (B & D has a squared off spout), check the timers and also, check the number of cups it makes. If you entertain often, a 10 cup pot can be a nusiance - go for the 12.
Krupps make a great product.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

What's your budget? That's the biggest determining factor....
I'm quite happy with my Black & Decker Coffee Maker. I think it
cost me a whole $13 retail, & has lasted for about 6yrs so far.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
What's your budget? That's the biggest determining factor....
I'm quite happy with my Black & Decker Coffee Maker. I think it
cost me a whole $13 retail, & has lasted for about 6yrs so far.

They changed the pot Ron. It now has a square pouring slot and it pours all over the counter. When I pour coffee I have to do it over the sink or be prepared to clean up a huge mess. (not to mention the spilled coffee we don't get to drink because of it.
I was in Costco today and they had a really nice one on for about $48.00 but I cannot remember the brand. It was a good name though. I considered buying it myself but I was short on time (it's a kidlet day today) so I will check it out again.

lindyloo646

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2008
Saskatchewan
They changed the pot Ron. It now has a square pouring slot and it pours all over the counter. When I pour coffee I have to do it over the sink or be prepared to clean up a huge mess. (not to mention the spilled coffee we don't get to drink because of it.
I was in Costco today and they had a really nice one on for about $48.00 but I cannot remember the brand. It was a good name though. I considered buying it myself but I was short on time (it's a kidlet day today) so I will check it out again.

Actually, just bought the "Oster" pot from Costco in the last couple of weeks, if that is the pot VI, then I suggest you skip it. Leaks all over when you pour it also.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

A word of advice. Don't spend 20 or even 50 bucks on a coffee maker. Alwayz spend at least a 100 bucks.

I've had those cheapies before and they ARE A FIRE HAZARD. I left coffee warming in the pot once, zipped to the store, came back and coffee maker was JUST getting engulfed in flames! A melted, white plastic mess!

This is the like the one I got right here, spent $120 I think.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Actually, just bought the "Oster" pot from Costco in the last couple of weeks, if that is the pot VI, then I suggest you skip it. Leaks all over when you pour it also.
I'm not positive that was the one but it might be. Thanks for letting me know. I'm so glad I didn't make a snap decision and just buy it. Costco is good about taking things back and if I was you - I would take it back. I've been putting up with this leaky pot for close to a year. I keep looking at different pots but cannot decide which one I want. We both loved our Hamilton Beach except for the coffee sitting in plastic. Maybe one day they'll put out a pot that is glass lined in the same model.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
A word of advice. Don't spend 20 or even 50 bucks on a coffee maker. Alwayz spend at least a 100 bucks.

I've had those cheapies before and they ARE A FIRE HAZARD. I left coffee warming in the pot once, zipped to the store, came back and coffee maker was JUST getting engulfed in flames! A melted, white plastic mess!

This is the like the one I got right here, spent $120 I think.

It appears to be SS with a glass liner. Is it? I've looked at that pot in London Drugs. I remembered that one glass lined pot we had was great as long as we drank the coffee immediately. There was no heat under the pot so unless we pre-warmed the pot before we brewed, we had one cup of hot and then cold coffee.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I agree but they can be a tad on the pricey side.
I lived in Europe for nearly 10 years and loved European coffee - Krupps is worth it - then it depends upon how much you enjoy something - then the $ are what makes the difference -

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I lived in Europe for nearly 10 years and loved European coffee - Krupps is worth it - then it depends upon how much you enjoy something - then the $ are what makes the difference -
VI

PS
If you can find an old pyrex glass coffe percolator - go for it - better than the drip kind - also the coffee type - If you have a friend that ever drives back from Mexicco ask them to bring a large bag of beans back - roast and grind them as you use - MMMMMMMMM Good
and never erer store coffee in the freezer. Dries it out and removes that flavor -

Also try adding some freshly ground beans to your mix - a little here and there - before you know it you can have gourmet coffee - also in NA the coffee sucks -