Marijuana, the wonder drug

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts: A new study in the journal Neurology is being hailed as unassailable proof that marijuana is a valuable medicine. It is a sad commentary on the state of modern medicine that we still need "proof" of something that medicine has known for 5,000 years.
The study, from the University of California at San Francisco, found that smoked marijuana was effective at relieving the extreme pain of a debilitating condition known as peripheral neuropathy.
It was a study of HIV patients, but a similar type of pain caused by damage to nerves afflicts people with many other illnesses including diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
Neuropathic pain is notoriously resistant to treatment with conventional pain drugs. Even powerful and addictive narcotics like morphine and OxyContin often provide little relief. This study leaves no doubt that marijuana can safely ease this type of pain.
As all marijuana research in the United States must be, the new study was conducted with government-supplied marijuana of notoriously poor quality. So it probably underestimated the potential benefit.
This is all good news, but it should not be news at all. In the 40-odd years I have been studying the medicinal uses of marijuana, I have learned that the recorded history of this medicine goes back to ancient times.
In the 19th century it became a well-established Western medicine whose versatility and safety were unquestioned. From 1840 to 1900, American and European medical journals published over 100 papers on the therapeutic uses of marijuana, also known as cannabis.
Our knowledge has advanced greatly over the years. Scientists have identified over 60 unique constituents in marijuana, called cannabinoids, and we have learned much about how they work. We have also learned that our own bodies produce similar chemicals, called endocannabinoids.
The mountain of accumulated anecdotal evidence that pointed the way to the present and other clinical studies also strongly suggests there are a number of other devastating disorders and symptoms for which marijuana has been used for centuries.
They deserve the same careful, methodologically sound research.
While few such studies have so far been completed, all have lent weight to what medicine already knew but had largely forgotten or ignored: Marijuana is effective at relieving nausea and vomiting, spasticity, appetite loss, certain types of pain and other debilitating symptoms. And it is extraordinarily safe — safer than most medicines prescribed every day.
If marijuana were a new discovery rather than a well-known substance carrying cultural and political baggage, it would be hailed as a wonder drug.
The pharmaceutical industry is scrambling to isolate cannabinoids and synthesize analogs and to package them in non-smokable forms. In time, companies will almost certainly come up with products and delivery systems that are more useful and less expensive than herbal marijuana.
However, the analogs they have produced so far are more expensive than herbal marijuana, and none has shown any improvement over the plant nature gave us to take orally or to smoke.
We live in an antismoking environment. But as a method of delivering certain medicinal compounds, smoking marijuana has some real advantages: The effect is almost instantaneous, allowing the patient to fine-tune his or her dose to get the needed relief without intoxication.
Smoked marijuana has never been demonstrated to have serious pulmonary consequences, but in any case the technology to inhale these cannabinoids without smoking marijuana already exists as vaporizers that allow for smoke-free inhalation.
Hopefully the UCSF study will add to the pressure on the U.S. government to rethink its irrational ban on the medicinal use of marijuana — and its destructive attacks on patients and caregivers in states that have chosen to allow such use.
Rather than admit they have been mistaken all these years, federal officials can cite "important new data" and start revamping outdated and destructive policies.
Such legislation would bring much-needed relief to millions suffering from cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis, arthritis and other debilitating illnesses.
Lester Grinspoon, an emeritus professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, is the coauthor of "Marijuana, the Forbidden Medicine." This article first appeared in The Boston Globe.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/03/01/opinion/edgrinspoon.php

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
For many years there have been article after article which prove that cannabis is the oldest and most effective medicine in human history. What a shame that the pharmceutical companies have lobbied so strongly and successfully to take it off the market. Were it up to me, cannabis would be legal.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Of course one will feel less pain. It's called getting stoned.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
DurkaDurka said:
Gopher,
Does a Marijuana possesion charge end someone up in jail in Minnesota?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Earlier Governor Jessie "the Body" Ventura said he was legalize cannabis if he could.

To which I say a resounding, AMEN!

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
Well if you can't smoke cigarettes I don't want anyone smoking dope for whatever reason.
so what're sayin' is you'd prefer to go thru alzheimers?

Marijuana may help 'stave off' Alzheimer's

New research into Alzheimer's disease suggests the active ingredient of marijuana may help "stave off" the disease, as Reuters puts it.
Specifically, scientists at the Scripps Research Institute in California discovered that delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can prevent breakdown of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine - a process which leads to progressive "memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills".
THC is also, the team found, "more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients". Its report is published in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/06/alzheimers_research/

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Why? Erratic driving is erratic driving. Cops can and do hand out temporary suspensions, haul people in for the breathalyzer (sure they could get a similar rig for pot users' breath), etc.

chemically, the breathalyser wouldn't work the same as for ethanol. but you're correct about erratice driving.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
wonder which is worse
eratic driving or speeding
I smoked some pretty good weed once when i was younger. and drove my car a bit over 400 klms
I thort i was driving fine
turns out i was doing 35 in a 50 zone...thort i was moving lolweed desnt cause the problems alcahol does.....weed is a mellower as apposed to booze which is a stimulant

