Bell Introduces Traffic Shaping

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
A week ago, I realized that my Internet speed has been significantly reduced a bit and my file shares has also been..jeopardized.
I thought it was my computer issue or just another Bell Thingy [I got ripped off when they dragged me to accept a contract which I had no idea of...I was young...Thankfully, my guardian took care of it...or else, we would have had such a delicate penalty...: $760 if canceled]

But it was not.
I contacted Bell's infamous Indian [no racial comment] Agency, at first, we tried to figure out what was wrong with my computer.
I said, "of course, ITS NOT MY COMPUTER!" in my head because I thoroughly investigated my computer..for about 6 days + laptop with wireless.
So I asked out of curiosity because of Comcast action in United States [Reducing/Eliminating Uploading], "Is Bell itself that's causing the problem?" The technician [foreigner/Indian] told me to chill for awhile as he went away to ask his superiors.
He came back with an expected news: Bell has imposed traffic control on Oct. 29 2007.

So...just informing everyone.
Don't expect to have downloading/uploading speed you used to have.
They did this because they wanted to "equalize" the fair share of bandwidth...
[Oh Great, Communism By Corporation]

Personal Note:
I WANT TO (@%*)*%)@(% THEM.
I paid and will continue to pay for our bandwidth, our speed, and our service.
Now they want to control that?
Just an opinion.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Now they can sell you a new upgrade. For $8.95 extra a month you can get the high speed access you used to have.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
No, this applies to all services I believe as technician said.
So, no matter how great services anyone has, they are equalized.
I am not sure because my family still uses Ultra High Speed Internet, sponsored by Bell ahem, which USED to be 7 megabits per second and unlimited bandwidth.
The price was just over $45 dollars + tax and this was 3 years ago.

Now, I learned.
Funny thing about Bell is that they do things without authorization, just like any other major corporations would do. For instance, they changed our service without a notice, increased the price of service without a notice [by $30 bucks, total, over $80], and takes cash out of the bank because of the contract that has not been made formally.

I am on verge of changing back to Cogeco and I can since our contract my family made with Bell ended 1 year ago.

Cogeco has local employee technicians (smile)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
But it was not.
I contacted Bell's infamous Indian [no racial comment] Agency, at first, we tried to figure out what was wrong with my computer.
I said, "of course, ITS NOT MY COMPUTER!" in my head because I thoroughly investigated my computer..for about 6 days + laptop with wireless.
So I asked out of curiosity because of Comcast action in United States [Reducing/Eliminating Uploading], "Is Bell itself that's causing the problem?" The technician [foreigner/Indian] told me to chill for awhile as he went away to ask his superiors.
He came back with an expected news: Bell has imposed traffic control on Oct. 29 2007.

So...just informing everyone.
Don't expect to have downloading/uploading speed you used to have.
They did this because they wanted to "equalize" the fair share of bandwidth...
[Oh Great, Communism By Corporation]

Personal Note:
I WANT TO (@%*)*%)@(% THEM.
I paid and will continue to pay for our bandwidth, our speed, and our service.
Now they want to control that?
Just an opinion.

I work for Bell and I have never heard of this. Generally speaking, CSR's haven't a clue what they are talking about. Belll does not have any sort of traffic shaping. The only limits Bell places on certain internet packages is the amount of data you download, which would be stipulated in your contract somewhere. Likely in the range of 50-75gb/month.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
"The only limits Bell places on certain internet packages is the amount of data you download, which would be stipulated in your contract somewhere."
Yes, they put limit by putting more money on the bill which we were not familiar of.

"Belll does not have any sort of traffic shaping"
He went and asked his superior, I waited couple minutes, he came back with a sheet saying when it was implemented as I asked--Oct 29.
They did this in order to equalize bandwidth among the district and I noticed that as the speed of download seem great in morning while during night, it was different story.

" Likely in the range of 50-75gb/month."
Yes, so we got unlimited bandwidth package and used Bell service for around 3 years.
It was good and amazing, we didn't complain until now--after the service & bill has been radically changed to worse.

