Royal Bank: Charging for withdrawals! At RBC ATMs and RBC banks!

Are you unhappy with the current ATM fee situation?

• Total voters

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am so infuriated with RBC rate now.

They are now charging $2 per windrawal at ATM machines, for whatever amount. And this is at there own personal RBC ATMs WITH a RBC client card.

They charge double that $4 to withdraw from a teller inside the bank!

Supposedly they sent out a notice, which I did not get. So I had $100 worth of ATM charges. I went to my local branch and got in a talk with the manager. He reversed the charges and cut my future withdrawal fees to 50cents at the ATM and 1dollar in the bank.

I like the people who run my local branch, but this corporation has pushed me to the limit.

Next month, I am pulling out my savings and chequings and going to go to another bank. CIBC or TD...

So first of all, if you go to a competing bank's ATM you get charged, so people go to their personal bank ATMs and now they are charging.

As much as I hate Layton and the NDP, I am all behind him on his fight against ATM fees.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I am so infuriated with RBC rate now.

They are now charging $2 per windrawal at ATM machines, for whatever amount. And this is at there own personal RBC ATMs WITH a RBC client card.

They charge double that $4 to withdraw from a teller inside the bank!

Supposedly they sent out a notice, which I did not get. So I had $100 worth of ATM charges. I went to my local branch and got in a talk with the manager. He reversed the charges and cut my future withdrawal fees to 50cents at the ATM and 1dollar in the bank.
s.

Please do not be offended at what I am about to write. Also, do not for a second think I disagree with you. However, I've noticed that just about every post of yours involves someone or something you are against, be it the Bank, the Liberals, the Church, whatever. I wonder, have you considered the possibility that the issues are self-inflicted?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Personally, I don't care about ATM fees. The bank provides a service, ie, a banking machine. If you choose to use it, you pay for it. Why is this a problem?

Why is the world full of people who don't do the research, and then complain that they have to pay for something? There are banks that charge you a flat monthly fee and let you have unlimited ATM withdrawls. If that's what you want, go find one. Don't whine about how you want a service, but don't want to pay for it.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I agree and understand about paying a fee at a competing bank's ATM. But I already pay fees to RBC, as a RBC client, with my savings, chequeings, Credit line, morgatge, and Visa, I give them all my finachial business, all of it, and they are dinging this fee on me? It costs money in the bank or at a ATM now, so it costs money for me to take money, out of the bank I keep my money, and the bank I pay countless of thousands of dollars to in various fees.

Am I being over the top? I don't think so.

And I am not going to dignify sanctus with an answer to his insult.

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
Personally, I don't care about ATM fees. The bank provides a service, ie, a banking machine. If you choose to use it, you pay for it. Why is this a problem?

Why is the world full of people who don't do the research, and then complain that they have to pay for something? There are banks that charge you a flat monthly fee and let you have unlimited ATM withdrawls. If that's what you want, go find one. Don't whine about how you want a service, but don't want to pay for it.

Very true. Some people expect the banks to have free everything. They forget that these are businesses like any other. If one banks fees don't satisfy, find a cheaper one.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ten Penny is the only 1 who sees no prob. with the current ATM fees.

Once again, if I pay a fee to go to an ATM at a competing bank, I don't see a problem. I rather find a near-by ATM, then go out of the way to go to a home-bank ATM.

But, in a grocery store, if you a buy one of their products, do they charge you for serving it to you?
In Fast Food Restaurants
Gas Stations

When people ring up a purchase, do they add $1 for ringing it up for you?

This requires very little work. ATMs are self-sustained, and it takes a swipe of a card, to withdraw money from a teller.

So, I don't think I should be forced to be served a service. I pay a monthly fee to RBC as a member, but I don't think I need to be forced to pay to be served.

Period.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ten Penny is the only 1 who sees no prob. with the current ATM fees.

