Protecting personal information at Canadian retailers

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa

The other day I went to Sport Mart and bought some sunglasses. When I went to pay, they asked for my telephone number. Why do they want my number? I told them I wouldn’t give it to them. Is this how telemarketers get your number?
My girlfriend is trying to get internet from Rogers now. They asked for her SIN number! Why do these companies demand personal information?

gearheaded1

Never stop questioning
Oct 21, 2006
Alberta
Bouncing credit cards.

Weirdness. I think the phone number is so they can call to harass you if your transaction doesn't get completed correctly. For the SIN, that's a new one on me. It's funny how few people ask "why" however, isn't it. Like livestock.

If you like cheap entertainment, make cow noises when you're in a big slow moving line-up with a bunch of people. Usually there will be a few that appreciate the humour, and will "moo" too.

Moo.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Gonzo most businesses want you telephone number so they can keep an account of your transactions, I make up a number rather than argue with them. Regarding the SIN number, I can only think of one reason for Rodgers to ask this question a "Credit Check". Do not let your girl friend give out her SIN and have her ask the Cable Company if they are running a Credit Check- because they have to-by law- inform her they are doing a Credit Check.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Gonzo when I was working as a leasing agent the leasing application had a section that asked for bank accounts and one for credit card numbers. I could not believe people gave this information out, it's not a requirement to rent an apartment and frankly it's unexceptable to ask for this information. Some companies will push for as much info that they can get in the event a client goes into arrears.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The other day I went to Sport Mart and bought some sunglasses. When I went to pay, they asked for my telephone number. Why do they want my number? I told them I wouldn’t give it to them. Is this how telemarketers get your number?
My girlfriend is trying to get internet from Rogers now. They asked for her SIN number! Why do these companies demand personal information?

They justify by saying it verifies your identify, when in fact it is one more indicator of our overall lack of privacy in this modern age. So many places expect us to hand out the most personal info as if it was their right to know everything about us.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Want to hear something real crazy? My brother and I have had a SIN since we were very young. Our parents set up a trust fund to help pay for our education. It turned out they didn't have to pay as much taxes or something once it was in our names. Anyways, two years ago, my brother gets his tax return back and they have some questions about his identity. Turns out that somehow his date of birth got changed. He calls up to try to clear up the matter, and when his birth date doesn't match the one they have, they wouldn't tell him anything. It took him a week of phone calls and BS before the matter got fixed. To his credit he refused to back down, and finally found someone high up enough to switch the date back. All through this they maintained it was somehow his fault until the last person he talked to had some common sense. Unbelievable...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
A friend called me recently with a question regarding the privacy of his telephone number.

His listing in the telephone directory is the same as mine insofar as neither he nor I pay for an unpublished number nor do we have anything beyond a basic telepone service.

He was shocked to find out hat a local grocery store had his telephone number on their system when he was returning an item for a friend. He had the receipt for the item and ID and everything else and when they asked him for his ID they entered his name in the computer and his home address information appeared on the screen....

He was suprised at this event because he'd never been in that particular store ever before...

It was the same information of course as available through the telephone companies printed and electronic listings.

I simply advised my friend of the ease with which information is available to anyone with sufficient time and skills, and to simply accept that the world continues to shrink....

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Thats how telemarketers get your number and call you. When I get a long distance ring and a pause before someone asks for "Mr Gonzo" I hang up. There's no point in arguing with them. The guy on the other end gets $10 an hour and has to go through a list of things to say to keep you on the phone. You're doing him a favour too by hanging up because there is a supervisor listening in and if the marketer doesn't go through proper procedure he'll get in trouble. I know this because a friend of mine had the unfortunate experience of working there for a week before he decided not to show up anymore.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re Phone Marketers

Start a conversation with the caller asking if they know a good Bankruptcy Attorney as they were in "big biz" and probably know a reliable one...

It is against the law to be asked for SS numbers in the US unless you are applying for certain financial
transactions. A marketer has no rights to your number, your address, nada...... make sure you tell them
you are keeping their name so you can report them if they call you again after you have just told them
Do Not Call Again....

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Thanks Curiosity...

Are those rules/regs applicable in Canada?

Pretty much. For example, we are not required by law to give anyone our SIN numbers for any reason. Which is why, for example, on credit card applications it is listed as "optional". We can also opt out of telemarketer lists. If you are called you can ask them to remove your name from their lists and by law they are required to do so.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
There is. Check here:

The Canadian Marketing Assocation Do Not Contact Service.
http://www.the-cma.org/consumer/donotcontact.cfm

BTW, I've had people ask me for my phone number when buying stuff. I usually just give them my cell phone number as that changes every 3 years or so. However, I have not had one telemarking call on it since I got it and I've handed it out many times at stores. Hence, I think they just do it for tracking purposes.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
I find for telemarketors all you have to do is tell them when they call that your number is a business phone number (white lie) they will not call back. It has worked for me for years. As for SIN I don't give it out to anyone. No business of any kind needs that info.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I have a GREAT idea for those who hate to get junk mail as often happens when retailers get your personal information: here's how to end all such junk mailings -- return the envelope to the sender and put in very large print DECEASED.

Guarantee: it works every time!