zip.ca a big disappointment now

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Does anybody know of a great Canadian online DVD source?

We've been with zip.ca for a long while now, and while it has been good up until recently, it took a sudden turn for the worse when they decided to start slapping a surcharge on any DVD over a certain number each month, effectively eliminating any advantage they once had. This was done without advance notice. They have slacked off on good customer service as well.

So, I am looking for another online DVD source, and it isn't easy since zip.ca has bought up half the competition.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I think not said:
Ya, I guess so, sorry about that.

No worries, let's face it, if I'm going to choose a handle like that then people are bound to make the assumption. The name is one that my dad used to use a lot when I was a kid. It always made me laugh, so there you have it.

It makes one wonder (and makes one go off-topic, it seems) why we all use aliases instead of our own names on forums.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
My name is Jo. It means 'absolutely perfect in every sense of the word'. :lol: Not really. Why, I have people who would swear on oath that it means 'the biggest damn pain in the butt ever'.

Edited by request. Cosmo

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
My name means "YAHWEH is gracious". or "God is gracious"

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
RE: zip.ca a big disappoi

a few of my friends have recommended www.canflix.com to me in light of zip.ca serious increase in suckitude - i haven't started my trial yet, but i got a sneak peek at the web-interface and it's much nicer (more similar to vhqonline.ca before zip bought them)

there's also a trial extension coupon floating around on one of those canadian coupon sites.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Well, Canflix looks good, and they passed my main test, which is, do they have Keeping Up Appearances with Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet, of course). They do!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
That's a great site, you're right, everybody is furious about zip's move. I had come close to quitting previously because of the farce they call the zip refill, a hit and miss deal if e'er there was one. This latest is the last straw, and it is great to know about the general dissatisfaction when emailing them to cancel.

What made you unhappy with their service, fubbleskag?

I haven't found the guy who's starting a new one from scratch, but I'd be interested in it. Better yet, I'd like to find one that is here in BC. There used to be one on Vancouver Island, but I think they were absorbed by one of the others (not zip).

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ok Haggis, I hope you're happy, you made me look into Netflix with your query and signed up with them yesterday, I got my first movie in this afternoon already 8O $10 a month, to watch any movie I want, beats the premium cable channels.

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
Re: RE: zip.ca a big disappointment now

Haggis McBagpipe said:
What made you unhappy with their service, fubbleskag?
i left them initially because of poor delivery times and possibly the worst web interface i've ever had the displeasure of using (and i've used some nasty stuff). i switched to vhqonline.ca and was very happy - apparently so was everyone else, and zip.ca knew it. when my account was migrated back to zip.ca after the purchase there was a meltdown, and the only reason i didn't cancel right then & there was a very quick response to my complaint that involved two free months of service. since then my delivery times have improved, but the web interface has only gotten worse, as has their reliability for getting me the correct movies (i'm not sure how this can be difficult and why it's suddenly changed, but i keep getting stuff that is not on my list and now hae two claims for movies that they claim to have shipped me but i have not received).

Haggis McBagpipe said:
I haven't found the guy who's starting a new one from scratch...
http://onlinedvdrentalguide.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=705

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Thanks fubbleskag, I've had about the same problems with zip.ca

Whenever I've contacted 'customer service' and my, don't I use that term loosely, I get either a) no response, or b) the runaround, usually complete with the assertation that NOBODY else has had a problem, it's JUST ME.

I hate that.