non-stick pans may retard babies' growth

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Despite my humiliating 'defeat' and abasement in this forum over Chinese coffee mugs and mercury - sorry about that - I am going to post this article - not my own thoughts!! - about Non-Stick cookware.

The studies were recently published in the prestigious journal "Environmental Health Perspectives" [not my own thoughts!]

The warnings about Teflon coatings were heard several months ago, but the iddue dropped off the radar. This is a new study/results -

Chemicals in non-stick pans may retard babies' growth
http://www.blacklistednews.com/view.asp?ID=4121
Published on Monday, August 27, 2007.
Chemicals used in non-stick pans, fast-food containers, carpets, furniture and a host of other everyday household products are retarding babies' growth and brain development, two startling new studies suggest.

babies with increased levels of the chemical in their umbilical cords were born smaller and with reduced head sizes. Though the changes were small, reductions in weight and brain development at birth have been associated with health problems throughout life.

The chemical - perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA ... [is] used in non-stick pans, fast-food containers, carpets, furniture and a host of other everyday household products

DuPont, the only US manufacturer of PFOA, has announced plans to phase it out – but not until 2015.

....[they] found the chemical in every single one of the 299 umbilical cords analysed, suggesting that every baby is born already contaminated by it

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've been slowly replacing my teflon pans as they wear out, with non-teflon. For years now it's been obvious that supporting the prodution of teflon is not good for the enviro, and thus not good for us.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
All create toxins during the manufacturing process, so in my mind there is no good teflon. To make matters worse, the chemicals that are created in the manufacturing process have an apparently infinite half life, so they never dissolve in the environment.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
All create toxins during the manufacturing process, so in my mind there is no good teflon. To make matters worse, the chemicals that are created in the manufacturing process have an apparently infinite half life, so they never dissolve in the environment.

oh boy!!! just what we need...

And to think the family Dupont got billions outta doing this....man oh man...

Last edited:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I think when your cooking a baby in a teflon pan the last thing you think about is how is this going to rertard its growth8O

Reactions: Walter

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Did I miss the article saying how much smaller the babies are? Smaller isn't necessarily a bad thing. All of the true cases of growth retardation I see at work are from smoking, drug use, poor nutrition and placental problems.