Banks

Gina

Feb 13, 2008
Hi there!

Several years ago my ex-boyfriend whom I at the time took my bank debit card while I was away and stole money from the bank. What he did was over withrawn money to a fogus deposit. I remember trying to explain this to the bank but of course I am responsible. SInce then I had moved on and married and didn't rely on a bank, now I just get my husband to to my banking from his account.

I am hoping someone who has expertise on this matter. I think the debt is around $2000.00 and I don't think I can open a bank account? If this was my own debt I would not hesistate to pay this but is there away around this or am I stuck with this debt for life?

Thanks in advance.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well most bad debts go to collection and then jsut end up reported on your credit record as a bad debt. After 6 or 7 years, it falls off the record unless you make a payment or some agreement to pay. You should have a joint account with your husband and owing some bank money, shouldn't prevent you from having an account. Treat your finances with respect and don't allow anyone other than the joint account holder to access your money.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Gina, ask to talk to the manager before seeing an account opening officer. He or she will back you up.

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
As a banker for 32 years I have seen many people in your predicament. Because they say someone steals their bank card, they should not be responsible. I guess we should ask, if you are not responsible, then who should be. With 3 in the equation, you, your boyfriend and the bank, why should the bank be responsible. Did the bank steal the money, no, someone you authorized, by disclosure of your pin number stole the money.
Maybe what you should be doing is filing a statement of claim against the x-boyfriend and collect from him, then pay the bank. I guess it is a natural tendency for people to shuck responsibility and lay blame on someone else. I should ask, Gina, what is wrong with you paying the $2,000?
For the bank to say that you cannot open a bank account maybe a bit much, they do not have to lend you any money, by way of secured or unsecured credit, but I am not sure that they can prohibit you from opening a bank account.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They make record profits yet they cry if they miss out on a dime. Like the ad says ... you've got bankers. Is that several years over seven? Have you made any payments or accepted that you owe the money? Have you made an offer for repayment and the offer refused (and you'd have to have that one in writing or witnessed) I can understand why you don't want to charge the ex. I sort of got into the same situation where a girlfriend ran up a huge credit card debt before she went bye-bye. Yes, I was responsible for the card. They pestered, piddled me off, and got an offer for ten bucks a month. Interest? They'll negotiate. A year and a half later they got their money - without interest.

Woof!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Go to a different bank. There are several. You don't owe all of them the money, just the one. Explain your situation. People are reasonable.

Gina

Feb 13, 2008
Thank you all so much for your input. I did file a report as mentioned from the banker and what did the police do? Nothing. I am taken this to my responsiblity and a lesson learned but prior to neogotiating and paying this I just want to be sure if there are alternatives. Also I tried several banks and credit union but all refuse my application.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That's a little different. You've been to them and they are refusing. Arrange a meeting with a bank manager and explain your situation. They;ve heard it all. You aren't the first person who has gotten into hot water. Things change. Sell them on why you can be trusted now.