British Jelly Brains poll proves Britians stupider than Yankees

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

jelly brain nation: Poll shows quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth

Agence France-Presse
Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:51 EST

Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.
The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth. And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.
Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself. Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.
Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.
UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The results of diseducation that Bertrand Russell and others warned us of. Many people in the western world believe TV characters are real and actual historical people are not. Surveys like these conducted over the last two decades confirm good results for the programe of debraining the plebian masses. haha it worked, welcome to A Brave New World populated by complete morons. Take the family to Disney.

ENGLISH_TITAN

Jan 30, 2008
www.myspace.com
More than likely immigrants who participated in the survey, though it is apparent British values and education is declining to a level that will soon be on a par with both North and South America.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
More than likely immigrants who participated in the survey, though it is apparent British values and education is declining to a level that will soon be on a par with both North and South America.
The beave himself would be a prime example of that.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
time

Probably to many head injuries suffered in those footy rows you people have overthere.:p

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's nice to see cause my English "friend" is always touting their superiority. I have no idea what possessed her to move here in the first place...

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
When you consider television is written at a grade five education level and it is peoples primary source of information, then it isn't surprising that ignorance abounds. If you are educated but you don't use that knowledge it will only be retained for a few years; after that television and other questionable sources of information will begin to supplant what a person did know.

The difficulty as I see it, is that discourse has been reduced because of mediums that homogenize society hamper real intellectual debate in that they reduce what is acceptable. For example, many people feel very comfortable watching sub-par documentaries written at a low grade education level, that repeat themselves over and over again (usually between commercials the authors assume the viewers have completely forgotten even what the show was about). People will watch these shows on a particular subject and then feel they are prepared to know something about the subject despite the fact they have, in all likelihood (if they had a prior better education) reduced their understanding. That this is acceptable norm in our societies is the problem IMO.

I have talked to such "experts" and have dismissed them based on their ignorance and refused to talk to them further until they upgrade their understanding - yes, I tell them this. I do this for two reasons: I don't think it is reasonable to accept a grade five education as knowledgeable on any subject, and I refuse to cooperate with the new social norm that it is excusable. Generally I will make my opinion known as soon as someone tells me they saw something on Nova or some other trash, that today passes as intelligent and can't explain their other sources of inquiry. Is this snobbery? I think not. A stand must be taken somewhere if our society is to be saved from complete collapse!