Canadian Do Not Call List?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I think I remember hearing something about a do not call list, where if a telemarketer calls and you tell them not to call you, they are not allowed to keep calling. Is this true? Or is it only in the U.S.? What happens if they keep calling you?

I am a customer of FIDO (big mistake) pay as you go, so I pay 30 cents for every minute that I talk. I have been receiving telemarketing calls from them. I told them politely to stop, but they continued. So, I told them again to stop (not quite as politely) and for a while they stopped, but now I am still getting calls. This seems to me like quite the scam, they call me knowing that I have to pay for the call and they make money off of me for their telemarketing calls. I know that telling them again to quit calling me is probably not going to work since it hasn't worked so far. The only other option I can think of is changing phone companies, which is something I am definitely considering, however my phone cost me $50 and if I use another phone service I will probably have to buy a new phone. Has anyone had this type of experience before? How do I get them to stop hassling me?

Thanks.

...oh and I forgot to mention this has been going on more or less a daily basis, sometimes more than one call per day while I am away at work, and they leave messages on my voice mail.

Last edited:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
get caller ID and stop answering the calls.

That's what I do, but they leave messages on my answering machine. If I want to check my other messages I have to sit through their telemarketing messages first.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
When I was with Rogers they always said there was no airtime when they called to telemarket.
Now with Telus they only call once a year to see if I'm happy.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
I think I remember hearing something about a do not call list, where if a telemarketer calls and you tell them not to call you, they are not allowed to keep calling. Is this true? Or is it only in the U.S.? What happens if they keep calling you?

I am a customer of FIDO (big mistake) pay as you go, so I pay 30 cents for every minute that I talk. I have been receiving telemarketing calls from them. I told them politely to stop, but they continued. So, I told them again to stop (not quite as politely) and for a while they stopped, but now I am still getting calls. This seems to me like quite the scam, they call me knowing that I have to pay for the call and they make money off of me for their telemarketing calls. I know that telling them again to quit calling me is probably not going to work since it hasn't worked so far. The only other option I can think of is changing phone companies, which is something I am definitely considering, however my phone cost me $50 and if I use another phone service I will probably have to buy a new phone. Has anyone had this type of experience before? How do I get them to stop hassling me?

Thanks.

...oh and I forgot to mention this has been going on more or less a daily basis, sometimes more than one call per day while I am away at work, and they leave messages on my voice mail.

my mom had this place calling for a litle bit but she told them to take her off her list and i understand that the law says they have to respect your wishes...in canada. now they dont call anymore.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
They're constantly calling work, asking for the owner, by the long version of his name. These aren't your run of the mill telemarketers either, they're aggressive. They won't tell me why they're calling , only where they're calling from. If they'd only realize that's what gives them away. Poor bastards. Everyones gotta make a buck, though.

Who here has worked as a telemarketer, even for one day? Me, two hours.:lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have a phone called the TeleZapper. It used to work real well, I never got any calls from telemarketers. Now I get them occasionally, but only seldom is there actually a connection when I pick up. Now, I never answer any 1-877 numbers.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec

Thanks.

Here it is call DO NOT CONTACT

Viviand

Mar 15, 2007
That's not one of those lists where you send them all your information because you want to have your name removed from the list but in actuality they just acquire more information from you and bug you even more?