Fabreeze and Cancer

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
FABREZE YOURSELF!

Don't get that crap on me!!

Fabreeze this and that, spray your children's clothes so they can get a date? Wow, this is foolish stuff momma.

Fabreze, like all the artificially scented crap out there, is made up of 20+ cancer-causing chemicals. Of course it is petrochemically based - most useless and unneeded stuff is cuz it is cheapest to use those chemicals rather than gather plants for their scent.

Anyone want the list?
http://www.newstarget.com/002693.html
"23 cancer causing chemicals in scented products and dryer sheets"

idiots buy this crap and spray it on me - I got a headache from it yesterday, maybe the start of a brain tumour [ya ya, I hear the jokes now, lol].

GO FABREEZE YOURSELF

Karlin
[ angry karlin spewing vile critisizms of ya'll foolish enough to follow advertising].

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yep Karlin nasty stuff that Fabreeze, it also rots the fabric you spray it on. Nasty nasty stuff.

Mr.Roboto

Ballroom dancing champion
Nov 24, 2006
Quebec City
I would not be suprised if all those chemical sprays and detergents had some relation with the surge of asma (is that how its written?) in our youth.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I was reading a study a while back on how toxic some of the chemicals are in home cleaning products, but the public isn't informed on which products are the most harmful to children. If fact the government has gone out of it's way by not funding any studies, I wonder why. The only two cleaning products in my house are Baking Soda and Vinegar. I wonder how toxic those gel candles are? Nasty stuff.:pukeright:

Mr.Roboto

Ballroom dancing champion
Nov 24, 2006
Quebec City
I saw a show once where a familly with kids having some serious respiratory problems remedied to most of their problems by just getting those chemical products out of the house. Nasty stuff indeed.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Please - No Fabreeze!!!!!

Thank-You for those replies - I didn't expect anything but "you stupid lefty", so this 100% support is really great.

I had not thought of the effect of FaBreeze on the clothes, but yes it would degrade the fibres!! You guys are great, made my day.

Most people get angry and abusive when faced with truths they don't like. I guess that people are starting to realise that these chemicals are really there and actually harmfull.

The reason our governments refuse to do anything to control them and protect people from the chemicals is that various corporations have been lobbying hard about the cost of 'not using those chemicals in their products', but all they really need is a level playing field so that competition won't be able to produce a cheaper product. There must be a way to live life without having to use deadly chemicals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again, and "please do not fabreeze"
- and tell your friends that when they fabreeze, it gets on YOU too, so please stop.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Having a hubby with asthma, children with eczema, and myself having fibromyalgia (often thought to be caused by chemical overload in our enviro), I've never understood why people would spray perfumes and chemicals all over their house instead of CLEANING it. which makes more sense? Especially given that a dousing in baking soda and a good vacuuming will often do a better job than Febreeze for fabrics that can't be washed.

I did however find an air freshener that I LOVE, and have been letting everyone know about.... LimeMate.... pure lime extract in a spray can. It kicks butt, and there are also Orange and Lemon as well. For a quick freshening that isn't chemical based and doesn't smell like perfume, it's awesome.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
agreed

Spraying stuff all over the house is not going to help. and one of my pet hates is when someone says something "smells clean" If it's clean, unless it has it's own odour, it DOESN'T smell! There have been reports of some kids getting so upset about their own smell, their "BO" which, when new isnt a bad smell, (ok when it's old and rotten it's nasty but that's called being dirty and not washing), that they have died from solvent inhalation.

another thing on the same topic: fruity shampoos. It's almost impossible to find a shampoo without a fragrance in it. Why does my hair have to smell of passionfruit and mangos anyway??? why the hell does anyone want fruit in their hair? ask someone to rub a grapefruit on their head and see what their reaction is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
agreed

Spraying stuff all over the house is not going to help. and one of my pet hates is when someone says something "smells clean" If it's clean, unless it has it's own odour, it DOESN'T smell! There have been reports of some kids getting so upset about their own smell, their "BO" which, when new isnt a bad smell, (ok when it's old and rotten it's nasty but that's called being dirty and not washing), that they have died from solvent inhalation.

another thing on the same topic: fruity shampoos. It's almost impossible to find a shampoo without a fragrance in it. Why does my hair have to smell of passionfruit and mangos anyway??? why the hell does anyone want fruit in their hair? ask someone to rub a grapefruit on their head and see what their reaction is.

