I want good ol' capitalism to KICK IN to provide CHeaper Internet!

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
High dollar, high value, high level of people using and using Internet..
What's the matter with the Internet service now days?

Rogers and Sympatico...all together just raised their price by $10 dollar average in all services.
5 years ago, I used Sympatico High Speed service, it was middle.
It costed us around $35 monthly.
Now, it is $49.95 and all for 2 mbps (all total 7 mbps) [megabytes per second] more than 5 years ago.
And another lower packaging cost $35.95 for some crappy speed..1 mbps.

What about Rogers?
They ain't offering any better...they are cheaper* though.
The same service they offer cost $44.95 but this is excluding tax AND rental fee of modem.

Now, I want to talk about the rental fee. I think its ridiculous because we are using their service at a cost and want us to PAY for using the system that has is required for the service?

Its like...saying..."I got you're stick, if you want it, give me 5 candies per month for you're joy [service/connect] and also, 1 extra candy for having that stick [physicalness]."

I am BAFFLED.
With the rental fee of Rogers and Bell's offering price which is so similar to another [maybe you will save 1 buck per month if you use Rogers Express connection in Toronto], there is really competitiveness as in term of...price...but more of which has more efficient connection and better service.

Believe it or not, Internet is a necessity in this new age. It is the part of the fuel for globalization and even socialization of population in Western nations. So then, why are we facing price increase when we are suppose to be receiving FREE Internet access?
Its..its like exploiting people's wealth...

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Good Ol' Capitalism dooing well in China..

the internet comes automatically with the telephone line,
the price differs across the provinces the highest being 12.7633 / month.
I have a GPS card on in my laptop ,I use it all over China
The cost......153.141 a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkbeaver

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
In Canada the infrastructure that is used to deliver most forms of internet are owned by a small number of companies. I believe the government forced the telephone companies to rent out their infrastructure to competing companies but they are still able to control the prices they rent at to a certain extent. So ISP's are not necessarily price takers.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I recently switched to Primus from Bell and I pay about 68 bucks tax included for high
speed at 7mps with local calling, unlimited longdistance within Canada and the U.S. and 9 calling features.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
I have a Cogeco digital cable/Internet bundle. The cost of the Internet is about $40 per month plus tax. That's not too shabby for three IP addresses, 10 Megabits per second of bandwidth, seven email addresses, and a 60 Gigabyte per month cap. The service is pretty reliable and I haven't much to complain about. I do get service interuptions from time to time, but they appear to be few and far between, and are usually of short duration.

If Cogeco wanted to lower their price, I wouldn't complain. If they were to raise the price though, I'd look elsewhere or downgrade to their basic internet package.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
I have Alliant/sympatico thirty bucks or so for dial up 26kbs max two nights ago mice ate a piece of thier infrastructure the line was dead till thismorning.

You pay thirty bucks a month for dialup? That explains why you can't see your spout. :roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
High dollar, high value, high level of people using and using Internet..
What's the matter with the Internet service now days?

garbage deleted

Believe it or not, Internet is a necessity in this new age. It is the part of the fuel for globalization and even socialization of population in Western nations. So then, why are we facing price increase when we are suppose to be receiving FREE Internet access?
Its..its like exploiting people's wealth...

Captitalism has nothing to do with your rant. What I hilighted in red is your real problem. You expect companies to spend the money on equipment and infrastructer, spend the money on maintaining that infrastructure, and give it all to you for free.:roll: Just like your bitch about having to rent the cable/DSL modems. You don't want to pay rental on that equipment, then buy the modem.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Captitalism has nothing to do with your rant. What I hilighted in red is your real problem. You expect companies to spend the money on equipment and infrastructer, spend the money on maintaining that infrastructure, and give it all to you for free.
Just like your bitch about having to rent the cable/DSL modems. You don't want to pay rental on that equipment, then buy the modem.
Rant? I agree, it is rant.

But garbage regarding prices?
I agree that companies do- in fact - require substantial amount of money from public to keep up with their infrastructure.
True enough, I am bi*ching thank you very much.

You expect companies to spend the money on equipment and infrastructer
Come back..and re-evaluate..
I do expect them to do "that" [Some cases, they neglect those duties..well, its corporations after all] I expect in the future that Canada will be receive better service with reasonable price* for both poor and middle. Recent increase and change of services both by Bell/ Sympatico and Rogers...seemed to me, exploitative. It becomes more confusing to me when small companies can offer cheaper price and sometimes better service, big companies are neglectant about it.

By the way.." cheaper," not "free."

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Broadband in Canada is not as bad as it is made out to be. Compared to the US, we are doing quite well price wise and bandwidth wise. If you live in large urban areas, one can easily obtain broadband connections exceeding 15-16mbps.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
one can easily obtain broadband connections exceeding 15-16mbps.
Also some with 10% of their "suggested" speed [up to]
Or maybe during the peak hours, 5% of their "suggested" speed.
Yes, compared to the U.S. [I don't know yet because I can't get the price..]
This one I article which I just researched--here you go http://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/comcast_isp_pricing.html-- holy cow!
$50 bucks [U.S.] for some 3mbps or am I just seeing some illusion?
[Remembers his old country...$30 bucks..extreme speed..same as T1...wooo...]

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Remember, you can have the fastest ADSL connection on the planet, but if the source you are downloading from is congested or has a lower peak connection speed, you will never max your connection out. Your ISP cannot guarantee any speeds outside of their network as it is out of their control.

I know with my 8mbps connection, I can easily saturate that via downloads on NNTP, which proves to me that I am getting what I pay for.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
I know with my 8mbps connection, I can easily saturate that via downloads on NNTP, which proves to me that I am getting what I pay for.

NNTP? I didn't think anyone really used UseNet anymore?

You have to remember too, that it's *bits per second, not *bytes per second. So with an 8 Megabit per second connection, the most you can expect is 1 Megabyte per second of transfer speed. But usually a little less due to overhead in the TCP/IP protocol. So somewhere between 800 and 1000 Kilobytes per second of throughput would be what you should expect at the top end for an 8 Megabit broadband connection.

Am I wrong?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
NNTP? I didn't think anyone really used UseNet anymore?

You have to remember too, that it's *bits per second, not *bytes per second. So with an 8 Megabit per second connection, the most you can expect is 1 Megabyte per second of transfer speed. But usually a little less due to overhead in the TCP/IP protocol. So somewhere between 800 and 1000 Kilobytes per second of throughput would be what you should expect at the top end for an 8 Megabit broadband connection.

Am I wrong?

NNTP is still very alive and kicking, it is by far the most efficient way to download binary files.

The TCP-IP overhead is negligible for the most part I find.

I regularly download at 750+ kilobytes/second when using NNTP... with torrents I am lucky to get 200 on a good day.