Mobile phones boost brain tumor risk

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
Mobile phones boost brain tumor risk by up to 270% on side of brain where phone is held
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]'The study, done by a collection of researchers from many universities and led by Anna Lahkola of the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority in Finland, found firm corollary evidence that using a cell phone causes the risk of getting a brain tumor called a glioma to rise by 40 to 270 percent on the side of the head preferred for using the phone.' [/FONT]
http://www.newstarget.com/021634.html#conventional

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Mobile phones boost brain tumor risk by up to 270% on side of brain where phone is held
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]'The study, done by a collection of researchers from many universities and led by Anna Lahkola of the Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority in Finland, found firm corollary evidence that using a cell phone causes the risk of getting a brain tumor called a glioma to rise by 40 to 270 percent on the side of the head preferred for using the phone.' [/FONT]

A neurologist once told me that when looking at MRI brain scans, it is possible to tell which side of the head a person holds their cell phones. I suppose it's best to reserve their use for emergencies.

nettoffee

Nov 2, 2006
Cakgary, AB
Please Ariadne remove the real name of Bob from you replay in "comming to Canada" wich I thank you very much on it he moght be in danger because this is his real name as fast as you can

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Most habitual cellphone users will die prematurely. It's unfortunate but it's the price of expediency and convenience. We're willing to pay it.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My husband wore a headset for extended periods during his work....

He died of a glioblastoma. This isn't freaky science.... as we found out far too late

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, you're right. And we are facing an epidemic in the future. Looks like public health care is set for another big hit. And yet what's to be done? The issue is known but little is done about it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Considering the fact that our brain uses chemically generated electric signals and cellphones use electric signals as well (only with much stronger signals), it isn't hard to imagine that holding the two in close proximity would interfere with function of the weaker one, ergo, electrochemical imbalances. Ever fooled around with electrolosis? It changes stuff.
I think I'm pretty safe, I dislike phones of any kind.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well in my husband's case the proof was already delivered....

Whether the study "proved" anything about cell phones I don't know - my husband's headset wasn't a cell phone and probably had more power than a regular cell phone would require.... still after the
team got together they concluded that is what caused the tumor - it was Stage IV when it presented as a problem, and he died within nine days - glioblastomas are rapid killers.

If cell phones have the potential to cause brain tumor of whatever magnitude I hope the manufacturers can find a way to prevent this from happening ....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I just read Dexter's excellent link to the other side of the argument. I seems there is evidence on both sides. I don't want anyone to have a brain tumour but I have to admit to less than charitable thoughts when following some person in morning traffic who has a cell phone attached to his/her head. I don't care what anyone says, cell phones are an impairment to good driving.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
I just read Dexter's excellent link to the other side of the argument. I seems there is evidence on both sides. I don't want anyone to have a brain tumour but I have to admit to less than charitable thoughts when following some person in morning traffic who has a cell phone attached to his/her head. I don't care what anyone says, cell phones are an impairment to good driving.

take note of the number of police that use cells while driving...also, take note of the number that use their computors while driving...which one is more distracting?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well in my husband's case the proof was already delivered....

I'm so sorry to hear you lost yourhusband so quickly and unexpectedly Curiosity. My mom lost one of her highschool friends in the same way. She was a realtor, in the earliest days of cell phone tech, when they were much more powerful and hazardous. She was on her cell for probably 2 hours a day, and once they found the tumor in her brain, right behind her ear, she passed away very quickly. The docs never pulled any punches about it... cell phone use caused it. My mom still doesn't own a cell phone because of it.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

The funny thing is that the scientists conclude the exact opposite of what the news articles says they do. Check it out yourself: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114072761/ABSTRACT

Conclusion from the abstract:
``Although our results overall do not indicate an increased risk of glioma in relation to mobile phone use, the possible risk in the most heavily exposed part of the brain with long-term use needs to be explored further before firm conclusions can be drawn.``

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks for your kind words Karrie...

My husband's headset covered both ears but the tumor was located on one side - perhaps a more prone to tumor side? I don't know. Someone wrote here that people may be more susceptible than others to reaction to electronic devices.... still I am wary of using my cell phone on one side only and switch when I am on for a while.

I rarely stay on more than five minutes anyway...because I really don't like phones.... regular or cell...
unless someone is calling long distance...then I have to give in to their wishes for length of time. I rarely give anyone my cell phone number except those who know I don't like to talk for an extended time on it... and usually just pack it around in case of emergency... (or being late for something).

Your mom's friend probably had a weakness too....I think down the line we'll be discovering many things about all of our gadgets so we should treat them as rapid and accessible, not for lengthy use.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The funny thing is that the scientists conclude the exact opposite of what the news articles says they do. Check it out yourself: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114072761/ABSTRACT

Conclusion from the abstract:
``Although our results overall do not indicate an increased risk of glioma in relation to mobile phone use, the possible risk in the most heavily exposed part of the brain with long-term use needs to be explored further before firm conclusions can be drawn.``

I've seen a lot of conflicting studies on the issue. One study summed up its findings in that cell phone use doesn't increase the risk that you'll GET a tumor, but it increases the chance of it forming in the spot indicatvie of a cell phone. *shrugs* either way, it's a pretty avoidable risk for many people. Seems worth avoiding massive exposure just to be on the safe side.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I rarely stay on more than five minutes anyway...because I really don't like phones.... regular or cell...
unless someone is calling long distance...then I have to give in to their wishes for length of time. I rarely give anyone my cell phone number except those who know I don't like to talk for an extended time on it... and usually just pack it around in case of emergency... (or being late for something).

Your mom's friend probably had a weakness too....I think down the line we'll be discovering many things about all of our gadgets so we should treat them as rapid and accessible, not for lengthy use.

I find I treat my cell phone much the same way... I only use it for brief times, to let people know where I'm at, when I'll arrive, that sort of thing. Having kids and living out of town, I needed one, no ifs ands or buts. I live in a river valley, and the road to my home is such that if I were to 'hit the ditch', in most spots, it would be a drop of around 50 vertical feet, sometimes more, before my vehicle would come to a final stop. You can't count on a passerby to get in touch with emergency crews for you on this road. Gotta have a phone. And, nowadays, if your kids are in school, you are expected to be reachable at all times, no excuses.