De-odorizing a petro-purse

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Guys, I could really use any tips anyone might have, on how to deodorize a bag my mom bought me for my birthday. It is the cutest bag, made to carry a laptop, and it's perfect for my trip abroad. The problem is, it stinks! It smells like gasoline! I don't even want to know how they manufactured it that it can stink like that, but, I can't get the smell to go away. I'm at a total loss. I can't take this thing on a plane smelling like gasoline.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
sprinkle it with activated charcoal or leave it outdoors for a while.

A trick I always find works with getting smells of my hands is to handle some small change for a while. there is a distinctive smell to small change, which totally overcomes all other smells.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
sprinkle it with activated charcoal or leave it outdoors for a while.

A trick I always find works with getting smells of my hands is to handle some small change for a while. there is a distinctive smell to small change, which totally overcomes all other smells.

where would one find activated charcoal, and will it stain an ivory purse?

small change probably wouldn't cut it... I scrubbed it down with orange oil yesterday hoping that would help. But it didn't. And my usual 'go to' deodorizer (vinegar), would probably just destroy it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
You used to be able to buy fridge deodorizers in the UK. they were shaped like an egg and contained activated charcoal. perhaps if you could get something like that and you could put the bag in a large ziploc bag with it, that'd work?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You used to be able to buy fridge deodorizers in the UK. they were shaped like an egg and contained activated charcoal. perhaps if you could get something like that and you could put the bag in a large ziploc bag with it, that'd work?

I've never seen a charcoal on here, just the baking soda variety. But, that might cut it. and baking soda wouldn't stain it. Toss it in a large bag and smother it in soda... lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
vinyl bi-cast leather-like product. Feels like real leather. But, the smell would indicate otherwise. lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One thing you might try is buy a small box of Arm and Hammer baking soda and dumping about half the box into the purse. Close the purse and shake the soda into all corners and leave it for a few days. After a few days, dump the baking soda out and repeat the process with the other half box. If the odor is still there, spray in a bit of deodorant and hope for the best....:roll::lol:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I thought about baking soda, but I think it probably won't work in this case, since baking soda is an ionic solid, and most likely the smell is caused by a molecular compound (ie non-polar, hydrophobic). Baking soda would be good for absorbing anything which might dissolve in water, but for a synthetic fabric, probably coated with something synthetic, probably a by-product of the process by which it was made, you'll need something non-polar, which is why i suggested carbon.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There are insoles that have activated charcoal in them. Odor eaters I think they are called. They aren't that expensive.....Perhaps they could be snipped into tiny pieces and put into the purse. Couldn't hurt.....;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There are insoles that have activated charcoal in them. Odor eaters I think they are called. They aren't that expensive.....Perhaps they could be snipped into tiny pieces and put into the purse. Couldn't hurt.....;-)

surely I can find something better. I'll check Rona and Lee Valley and see if I can find charcoal. If not there, would it be the same as the charcoal for fish filters?