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
wonder which is worse
eratic driving or speeding
I smoked some pretty good weed once when i was younger. and drove my car a bit over 400 klms
I thort i was driving fine
turns out i was doing 35 in a 50 zone...thort i was moving lolweed desnt cause the problems alcahol does.....weed is a mellower as apposed to booze which is a stimulant

true that weed is definately not as dangerous as alcohol in a driving situation. I think it's still dangerous though. reaction times are affected

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it's not that. But you can be stoned for much longer than it'd be detectable on your breath, and if u tested anything else it'd be detectable for months after you stopped being stoned. I may be wrong but the levels of THC on the breath aren't likely to be as well-connected to the levels in the bloodstream as with alcohol.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006

I like the roadside test ,lol,I don't smoke but see nothing wrong with its medicinal ,relaxation uses ,instead of anti depressants people can go home after a long day at work and smoke herbs to decompress,-comparing it to alcohol the pot wins hands down

UK cops are testing for "drugged drivers" despite studies which show stoners drive safely.
UK cops are persisting in introducing a series of roadside tests for stoned drivers, despite a study released by the UK Transport Research Laboratory in August 2000, which found that pot-smoking has a minimal if not beneficial effect on driving performance.

The government-funded study was launched under pressure from anti-drug and driving groups, and was an embarassment to the British Ministers who had expected it to support their anti-stoned-driving campaigns.

The British study confirmed the results of a wide variety of research into stoned driving from around the world:

A 1983 study by the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) used stoned drivers on simulators, and concluded that the only statistically significant effect associated with marijuana use was slower driving.

A comprehensive 1992 study by the NHTSA found that marijuana is rarely involved in driving accidents, except when combined with alcohol. It concluded that "the THC-only drivers had an [accident] responsibility rate below that of the drug free driversS While the difference was not statistically significant, there was no indication that cannabis by itself was a cause of fatal crashes." This study was buried for six years and not released until 1998.

Another NHTSA study performed in 1993 dosed Dutch drivers with THC and tested them on real Dutch roads. It concluded that "THC's adverse effects on driving performance appear relatively small."

A massive 1998 study by the University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia analyzed blood samples from 2,500 accidents, and found that drivers with cannabis in their system were actually slightly less likely to cause accidents than those without.

A University of Toronto study released in March 1999 found that moderate pot users typically refrained from passing cars and drove at a more consistent speed than non-users.

An important consideration when considering the effects of cannabis and driving is whether the smoker is an experienced user. Novice tokers typically experience more difficulty driving than regular users.

The British study also found that tiredness caused 10% of all fatal accidents, compared with 6% for alcohol.

Roadside testing

Despite these many conclusive results, UK cops are promoting their new roadside tests for "drugged drivers."

Drivers being tested for stonedness must estimate the passage of 30 seconds, walk a straight line while watching their feet, have their pupils examined for dilation or constriction, and finally be forced to stand on one leg with their head tilted back, eyes shut, arms extended, and touch their nose three times with each hand. (This last one is not easy even for the very sober - try it.) Perhaps most importantly, officers are instructed to pay attention for "herb-like smells" during the tests.

Those who fail any aspect of the test must provide a blood sample for drug testing. Failing or refusing the blood sample brings a conviction for "drugged driving."

British police bragged they would be able to test 20,000 drivers each year, leading to a 10-fold increase in arrests and charges.

Media stories on the UK driving study:
UK Times: Cannabis May Make You A Safer Driver www.mapinc.org/newscc/v00/n1161/a02.html
Ottawa Citizen: Researchers Say Pot Makes Drivers Safer www.mapinc.org/newscc/v00/n1209/a07.html

Media stories on the UK drugged driving roadside test:
Reuters: British Police Plan New Drug Tests For Drivers www.mapinc.org/newscc/v00/n1105/a12.html
Irish Independent: Drug Test Drivers To Walk The Line www.mapinc.org/newscc/v00/n1108/a04.html

1983 National Highway Transportation Safety Administration study: Stein, AC et al., A Simulator Study of the Combined Effects of Alcohol and Marijuana on Driving Behavior-Phase II, Washington DC: Department of Transportation (1983)

1992 National Highway Transportation Safety Administration study: The Incidence and Role of Drugs in Fatally Injured Drivers, by K.W. Terhune, et al. of the Calspan Corp. Accident Research Group in Buffalo, NY (Report # DOT-HS-808-065) www.drugsense.org/tfy/nhtsa1.htm

1993 National Highway Transportation Safety Administration study: Marijuana and actual Driving Performance, By Hindrik WJ Robbe and James F O'Hanlon. Institute for Human Psychopharmacology, University of Limburg www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/mjdrive.htm

1998 University of Adelaide and Transport South Australia study: www.netaxs.com/~sparky/policy/highway.htm

1999 University of Toronto Study: http://newsandevents.utoronto.ca/bin/19990329a.asp

For a better way to test people for impairment, read this: www.pdxnorml.org/performa.html

For a 1986 Australian study comparing alcohol and marijuana, go here: www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/mjdriv1.htm

For a UK Department of Transport report on Cannabis and Driving: http://www.dft.gov.uk/roads/roadsafety/research98/road/3b.htm

Another good reference for marijuana and driving: www.mapinc.org/pdxnorml/Exposing_12_1095.html

For a more amusing look at the combination of drugs and driving, go here: www.techno.de/mixmag/interviews/Driving_on_drugs.html