New Clean Car Using Air

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.theaircar.com/howitworks.html

On the CBS News early edition....

I saw a report on a father and son team in France who have invented and perfected a little car which actually runs on compressed air.... it is explained in the link above. Google has a few more links to
the information - I've posted only one.

Apparently you drive into the "air station" and fill er up with more air when required. It runs for 120 miles (I don't know the km thing but the specs above will probably have that)... and it is approximately $2.00 to refill the compressor.

Clean air - clean motor - oh ya the lady driver Sheila McVicar (a Canadian working in the U.S. for CBS) said it sounds a bit like a lawnmower. Having never driven a lawnmore (I've always pushed mine).... I can't tell if she was right or not.

They will be ready in a year or two for mass marketing.

It is a big on the ugly side but it is a prototype which should look ugly so people will take them seriously I guess. It looks a bit like a larger, rounded edge golf cart.... but quite clean and neat inside. The do not accelerate beyond 65 MPH thus avoiding many deaths in the future of fast cars.....

Don't know if they will ever be integrated on the same roads as gas guzzlers - it would probably take a whole city/region to adopt the rules - and then no doubt a family would have to use a regular gas guzzler for longer journies.

Still......there is hope!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I wonder if the Oil Industry will allow this tecnology to make it to market? It would be great if it does.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sassy....

Their people have probably already purchased many of the necessary patents and equipment for manufacture -

I hope the father and son have some excellent legal people looking out for their interests. They are going to be run through the "corporate" mill no doubt.

Still - I love the idea of any vehice on the road unable to travel faster than 65 top....excepting of course emergency
and enforcement vehicles.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
http://www.theaircar.com/

Welcome to the future!

After twelve years of reserch and development, Guy Negre has developed an engine that could become one of the biggest technological advances of this century. Its application to CAT vehicles gives them significant economical and environmental advantages. With the incorporation of bi-energy (compressed air + fuel) the CAT Vehicles have increased their driving range to close to 2000 km with zero pollution in cities and considerably reduced pollution outside urban areas.
As well, the application of the MDI engine in other areas, outside the automotive sector, opens a multitude of possibilities in nautical fields, co-generation, auxiliary engines, electric generators groups, etc. Compressed air is a new viable form of power that allows the accumulation and transport of energy. MDI is very close to initiating the production of a series of engines and vehicles. The company is financed by the sale of manufacturing licences and patents all over the world.

A 2000 km range would make it better than anything out there.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wow this is great news, what worries me is that I've read articles like this before and boom nothing is ever mentioned again. I've seen documentries regarding the Oil Industry crushing any tecnology that may effect their industry and they don't play fair at tall. It really opened my eyes to how ruthless and lacking in morals and ethics this industry is. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this product reaches the market.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sassy

This one's been "outed" and it's something the people want - if the prices aren't so sky high they can't afford the product - which has always been a turn off for the poor regular folk....

I'll bet the orders will take years to complete.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is real demand for these products now. I don't think the oil industry can stop it. In the next three years, BMW and Honda will be releasing models which run on Hydrogen. Shell has allready recognized this and is in partnership with BMW to produce the fuel using solar power and water. The Honda comes with its own generator. You can make your own hydrogen, and supply your house with hydrogen, as long as you have a natural gas hook-up.

That MDI air car is great. I don't need a car right now. I can get around on bicycle power. When I do finally need one, if ever, I'll be getting something which doesn't run on long dead plants and animals.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What impresses me is the range. 2000 km would be Vancouver to Calgary and back and some left over without refueling. I'm convinced, where do I sign?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'd love one of those puppies, just not yellow or green. A nice candy apple red for moi, or a jag green or a porche black.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One small negative. Don't let your air car get hit by a big Ford F-350 pick up. On the other hand that is likely good advice for most cars.