Heparin... BEWARE!!!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Heparin Probe Focuses On One Contaminant

FDA Suspects Allergic Reactions To Blood Thinner Are Linked To A Heparin-Like Ingredient

Some of Baxter International's recalled blood thinner heparin contained large amounts of a contaminant that might explain hundreds of serious side effects. And the government said Wednesday it's investigating whether what appears to be a fake ingredient got there by accident or by fraud.

The Food and Drug Administration said 19 deaths from allergic-type reactions are now associated with the recalled drug, up from four.

Baxter insisted the contaminant further points suspicion at ingredient suppliers in China, which are under increasing scrutiny after a wave of recalls involving food, drug and toy imports.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/05/health/main3912813.shtml
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am shocked!!! Medicine is supposed to help us, not kill us!!! And then right away shove the blame over to China!!! Rats!!!!:x

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It's getting easier to blame China because the ingedients for just about anything come from China.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My question is...does it effect Canadian supplies of the drug.....if so...how long before supplies are safe again....sme people don't have a lot of choices when it comes to blood thinners.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Not too many people take heparin as a blood thinner since it has to be injected (no pill form) so it's generally a hospital problem only. People at home usually take coumadin, so the effects of this will be limited.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's getting easier to blame China because the ingedients for just about anything come from China.

Now if only some astute American wannabe like David Frum could spin the tale to make China the guilty party for causing the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan....well the world would be a much safer place now wouln't it?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
David Frum David Frum Why Did You Have To Mention That Despicable Piece Of Crap, Now My Day Is Ruined, My Lunch Is Ruined, My Dinner Is Ruined I Won't Be Able To Control My Urges, I I I But But But --------no I -------don't Want Another Needle-------get Back-----stay Frum Frum Frum Frum Frum

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
Not too many people take heparin as a blood thinner since it has to be injected (no pill form) so it's generally a hospital problem only. People at home usually take coumadin, so the effects of this will be limited.

there are many that take heparin as a blood thiner and unless you in the majority you would never know... many pregnant women have to take it...and yes we have to learn to inject it ourselves... people coming home from the hospital with heart conditions... and probably some that I don't know of...

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Here is an update from March 19, 2008

Scientists Near Source of Altered Heparin

Scientists investigating a mystery contaminant in the blood thinner heparin are closing in on what they believe is a counterfeit substance, most likely made in China from animal cartilage, that was chemically altered to act like the real drug. The United States Food and Drug Administration declined to confirm that statement and a spokeswoman said the agency would have no comment.
But in interviews, heparin experts in China and the United States — including one researcher involved in the inquiry — said that a chemically altered substance called over-sulfated chondroitin sulfate is probably the contaminant that the F.D.A. says is linked to hundreds of allergic reactions and 19 deaths.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/wo...th&oref=slogin