Credit Unions and your rights.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Credit unions are not like banks. Firstly, credit unions do not have customers or clients, not in the sense that a bank would have customers or clients. Credit unions have members, which own shares in the credit union, and are, essentially, the owners of the credit union.

Credit unions are formed based on a bond of association. Usually, this bond of association is a commonality that joins people by employment, membership in an organization such as labour union, or just the mere fact that people live in a particular community.

The credit union that I had belonged to, had as its initial bond of association, the fact that its members were employed by Polymer (Polysar) Corporation, or a relative of a person employed at Polysar. Hence the name Polysar Employee's Credit Union.

Over time, the credit union grew, and consequently, the bond of association grew. As the credit union merged with other credit unions, the bond of association, or the membership entitlement restrictions, grew to include an even broader range of people.

Anyway, there are many reasons for choosing a credit union for your financial needs as opposed to a bank. Some of these reasons include the fact that credit unions generally offer a better interest rate on deposits, and charge a lesser interest rate on loans than do other financial institutions. Credit unions also charge fewer service fees and provide more free services than a conventional bank or trust company.

One of the most compelling reasons to belong to a credit union, as opposed to a bank or trust company, is that membership entitles members to certain legislated rights. Among these legislated rights, is the fact that a credit union does not get the right to refuse service to whomever they please. A credit union cannot merely toss you out of the credit union on a whim. There is a legal process that a credit union must follow in order to expell a member and the member is entitled to appeal both to the board of directors and to the general membership.

There are exceptions however. Occasionally you will run into a credit union that is controlled by a power other than the membership. These rogue credit unions break the law and act according to the whims of a select few, in stark defiance of the bylaws, laws, and the general membership. Lambton Financial Credit Union is one such credit union.

I currently have a complaint before the Financial Services Commission of Ontario that alleges that Lambton Financial Credit Union contravened section 47 of the Credit Unions and Caisses Populaires Act.

Section 47 of the Credit Unions and Caisses Populaires Act defines the process and grounds for which a credit union may expell a member. The grounds on which a credit union may expell a member are very clearly defined, and the rights of the member are also firmly established.

The law requires that a credit union only expell a member by resolution of the board of directors. And that this resolution be made at a meeting duely called for this purpose.

Second, the law requires that a credit union provide a written notice to the member at least ten days prior to the commencement of such a meeting.

The law requires that a member be permitted to make submissions to the board on his own behalf, and to explain why he/she should not be expelled.

If the credit union chooses to expell the member, and passes a resolution expelling the member, the credit union must send written notice of the expulsion to the member, by registered letter mail, within five days of the board meeting resolving to expell him/her.

The expelled member then has the right to appeal the expulsion to the general membership at the next general meeting of the members. The members may, by majority vote, elect to stay the expulsion decision of the board, or set the resolution aside. The decision of the members is final and binding.

Any expulsion of a member by a credit union without prior written notice is not valid, and the expelled member may complain to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario.

Any expulsion of a member by a credit union that does not allow the member to appear before the board expelling him/her, is also not valid and you may complain to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario.

People choose credit unions over banks and trust companies for a reason. One of these reasons is the rights afforded the members by the legislation of the province. Credit unions would do themselves a great service by remembering that they do not own the members, the members own them.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Actually, I just reread it and it's not really that good. But that's not really the point. It's a necessary piece in my pursuit of justice -- I have a rich bastard to flush down the toilet.

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Oh, I see. You guys gotta be creative.

Well, it might not seem a good, because it's your own work. Usually we don't appreciate our own work. But your writing is what the instructors keep us telling. A very nice writing in English, I wish I could write like this. Well organized, developped, concluded, that's what I try to do.

For me, to write an essay similar to the one you wrote takes couple of days. But so far I have not succeded to write something good. My grades show that. :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Just to clarify one point, loan and mortgage rates at Credit Unions are generally higher than banks. Their costs to lend are higher.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Credit Unions and your rights.

dekhqonbacha said:
Oh, I see. You guys gotta be creative.

Well, it might not seem a good, because it's your own work. Usually we don't appreciate our own work. But your writing is what the instructors keep us telling. A very nice writing in English, I wish I could write like this. Well organized, developped, concluded, that's what I try to do.

