Rogers Home Phone: no 911 calls when it's down (and it can go down for days!)

zeeg

May 27, 2008
*EMERGENCY SERIVICES (911, police, ambulance, fire department) DO NOT WORK WITH ROGERS HOME PHONE when they have techinical problems.
*IF YOU LIVE IN AN APARTMENT/CONDO WITH A BUZZER YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LET PEOPLE IN while Rogers experiences technical problems... we have experienced 8 hour, 16 hour, 24 hour, and recently 100+ hours (about 5 days) Rogers Home Phone technical problems (this time attributed to an outside box).
*ROGERS CUSTOMER SERVICE IS VERY VERY POOR. They take two days (that is, waiting between 9 and 5pm) to come, and then didn't follow instructions to get in, and the another 3 days to sort-of fix the problem. When head office is called, there is no admittance of poor services, no attempt to assuage the customer (in fact, I was initially made to feel the problem was my fault), no solutions or customer services provided, such as "We'll provide you with you an interim cell phone, while not admitting liablility", or "We'll correct the problem and credit you for a month". You will be stonewalled-- you will get no higher than middle-management (if that). When I said to customer service "If I was at a restaurant that I went to all the time and I got food with worms in it delivered by an indifferent waiter and I complained, management would say 'Sorry for the bad service and food, and we know you're a long-time customer' and take steps to rectify the situation. Rogers says 'We've provided good service. We have no reason to improve," despite the horrible technical and customer support. But most importantly, here's what Rogers says re: bad service and inability to access 911: "We are not liable."
*OUR ROGERS HOME PHONE HAS GONE DOWN 4 TIMES, in about five months once for a few hours, once for a whole day, and the worst was 5 DAYS! During those 5 days we had no incoming calls, were unable to make outgoing calls, and unable to buzz people in to our apartment.
If you need stability in your phone system for any reason (you have children, you might have an emergency); if you do business from home and take important phone calls; if you live in a condo or apartment with a buzzer code, DO NOT USE ROGERS HOME PHONE.

The main point of this post is to inform people that when Rogers Home phone goes down or has technical problems, you will not be able to make ANY outgoing calls, which is very dangerous in an emergency at home (especially if you have kids, or are elderly, or cook at home, or have a fireplace, or ever would like 24/7/365 access to 911). People need to know this if they are thinking of switching to Rogers Home Phone! (being buried deep in the fine print isn't good enough.)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd be willing to bet that every phone company has it buried deep in their small print that if your phone lines are down, your phone won't work. :lol:

zeeg

May 27, 2008
Was with Bell telephone for 15 years and had NO phone outages; with Rogers for six months and had 4 or 5, from a few hours to a few days. Regular land lines continue to work with various outages (power, etc.) Rogers Home Phone does not. The point is not the fine print. Of course people understand that if the telephone line is blown over or whatever, the phone will be out. The point is deeply inadequate service. Outage after outage. Days to fix. Again, 15 years with Bell, no problems. 1/2 year with Rogers, 5 problems. (Not including the general problem of radio noise on the phone-- sometimes so intrusive hard to hear a conversation. This noise on the phone did not start until we switched to Rogers Home Phone.)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Was with Bell telephone for 15 years and had NO phone outages; with Rogers for six months and had 4 or 5, from a few hours to a few days. Regular land lines continue to work with various outages (power, etc.) Rogers Home Phone does not. The point is not the fine print. Of course people understand that if the telephone line is blown over or whatever, the phone will be out. The point is deeply inadequate service. Outage after outage. Days to fix. Again, 15 years with Bell, no problems. 1/2 year with Rogers, 5 problems. (Not including the general problem of radio noise on the phone-- sometimes so intrusive hard to hear a conversation. This noise on the phone did not start until we switched to Rogers Home Phone.)

switch back

zeeg

May 27, 2008
Have switched now, of course, but thanks gerry for the carefully considered and so really thoughtful advice. This post is to inform future users about the poor Rogers Home Phone service. Had I read something like this, we never would have switched.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I've read similar complaints about Bell...Telus....shaw.....rogers....sympatico.........

zeeg

May 27, 2008
Since when is Bell using cable/modems for home telephony? And you've read that these other services have gone frequently down (and for as long as 5 days) in the downtown of a major city?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

But you saved a buck and got what you paid for. Do you shop at Wal-Mart?

Poquas

Feb 28, 2008
I've read similar complaints about Bell...Telus....shaw.....rogers....sympatico.........

A land line from Bell or Telus is not subject to IP errors, or power failures which will shut a VoIP connection down. All of the VoIP services have had similar problems that make it unreliable.

ShintoMale

Electoral Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto, Canada
*EMERGENCY SERIVICES (911, police, ambulance, fire department) DO NOT WORK WITH ROGERS HOME PHONE when they have techinical problems.
*IF YOU LIVE IN AN APARTMENT/CONDO WITH A BUZZER YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LET PEOPLE IN while Rogers experiences technical problems... we have experienced 8 hour, 16 hour, 24 hour, and recently 100+ hours (about 5 days) Rogers Home Phone technical problems (this time attributed to an outside box).
*ROGERS CUSTOMER SERVICE IS VERY VERY POOR. They take two days (that is, waiting between 9 and 5pm) to come, and then didn't follow instructions to get in, and the another 3 days to sort-of fix the problem. When head office is called, there is no admittance of poor services, no attempt to assuage the customer (in fact, I was initially made to feel the problem was my fault), no solutions or customer services provided, such as "We'll provide you with you an interim cell phone, while not admitting liablility", or "We'll correct the problem and credit you for a month". You will be stonewalled-- you will get no higher than middle-management (if that). When I said to customer service "If I was at a restaurant that I went to all the time and I got food with worms in it delivered by an indifferent waiter and I complained, management would say 'Sorry for the bad service and food, and we know you're a long-time customer' and take steps to rectify the situation. Rogers says 'We've provided good service. We have no reason to improve," despite the horrible technical and customer support. But most importantly, here's what Rogers says re: bad service and inability to access 911: "We are not liable."
*OUR ROGERS HOME PHONE HAS GONE DOWN 4 TIMES, in about five months once for a few hours, once for a whole day, and the worst was 5 DAYS! During those 5 days we had no incoming calls, were unable to make outgoing calls, and unable to buzz people in to our apartment.
If you need stability in your phone system for any reason (you have children, you might have an emergency); if you do business from home and take important phone calls; if you live in a condo or apartment with a buzzer code, DO NOT USE ROGERS HOME PHONE.

The main point of this post is to inform people that when Rogers Home phone goes down or has technical problems, you will not be able to make ANY outgoing calls, which is very dangerous in an emergency at home (especially if you have kids, or are elderly, or cook at home, or have a fireplace, or ever would like 24/7/365 access to 911). People need to know this if they are thinking of switching to Rogers Home Phone! (being buried deep in the fine print isn't good enough.)

where did you get this from?