Do not consume frozen Leatherjacket fish

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
OTTAWA - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Frobisher International Enterprise Ltd. are warning the public not to consume the School of Fish brand frozen Leatherjacket described below because the product may be contaminated with ciguatera toxin.

The affected product, School of Fish brand frozen Leatherjacket, product of China, is sold in packages of various weights bearing Production Code HI04 and one of the following Size and UPC combinations:

a) Size 100/200 and UPC 8 74718 00074 0; or,
b) Size 200/400 and UPC 8 74718 00073 3.

This product has been distributed in British Columbia and Ontario.

There have been two reported illnesses associated with the consumption of this product.

Fish contaminated with ciguatera toxin may not look or smell spoiled.

Ciguatera toxin is a marine biotoxin that accumulates in fish and causes an illness in humans called Ciguatera Poisoning. The toxin is not destroyed by cooking. The symptoms of Ciguatera Poisoning include gastroenteritis (vomiting, cramps, diarrhea), itching of the skin, and central nervous system dysfunction, which often includes hot and cold inversion (e.g., cold foods or drinks feel hot, a hot shower feels cold, etc.). 8O

The importer, Frobisher International Enterprise Ltd., Delta, British Columbia is voluntarily recalling the affected product from the marketplace.

The CFIA is monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.

For more information, consumers and industry can call one of the following numbers:

Frobisher International Enterprise Ltd. at 604-523-8108; or,

CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 / TTY 1-800-465-7735 (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday to Friday).

eom :canada:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Just finished reading an article that explains how drinking water is really like drinking dinosaur urine....makes me oh so happy to hear this kind of 'scientific" information...

Hermite, isn't it wonderful having CFIA updates on food? When I first signed up a few years ago I was astounded at how often food is contaminated, distributed and how much is actually recalled but never "published" in the mainstream media.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Thanks Hermite:

We don't knowingly eat ANYTHING from China.

Sometimes hard to do as the sneaky bastards export stuff to Canada, which is packed here and labelled........."imported"..........but don't say from where.

num num. :angry3:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Probably safer to just catch your own....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Am I the only one here who had never heard of a "leather jacket fish?