Health Implications of Junkfood and Kids

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
http://www.truthout.org/issues_05/120705HA.shtml

The evidence does show advertising causes children to eat more high-calorie foods and that television viewing in general is linked to weight problems for children and teens.

The new report by the National Academy of Sciences is considered the most authoritative review to date of how junk-food ads and marketing threaten the health of young children.

To help reverse that influence, the report recommends that food companies stop targeting kids with "spokes-characters," such as SpongeBob SquarePants and Barbie dolls, to promote foods high in calories and low in nutrients.
-end quotes-

K- the rest is about USA law, they might make it illegal to show these ads. Good idea.

But for every kid who watches TV, there is NO WAY to NOT get hungry. The ads, and even the shows content sometimes, puts pictures of delicious looking foods, and people eating it. Its simple stuff to see that creates "hunger-by-suggestion".

What, you think thats hokus pokus?

Its not. You get hungry when you think of:
"the McD burger ads showing the side of the burger".

Admit it, you are salivating right now!!!

Ok, sorry to do that to you. But our kids are FAT. And the TV and bilboards and everywhere, these unhealthy foods are attractive enough to get us to go for it. Its an addiction like any other, we cannot stop ourselves despite better judgement or knowledge. "I know, but I WAAAAANT it" And we do it.

Heck, have you noticed that it feels good to just pay for the stuff, right? The whole thing is "brainwashing deluxe, super size your profits". Drugs, Sugar, Pharmaceuticals, - chemical addictions all the same, just some are corporate and others illegal.

Not Phat, just FAT. Sorry again kid, but ya gott realise its not healthy. It will likely premise your adult weight too. Diabetis type 2 is from junk foods, and 'easy' calories from sugar. We have to work at calories, digest proteins and vegetable matter.

One more time, its so right:
Drugs, Sugar, Pharmaceuticals, - chemical addictions all the same, just some are corporate and others illegal.

NickFun

Electoral Member
RE: Scientists: Stop Serv

When I was a kid there were just as many junk food ads on TV as there are today. The difference is, kids were getting out and running, playing ball and exercising all the time. They were not propped up in front of the video game console.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: RE: Scientists: Stop Serv

NickFun said:
When I was a kid there were just as many junk food ads on TV as there are today. The difference is, kids were getting out and running, playing ball and exercising all the time. They were not propped up in front of the video game console.

Ya, I guess thats it. Sorry to bother you.

BONK!!

We had vending machines with colas in our school in the 1970s, but we took lunch or ate at home [small town].
Eating McD every day for lunch isn't good. The meat is substandard [60% of the patty comes from "old dairy cows"] , the bun is pure crap [white flour] and the tomatoes and lettuce are soaked in bad chemicals.

Add in vending machines with candy bars and chips, and you've got a real learning problem, behavioral problems too. BUT THATS OKAY, WE CAN GIVE THEM RITILIN.

How could you do that to anyone, much less gullable children? Don't take this the wrong way - "You despise me." [the wrong way would be to assume I have an iota of respect for that opinion you parroted].

Don't you pay any honour to your kids digestive systems? A gift of nature, it works amazingly well, until we mess it up with this junk.

60% of middle aged North Americans have bowel disease in some stage of development.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
RE: Scientists: Stop Serving Junk-Food Ads to Kids

karlin, in case you missed this point: kids have parents.

It is the parents' responsibility to raise their children. Don't blame all of society's woes on TV. At some point, the parents have to teach their kids what's right. My kids would eat crap from McD's every day if they could; but guess what: we don't let them. It's not healthy. And we're the adults here.

Take some responsibility for yourself and your dependents. And stop expecting the world to do your job. Pharmaceuticals are important, but can be abused. So can fire. Stop treating every single thing available in modern life as a scary conspiracy, and start learning to think for yourself and use moderation. That's what the wrinkly grey lump inside your skull is for.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004

NickFun said:
Karlin where do you get thhis figure of 60%? That's news to me!

"60% of the patty is old dairy cow" :
Actually, I just remembered it, its a figure I've kept in my head for years now and its never been accurately disputed, until I found the link below that says its actually 40%.[see "Jackpot!"]. I stand corrected but my point is valid.

For sure, thats what they do with the old dairy cows is make them into fast-food patty's , of that I am certain, as I come from cow country. Did you think they threw them out?

quote:
When her milk production wanes, she is sent to slaughter, most likely to be ground up into fast food burgers.(17)
http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/MILKNATR.HTM
[last line in main body].

---

JACKPOT!!! best link -
The congressional General Accounting Office has warned of the potential human health hazards from the consumption of milk or flesh (about 40% of the beef used to make hamburgers come from "old" dairy cows) derived from BGH-treated cows

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.c... ..." [url]http://tuberose.com/Fast_Food.html
[/url]http://tinyurl.com/amou7

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

[quote="Karlin]

60% of middle aged North Americans have bowel disease in some stage of development.[/quote]

That's a great statistic. Where did you get it, statistics r us?

"some stage of development" means what exactly? It means nothing, that's what it means.

Knoss

Nominee Member
Feb 18, 2006
Rockglen, Saskatchewan
Re: Scientists: Stop Serving Junk-Food Ads to Kids

"60% of the patty is old dairy cow" :
Actually, I just remembered it, its a figure I've kept in my head for years now and its never been accurately disputed, until I found the link below that says its actually 40%.[see "Jackpot!"]. I stand corrected but my point is valid.

D1 & D2 cows are best used for hamburger, the meat is often quite lean, though not always and it is of resonable quality.

I agree that the bun should be whole wheat, use fresh lettice, (green rather then iceburg) and tomato, but they really need to have better portions 100g bun, 100g lettic, 100g burger, tomato. If the buns were made in two pieces with a curved inner surface the burger would look the same.

KevunKevun

Feb 22, 2007
Don't blame the junk food

If we extrapolate our ideas far enough, then fair enough, bring in the bowel arguement. Junk food is bad; hence the name junk food, but it does not deserve all the blame! I eat junk food like crazy, from instant noodles to deep fried chips. I eat lots of rice and bread but never whole wheat. I am confident to say that I am healthier than people who eat properly too all due to the fact that I exercise! People blame the rising numbers of obesity on junk food, but does anyone consider how much money their family spends on video games, movies, "idle" entertainment activities, computer games, etc. If anything is to blame, it's not the junk food!

KevunKevun

Feb 22, 2007
Junk food

I should also mention, I regularly eat fast food, especially McDonalds', limited to once a week. I am still no where close to being unhealthy.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

It is the parents' responsibility to raise their children. Don't blame all of society's woes on TV. At some point, the parents have to teach their kids what's right. My kids would eat crap from McD's every day if they could; but guess what: we don't let them. It's not healthy. And we're the adults here.

Take some responsibility for yourself and your dependents. And stop expecting the world to do your job. Pharmaceuticals are important, but can be abused. So can fire. Stop treating every single thing available in modern life as a scary conspiracy, and start learning to think for yourself and use moderation. That's what the wrinkly grey lump inside your skull is for.

EXACTLY!!!! What the hell is wrong with parents anyway that they are allowing their children to dictate eating habits. Same in my house, my two would happily eat McDonalds and Burger King daily, but I do not allow it. End of story here.

Viviand

Mar 15, 2007
Originally Posted by TenPenny

That's exactly it!

People need to start taking responsiblity for their own actions. There seems to be someone else to blame for everything that goes wrong in our own lives.