U.S. marijuana grows stronger than before

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The marijuana being sold across the United States is stronger than ever, which could explain a growing number of medical emergencies that involve the drug, government drug experts on Wednesday.
Analysis of seized samples of marijuana and hashish showed that more of the cannabis on the market is of the strongest grade, the White House and National Institute for Drug Abuse said.
They cited data from the University of Mississippi's Marijuana Potency Project showing the average levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, in the products rose from 7 percent in 2003 to 8.5 percent in 2006.
The level had risen steadily from 3.5 percent in 1988.
National Institute on Drug Abuse Director Dr. Nora Volkow fears the problem is not being taken seriously because many adults remember the marijuana of their youth as harmless.
"It's really not the same type of marijuana," Volkow said in a telephone interview.
"This could explain why there has been an increase in the number of medical emergencies involving marijuana."
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Adminstration, marijuana was involved in 242,200 visits to hospital emergency rooms in 2005. This means that the patient mentioned using marijuana and does not mean the drug directly caused the accident or condition being treated, SAMHSA says.
The number is up from 215,000 visits in 2004.
The pharmacy department at Mississippi has compiled data on 59,369 samples of cannabis, 1,225 hashish samples, and 443 hash oil samples confiscated since 1975. "The highest concentration of (THC) found in a cannabis (marijuana) sample is 33.12 percent from Oregon State Police," the report reads.
'THIS IS POT 2.0'
Hashish and hash oil concentrations are far higher, as they consist of processed plant product.
"Researchers and treatment experts have argued for some time that today's more powerful marijuana has more harmful effects on users. This report underscores that we are no longer talking about the drug of the 1960s and 1970s -- this is Pot 2.0," John Walters, director of National Drug Control Policy, said in a statement.
Volkow said demand has driven growers to cultivate the stronger stuff. "It is the market," she said. "Like in the market you favor the best tomatoes. When people buy marijuana, they don't want a weak cigarette."
Volkow's institute has been studying the effects of cannabis, whose active ingredients are very similar to important brain chemicals called endogenous cannabinoids. "It clearly is addictive," she said.
If children and adolescents use marijuana, it could affect their still-developing brains, she said.
The report said more than 60 percent of teens receiving treatment for drug abuse or dependence report marijuana as their primary drug of abuse.
"Although the overall number of young people using marijuana has declined in recent years, there is still reason for great concern, particularly since roughly 60 percent of first-time marijuana users are under 18 years old," Volkow said.
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health 4.1 million Americans, or 1.7 percent of the population, report they use marijuana.
© Reuters 2006.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"The report said more than 60 percent of teens receiving treatment for drug abuse or dependence report marijuana as their primary drug of abuse."

Yikes, the weed in all its hoary magnificence is exposed! But like with any other hottie, another study will soon emerge disputing such findings. Back and forth, back and forth, the long hypnotic swing of blissful denial.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

I guess this is the reason the Canadian government is charging a fifteen hundred percent mark-up on Canadian grown medicinal marijuana for terminal patients.

If the American government legalized marijuana then there would be no war in Afghanistan.

They can get rid of farmer subsidization because this product would be in demand.

America will never legalize marijuana because people in organized crime are taxpayers too

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
The only emergeny I have ever had with marijuana was accidentally dropping my stash into the overflowing toilet of some DIRTY dive-bar, had to think QUICK :D

Seriously, pot is just pot- I'd like to see a list of what kind of medical emergencies were caused by it cos I have seen a LOT of folks smoke it and haven't had any need to go to any sort of emergency service, and I am sure it has nothing to do with either the strength of the stuff I've seen OR some sort of "luck"

It's not for kids, it's not for everyone, but that doesn't mean that it should "enjoy" the demon-weed status currently bestowed upon it... if ya wanna be fearful of a plant, try peyote or salvia divinorum- THAT stuff can be dangerous. "Bad Pot", these days, means it's not worth the money you paid for it, the chances that someone would mix something much more expensive in with it to get folks "hooked" are so remote (not sayin impossible) it ain't funny.
it's more likely that a healthy person will win multiple consecutive lotteries than it is that a toke from a joint will land you in the ER

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Afghanistan is more about heroin. Imagine what it will be when they get into full production.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/heroin_harvest_in_afghanistan_soars.htm
"HEROIN production in Afghanistan has soared by up to 1400 per cent since the war on terror and the fall of the Taliban, a drugs conference will hear today.

The United Nations Drug Control Programme estimates the "total likely yield" of this year’s opium poppy crop will be between 1900 and 2700 metric tons, compared with 185 tons last year.

Afghanistan’s vast opium poppy harvest is said to account for 90 per cent of the highly-addictive drug sold on Britain’s streets.

The collapse of the Taliban triggered the massive rise because poppy growing was banned by the regime in July 2000, leading to a fall of 95 per cent in the size of last year’s crop. "

You would think making the cocaine leaf available would pretty much eliminate that trade and since it is in leaf form you would have to eat a lot of leaves to get the effect of one line of 'high-grade powder'.

I assume the higher thc pot is because you can make the same amount of money on a product that takes up less room to distribute, make it less of a crime and there would be no need for 'high-grade' as low grade would still serve the needs of the public. Give adults a permit for a few plants and that trade also dies down considerably. Take away the permit (and more) if the growers kids test positive.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
"The collapse of the Taliban triggered the massive rise because poppy growing was banned by the regime in July 2000, leading to a fall of 95 per cent in the size of last year’s crop."