Once again, if I pay a fee to go to an ATM at a competing bank, I don't see a problem. I rather find a near-by ATM, then go out of the way to go to a home-bank ATM.

But, in a grocery store, if you a buy one of their products, do they charge you for serving it to you?
In Fast Food Restaurants
Gas Stations

When people ring up a purchase, do they add $1 for ringing it up for you?

This requires very little work. ATMs are self-sustained, and it takes a swipe of a card, to withdraw money from a teller.

So, I don't think I should be forced to be served a service. I pay a monthly fee to RBC as a member, but I don't think I need to be forced to pay to be served.

Period.

Big big difference between an ATM and a debit machine, if that's what you're talking about, if not, all the ATM's I've seen that don't belong to a bank require fees too. I don't get charged a fee when I go to a TD machine, it's part of my monthly fee schedule.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Then why would you say in the poll that: YES, you are unhappy with the current ATM fee situation.

Then in the thread reply, saying No, I am not unhappy with the current ATM fee situation.

Explain this, interested... This is like rawisbetter! Saying he is against abortion, but argueing the other side.

Edit: I pay a monthly fee to RBC, but now for me using my home bank they want to charge me more for withdrawals. But, hey, strangly is I put money in, no charge. So now, I should pay the unlimited service fee of $20, how fair is that, when I already use their bank and pay them a fee.

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
Then why would you say in the poll that: YES, you are unhappy with the current ATM fee situation.

Then in the thread reply, saying No, I am not unhappy with the current ATM fee situation.

Explain this, interested... This is like rawisbetter! Saying he is against abortion, but argueing the other side.

Oh, my mistake, clicked the wrong button and could not retract it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I agree and understand about paying a fee at a competing bank's ATM. But I already pay fees to RBC, as a RBC client, with my savings, chequeings, Credit line, morgatge, and Visa, I give them all my finachial business, all of it, and they are dinging this fee on me? It costs money in the bank or at a ATM now, so it costs money for me to take money, out of the bank I keep my money, and the bank I pay countless of thousands of dollars to in various fees.

Am I being over the top? I don't think so.

And I am not going to dignify sanctus with an answer to his insult.

Then the solution is simple. You go to your bank, ask to see the manager, point out what a good customer you are, and get them to give you a package where you don't pay fees. That's what you do, you don't misinterpret people you don't know on an internet thread.

Stop whining, and go see your banker.

If you pay thousands in fees, then you're not a very good money manager. Aside from interest, you should be paying maybe $12. a month in fees.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Can you post a link to this fee policy? My sister-in-law works for RBC and she is unaware of this.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I meant interest on the thousands of fees.

I pay something like 10-15 bucks per month for being a client.

I did a little checking:

$2 per withdrawal at ATM
$2 per withdrawal at local branch

No charge if you put $$ in.

I guess, I feel if I go to my personal bank, there should be no fees.

But I would be happier if they put a fixed % on the withdrawal, not a $2 thing.

I sometimes just pull out $20 bucks from the ATM. Thats a rip off if I take 20 bucks out and pay 2 dollars for doing that. I don't like to take out huge sums of money at a time.

So, I guess, I would be most happy if their is no fees at home-bank. But if thats the trend, I want a fixed %, not a $2 for all withdrawals.

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
I meant interest on the thousands of fees.

I pay something like 10-15 bucks per month for being a client.

I did a little checking:

$2 per withdrawal at ATM
$2 per withdrawal at local branch

No charge if you put $$ in.

I guess, I feel if I go to my personal bank, there should be no fees.

But I would be happier if they put a fixed % on the withdrawal, not a $2 thing.

I sometimes just pull out $20 bucks from the ATM. Thats a rip off if I take 20 bucks out and pay 2 dollars for doing that. I don't like to take out huge sums of money at a time.

So, I guess, I would be most happy if their is no fees at home-bank. But if thats the trend, I want a fixed %, not a $2 for all withdrawals.

Change banks if you're not happy.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am going to change banks, thats in Post #1, I am shopping around..

