Americans are Shrinking

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=+2]Americans are shrinking[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=+1]Height appears to be a useful measure of the well-being of a nation's citizens.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]Dateline: Sunday, January 06, 2008[/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]by Linda McQuaig [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]Many adjectives come to mind when thinking of how to describe Americans. But "short" probably isn't one of them. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]We're used to the notion of the United States as the world's dominant power — a land of untold resources, wealth and consumption. And one reflection of this abundance is the fact that for most of the past 2½ centuries, Americans have been literally the tallest people on the planet. Feeding off the abundant wild game and rich agriculture of their vast new land, colonial Americans measured a full three inches taller than Europeans. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Sans Serif]Our tight-fisted approach to meeting social needs takes its heaviest toll on the poor, but it has a huge impact on the middle class as well [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]Not so any more. Compared to Europeans, Americans have effectively shrunk. Indeed, among all advanced industrial nations, Americans are now at the bottom end of the height scale. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]And, no, it's not the influx of short Hispanics. The height pattern is the same for Americans even when the sample is limited to non-Hispanic, native-born Americans. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]It seems to be a reflection of something more basic. According to an influential paper in Social Science Quarterly last June by economic historians John Komlos and Benjamin Lauderdale, "height is indicative of how well the human organism thrives in its socioeconomic environment." [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]The relative shrinking of Americans on the world scene is perhaps then an indicator of something Americans are doing badly — not in Iraq, but right at home. And that something should be of more than passing interest to Canadians as we continue, consciously and unconsciously, to shape our economic and social systems with the US in mind. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]Actually, Canada has traditionally been a blend of the US and European approaches. But in the last couple of decades, as we have focused increasingly on cutting taxes and have adopted the attitude that individuals must make it on their own in society, we've veered more closely to the US model. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]We tend to view the low-tax, low-spending US model as simply the norm in the era of globalization. But in fact it is only the US norm. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]Europeans, particularly northern Europeans, have traditionally done things differently — imposing much higher taxes and delivering much more generous social programs that provide a striking array of benefits to every member of society. Contrary to our i[/SIZE][/FONT]http://www.straightgoods.ca/index.cfm

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
In short, Americans are stunting their growth by paying too few taxes. This is not very scientific Beaver.

Americans have not shrunk. Americans are not shorter. Some desperate leftist has pointed out that Americans are being caught up to. The same moron will then claim that Americans have shrunk in other ways, and go off on some luny tune anti-American string of jealous nonsense.

Bever, c'mon. You surely don't endorse this yellow intellectualism do you?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Linda [FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]McQuaig??? That name rings a bell in my memory. Isn't she a fine Bush basher and the author of "It's the Crude, Dude!" I read that book a few years ago.

Yup, I just googled... that's her! She also wrote ""Shooting the Hippo", which I also read.

[/SIZE][/FONT]In her latest book Holding the Bully's Coat: Canada and the US Empire (2007), McQuaig argues that Canada should reject the role of adjunct to the United States and find its own way in the world.

I just love hearing when other people have the same thinking as I do!!

Anyway, I must not stray off topic, which is the Americans are shrinking.

McQuay seems to be fairly level-headed in her previous writings, I am afraid she's lost me on this idea. I can't follow and make sense out of her train of thought.

In my family progessive generations grew taller each time!!! (german bloodline)