It is things like this that make you marvel at the abilities of the outlawed crew. And looking at Iraq, one wonders at the raw power of a Hussein that all the enmity loose on Bagdhad's streets today was so methodically contained.

All our might, all our power, cannot match a totalitarian for an hour.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
which could explain a growing number of medical emergencies that involve the drug,

What medical emergencies? Marijuana itself is not harmful, the only way it could be is if someone hurt themselves some other way because they were stoned. If anything, I tend to be more careful when I'm stoned, so I have no reason to believe that marijuana increases your chances of having an accident.
It clearly is addictive

This is bull.
The report said more than 60 percent of teens receiving treatment for drug abuse or dependence report marijuana as their primary drug of abuse.

I imagine most drug addicts smoke cigarettes as well. Oh, but that's not a drug of abuse...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, no, yes, no...and on it goes. Will we ever have anything decisive accepted on this topic? It would be interesting to consider whether hard drug use would be sharply curtailed in our society if a 'soft' entry drug like marijuana didn't exist. Hmmm, would Canadian Tire sell ladders with the bottom rung missing?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
lol yeah, religion has pretty much directly killed how many people??
Why don't we ban that crap too, it's PROVEN dangerous, makes people see and think all kinda of crazy non-existent BS.
If we can ban religion, then maybe I'll be content with pot bein illegal too- pot heads don't come knock on my damn door to try and tell me about how good pot is, after all, wherea we get glassy-eyed proselytizers here pretty often, and that buigs me WAY more than catching a whiff of pot smoke while I'm out riding my bike ever will

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Yes, no, yes, no...and on it goes. Will we ever have anything decisive accepted on this topic? It would be interesting to consider whether hard drug use would be sharply curtailed in our society if a 'soft' entry drug like marijuana didn't exist.
No, I imagine it would go up. If you're curious about drugs, marijuana is the logical first stepping stone. Some people who try it will be satisfied and never try another drug. Others will go onto harder things. If marijuana wasn't around, the curious folk would have to start with something harder. I believe the amount of hard drugs used in the Netherlands is actually lower than it is here.
Hmmm, would Canadian Tire sell ladders with the bottom rung missing?

No, but if they were banned from selling ladders with the bottom rung missing, people would continue to buy ladders with the bottom rung missing and have to take an extra large first step.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It would be interesting to consider whether hard drug use would be sharply curtailed in our society if a 'soft' entry drug like marijuana didn't exist.
Just how well did making alcohol 'illegal' in the early part of the 20th century for America. People just went to the boot-leggers. How many of those who 'were supportive of the ban' had booze on their breath at some point. If I remember history correctly the patriarch of the Kennedy clan got quite rich during prohibition.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0448132/bio
"During Prohibition, Kennedy's company Somerset Importers became the exclusive U.S. agent for Gordon's Dry Gin and Dewar's Scotch. Anticipating the end of Prohibition, he assembled a large inventory of stock that he sold for a profit of millions of dollars when Prohibition was repealed in 1933. One of his partners in the deal was Franklin Delano Roosevelt's son, James Roosevelt. Kennedy invested the money from his legal liquor business in real estate, the Merchandise Mart in Chicago and Hialeah Race Track in Hialeah, Florida. However, rumors that he was a "bootlegger," involved in running illegal liquor across the Great Lakes into the U.S. from Canada in cahoots with the Bronfman family and the Mafia, have never been proven."

http://www.kennedymen.com/book/timeline.asp
"1920: Joseph P. Kennedy establishes contact with leading bootleggers and begins the illegal importation of liquor"

Seems like the pot-growers should tackle some other crops if they can 'improve the species' this much on their own. I would certainly trust their improvements over what Monsanto has done to any crop they get their fingers into.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Seems like the pot-growers should tackle some other crops if they can 'improve the species' this much on their own. I would certainly trust their improvements over what Monsanto has done to any crop they get their fingers into.
DAMN man, now THAT is forward thinking, excellent point :D

flipside

May 6, 2007
The "war" on drugs is a backasswards approach to artificially solving a social problem that barely exists. (refering to marijuana not heroin or cocaine which is manufactured)
Of course marijuana is getting better and better the government has made it the ultimate cash crop. Growers around the world are battling for the markets and I'm sure quality comes before a competitive price. When you are buying a banned or illeagal item its not like you want to shop around for a good price. I'm assuming if the product is good they pay the price, and will return for more. As the war on drugs increases so will the prices and the profits which is what "they" really want anyway.
If you are going to legitimize a war on drugs then there needs to be a war on cigarettes, alchohol, food addicts, caffine, etc etc etc... In no way do I advocate the use of drugs heck I rarely like a drink and cigarettes are disgusting, but I do know we live in a free country and a war on anything won't work.

edjamacation my friends edjamacation..

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Hell, the war on freedom and the war on peace seem to be workin out pretty good tho- maybe they could adapt some of the techniques to go after marihuana??

And where IS all this mega-powerful weed anyways?? There's been some below average stuff hereabouts for a couple of weeks- makes me think thisstory is not based on any sort of real facts eh