That's my big thing... i want no smell, except my cooking! And spraying something to cover up dirt smell just makes the house smell like cat's ass and flowers. It doesn't *help*. If I have bad onion smell, or just stangant winter air, I'll spray a bit of lime, but not to try to cover up, say, the smell of musty rug, or dirty bathroom.

If you want scent free products, start checking out some of the great health stores around the city... it's easy to find scent free shampoos, or at the very least, ones naturally scented with herbs instead. Personally, I hate when my hubby has to use my shampoo. If I wanted to cuddle up to flowery smelling hair, I wouldn't be with a man! Shopper's Drug Mart has a couple different lines of men's hair products, but it's still chemical based perfumes.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
That's my big thing... i want no smell, except my cooking! And spraying something to cover up dirt smell just makes the house smell like cat's ass and flowers. It doesn't *help*. If I have bad onion smell, or just stangant winter air, I'll spray a bit of lime, but not to try to cover up, say, the smell of musty rug, or dirty bathroom.

If you want scent free products, start checking out some of the great health stores around the city... it's easy to find scent free shampoos, or at the very least, ones naturally scented with herbs instead. Personally, I hate when my hubby has to use my shampoo. If I wanted to cuddle up to flowery smelling hair, I wouldn't be with a man! Shopper's Drug Mart has a couple different lines of men's hair products, but it's still chemical based perfumes.

can tell youre not a female...sheesh:)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
can tell youre not a female...sheesh:)

Because I like a clean house, not one with perfumes sprayed over dirt?

Or because I want my man to smell like a man....

I'm confused as to which one of these makes me, karrie, obviously not a female. Liking a clean house or liking men who smell like men?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it's my wife who really needs the scent free stuff because she's allergic to most fragrances. I just prefer it because ive studied organic chemistry and i know that most of the crap they pour into these products havent been tested properly and i know that most innocuous looking molecule can cause horrible damage.

we know where to get the stuff but even so, our local health food shop has a massive range of shampoos, ONE of which is fragrance free. hard to believe eh? ONE out of hundreds

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Because I like a clean house, not one with perfumes sprayed over dirt?

Or because I want my man to smell like a man....

I'm confused as to which one of these makes me, karrie, obviously not a female. Liking a clean house or liking men who smell like men?

no, not you, i thought that herman guy was talking about smells and things. mustve got confused. hey sorry, long day here:)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
no, not you, i thought that herman guy was talking about smells and things. mustve got confused. hey sorry, long day here:)

LOL okay, I was totally confused because you quoted my post. I get it... these things alway happen in forums. It just threw me! *LOL*

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
LOL okay, I was totally confused because you quoted my post. I get it... these things alway happen in forums. It just threw me! *LOL*

i know. well you know how much allot of us like our hair products. maybe not you but since youre female you know how important this stuff is to allot of us girls.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
i know. well you know how much allot of us like our hair products. maybe not you but since youre female you know how important this stuff is to allot of us girls.

Most of the women I know would KILL for a scent free line of quality products. That way, when they apply their signature scent (whichever your fave scent is, mine is a combination of cassia bark and vanilla oils), you can smell what they want you to smell, rather than Clairol or Pantene's generic scent.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
silly statement. Doesnt matter how "important" it is to you. the things that make it "smell nice" are often carcinogens, often toxic, and often even untested. And the most dangerous kinds of chemical (for the populous as a whole) are those that don't have an immediate effect, but work when u come into contact with them every day for years.

If you really badly need your hair to smell of fruit you'd be better off using the fruit itself rather than some weird ester designed by a chemist

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
it's Hermann btw.

I had wondered about that.... is his name Hermann Trude?.... or is it Herman N Trude, with n being a middle name, or Herman 'n Trude, as in Herman, and his wife Trude? I was about to ask, but, you answered it for me.

At least this was a justifiable mistake... I had one person in that religious argument thread address me as kerry.... like I'm too dumb to spell, or is it that they're too dumb to read? I always tend to feel a mistake that bad is an intentional slight.