Q: Is you're technicians located in India?
Thanks by the way 9wink9

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Q: Is you're technicians located in India?
Thanks by the way 9wink9

You will never speak to actual technician through customer service, the people you speak to are CSR's and Technical Representatives. Only a small portion of customer support is outsourced to India from my understanding.

Have you tried speaking to a supervisor?

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Thanks DurkaDurka.
That source provided me with such truth...that it IS traffic shaping.
It just came late to our district[Fort Erie]
hehe

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Thanks DurkaDurka.
That source provided me with such truth...that it IS traffic shaping.
It just came late to our district[Fort Erie]
hehe

Well, that sucks man. Honestly though; If you want fast "downloads", get a NNTP account with a company like giganews. It will cost you about $20.00/m, but you will be able to max out your connection downloading whatever your heart desires.

I had not realized that Bell was using traffic shaping appliances on their network, I'm not in the department of Bell so I am little out of date on what's happening.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, someone explain to me please, because this is the way I'm hearing and understanding this, maybe I got it wrong. I'll put my observations on how it works line by line so it's easy to correct me where I've gone wrong in my thinking.

1. The lines are only capable of transmitting a certain amount of data without slowing down excessively.

2. Everyone pays the same amount for their internet service.

3. Some people, like YoungJoonKim makes himself sound, are download fanatics, constantly file sharing and taking up bandwidth.

4. Other people, like me, use the net for reasons which use less bandwidth, but still pay the same amount.

5. Bell is traffic shaping to ensure that people like YoungJoonKim aren't slowing down other customers, through their constant file sharing, who deserve quick connection times just as much since they pay the same amount.

If I've gotten that all right, then it sounds like YJK is still paying for his bandwidth, the company is just making sure he's not hogging everyone else's too. Perhaps I've missed something though?

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Yes you did, my family pays for unlimited bandwidth.
And there is reason for such massive download...
My family still continues its strong ties to South Korean media & entertainment.
Since we can't afford that Skyline [Korean Satellite] TV and find Internet download more efficient, we pay for unlimited bandwidth which Bell "promised"

EDIT: DurkaDurka, sir, thanks again
I kinda knew that no matter how much speed I consume does not impact the rest of the district..because that's how DSL works, as I learned. That's why my family got DSL in first place. :D

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Okay, someone explain to me please, because this is the way I'm hearing and understanding this, maybe I got it wrong. I'll put my observations on how it works line by line so it's easy to correct me where I've gone wrong in my thinking.

1. The lines are only capable of transmitting a certain amount of data without slowing down excessively.

Not the case with DSL; DSL is a circuit going from your house to the DSLAM at the remote office. You are not sharing an upstream or downstream cicruit with the neighborhood. The Line speed from the home to the remote office varies from 2mbps - 16mbps-not shared. Once the connection meets at the remote office, it is piped off via bell fibre network.

2. Everyone pays the same amount for their internet service.

Nope, there are varying service plans ranging in speeds and download caps.

3. Some people, like YoungJoonKim makes himself sound, are download fanatics, constantly file sharing and taking up bandwidth.

He's not eating into anyone else's bandwidth, he's just costing Bell a minute amount of bulk bandwith charges.

4. Other people, like me, use the net for reasons which use less bandwidth, but still pay the same amount.

5. Bell is traffic shaping to ensure that people like YoungJoonKim aren't slowing down other customers, through their constant file sharing, who deserve quick connection times just as much since they pay the same amount.

If I've gotten that all right, then it sounds like YJK is still paying for his bandwidth, the company is just making sure he's not hogging everyone else's too. Perhaps I've missed something though?

Bell is prioritizing network protocol types, giving HTTP, SMTP, POP3 priority over known file sharing protocols.

see above in red italics

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks for the info guys... and YJK, I never meant to imply that you didn't have reasons to be a download fanatic. lol. We all have reasons for the things we enjoy doing.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
WEll eh :D yup

For first time in my life I'm appreciating the power which I have under this free country.
I can change my provider, find better service, and so on.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
UPDATE:
I noticed significant decrease in web serfing while P2P download pumped up to its maximum.