This is 'Consumer Awareness'

I am making others aware of theses fees, and we are allowed to discuss them.

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
There are some very good comments above and as an X-Banker I would suggest that you do what the people are suggesting and more. Go see the manager of your bank, get the explanation in writing and at the same time, get the phone numbers of the regional/area manager. If you have like the $400, out that day, in cash. Make his job a little bit difficult. Leave about $10 in your account, and then deposit the same amount that afternoon. Then take it our again, deposit it again. Make his life very miserable, phone and get appointments with him to withdraw money, every time you need the $50 or $100 for spending money. If they want to charge you the $4. for in-house withdrawals, make him work for it. Don’t take no for an answer, get on the phone and yell at the regional/area manager, leave a message, make him accountable too. Mention to everyone that you talk to in the bank, talk loud, that you are not happy with the service charges of $2.00 at a Royal Bank machine. Tell the tellers or manager that you want to deal elsewhere. Tell them there is ING bank out there, also lots of Credit Unions that are not a greedy.
But having said this, we should wonder why they NEED to charge you for withdrawals, if you have a chequeing plan with them. Their financial statement says that they only earned $148.02, Net Profit, per second, every second of the year. I would suggest that they did not NEED the increase in fees, they WANTED the increase. After all, if they were not able to increase their bottom line, how could they justify the increase of salary for the CEO, of millions of dollars. That type of income makes you think that most people know a PIMP like that.
The best way to combat the fees is to make an appointment with your bank manager, and only the bank manager and then tell him that you are closing your account and why. If each Royal Bank manager got 1,000 requests for an appointment for each day, the dick-head that is the boss would get the message very quickly. Of course, if you cannot get an appointment to see him, ask to see the regional/area manager, then the provincial manager, then the CEO. Ask for their names and phone numbers, cells preferably, so you can phone them after normal hours. After all, they phone you after normal business hours.
I think that if enough people phone the Royal bank’s office in one day, like say the 14,000,000, they claim are customers, phoned to complain, making sure that each and everyone asks for the CEO’s phone number, home if they say he is busy, so you can each phone at night, after hours. Get the phone number of all of the people in the bank, the regional/area managers and we know they all have voice mail (lord knows they will not answer the phone anyway) and leave a long message that you do not like the new service charges. Plug their voice mail with messages. Make sure you ask them to phone back, for an appointment to see you. Phone again if they have not gotten back within 1 day.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
But having said this, we should wonder why they NEED to charge you for withdrawals, if you have a chequeing plan with them. Their financial statement says that they only earned $148.02, Net Profit, per second, every second of the year.
What does "need" have to do with anything? Do you "need" to make the income you do? No, you could live cheaper. So I guess you're saying that Jack Layton should start a campaign to reduce your personal income.

I deal with a bank where I pay a monthly fee, they're excellent people to deal with, and I pay no fees for using one of the big 5 networks. I pay no fees for in-branch withdrawls.

If you don't like RBC's policies, switch banks. Don't try to make the federal government create new rules for no good reason.

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
Need has to do with the ability to continue to earn profits. Want has to do with the ability to show the people that they can earn even more money, called greed.
One thing that I forgot to mention is that everyone that is not satified with the extra service charges, email them 10, 20, 100 times a day. And yes, close out the accounts in droves at the Royal Bank. Maybe the guy that thought of this one will not be working for RBC anymore.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Need has to do with the ability to continue to earn profits. Want has to do with the ability to show the people that they can earn even more money, called greed.
One thing that I forgot to mention is that everyone that is not satified with the extra service charges, email them 10, 20, 100 times a day. And yes, close out the accounts in droves at the Royal Bank. Maybe the guy that thought of this one will not be working for RBC anymore.

Can you show me a link to their policy of charging everyone $2 for ATM withdrawals at RBC machines? I have a relative who works there that isn't familiar with this policy and would like to know more about it.