For me, to write an essay similar to the one you wrote takes couple of days. But so far I have not succeded to write something good. My grades show that. :)

Instructors? Grades?

I'm assuming that you're a high school student, correct? If so, my writing is not very good at all. As you progress through high school and continue on to post-secondary education, you will understand what I mean.

By the way, I am a high school dropout, and I strongly encourage you to complete high school.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org

Kreskin said:
Just to clarify one point, loan and mortgage rates at Credit Unions are generally higher than banks. Their costs to lend are higher.

Quite right. My error and I'm totally willing to accept that I have made an error.

Although, I will say that credit unions do offer loan interest rebates... Something that banks and trust companies do not.

Toro

Senate Member

Simpleton said:
Kreskin said:

Quite right. My error and I'm totally willing to accept that I have made an error.

Although, I will say that credit unions do offer loan interest rebates... Something that banks and trust companies do not.

In America, credit unions have lower rates because they do not have the same capital requirements as banks.

That's why I'm part of a credit union.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Finder said:
always thought about joining a credit union as I am not at all a fan of the banks. But really I don't know enough about them

I prefer credit unions to banks and trust companies. I've been a member of a credit union since I was a wee lad. Well, I was a member of a credit union since I was a wee lad; the credit union booted be out on my butt in February of this year. Something about a recently discovered unpaid debt, yada, yada, yada.

If you're curious, it took the credit union five years to discover that I owed them six hundred bucks. Funny thing about the whole fiasco, is that they wrote the debt off in September of 2000. In October 2000, they issued me a loan interest rebate on the debt that they had written off. I have continued to use the account since that time, and the credit union has never mentioned to me that I had an outstanding debt to them.

Then, suddenly, and without warning, the happy-go-lucky twits at the Lambton Financial Credit Union closed my account. They didn't even have the courtesy to tell me that they had closed my account or the reason for them closing my account. I had to get bitchy with them in order to find out that they had closed the account due to an outstanding debt.

Anyway, that's why I have a complaint before the Financial Services Commission of Ontario. The law requires them to do the things that I listed in the original post.

They're just a bunch of fascist wingnuts at the Lambton Financial Credit Union -- poor management, incompetent employees, and total disregard for the members and the law.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Simpleton said:
Finder said:
always thought about joining a credit union as I am not at all a fan of the banks. But really I don't know enough about them

I prefer credit unions to banks and trust companies. I've been a member of a credit union since I was a wee lad. Well, I was a member of a credit union since I was a wee lad; the credit union booted be out on my butt in February of this year. Something about a recently discovered unpaid debt, yada, yada, yada.

If you're curious, it took the credit union five years to discover that I owed them six hundred bucks. Funny thing about the whole fiasco, is that they wrote the debt off in September of 2000. In October 2000, they issued me a loan interest rebate on the debt that they had written off. I have continued to use the account since that time, and the credit union has never mentioned to me that I had an outstanding debt to them.

Then, suddenly, and without warning, the happy-go-lucky twits at the Lambton Financial Credit Union closed my account. They didn't even have the courtesy to tell me that they had closed my account or the reason for them closing my account. I had to get bitchy with them in order to find out that they had closed the account due to an outstanding debt.

Anyway, that's why I have a complaint before the Financial Services Commission of Ontario. The law requires them to do the things that I listed in the original post.

They're just a bunch of fascist wingnuts at the Lambton Financial Credit Union -- poor management, incompetent employees, and total disregard for the members and the law.

Aside from that they're ok?

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Kreskin said:
Simpleton said:
Finder said:

Aside from that they're ok?

Yes, I think credit unions are great places to do your financial business. My experience has shown that credit unions are generally friendlier than banks, and usually more willing to help you out without all of the runaround and hoop-jumping that we've come to expect from the big banks.

Like any other sort of business, there are good credit unions and there are bad credit unions. You'll have to shop around if you're wanting to find a good credit union to do business with.

Also, deposits in a credit union carry the same CDIC protections as you would find in a Canadian bank or trust company. So there's no need to worry that you're putting your money into a "fly-by-night" operation.