Grocers need enforecment of anti-conglomeration

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
The small grocery store is under seige from the large corporate grocers. The "free-market and consumer demand" forces that protect and serve consumers are wiped out due to this tactic.

If the small health-conscious grocers want to carry certain products, Western Family representatives come to the store and tell the owner:
" You cannot have ANY of our products, and you will only get the best 'wholesale' price from us if you :
1]display like we tell you,
2] DON'T sell that, DO sell this {usually the non-patentables and the homemade and the natural and the health-food stuff is what they want out].

UNpasterurised milk, for one, is taboo - not for health reasons, but because Western Family reps say "get it out or we will blacklist your store". [Still he sells it, he risks the consequences because he wants to get it to the courts] Why the demand this is odd, it it something about consumers catching on to the benefits of real milk, the kind the majors don't make as much profits from.

Facts aside, the point is that grocers are being told what to do, and they are forced to do it. This ain't freedom, it is CORPORATISM, and we don't get to vote about it.

There are several ploys and tactics used by the major suppliers. the effect is to drive out small producers, producers of natural foods, or organics that they[the big boys] don't supply.

It amounts to economic blackmail.
It keeps products that people would benefit from, or at least CHOOSE , being kept from us or their prices go skyhigh.
When you go to a small food store and see the prices are 50% higher than at IGA or Safeway for an item, it is likely because the grocer doesn't get the discounts offered to the stores that restrict their product line.

I can't explain it as well as my friendly local grocer did for me., but what is going on now amounts to comglomeration practises. There were laws made up in the 1950's called "anti-conglomeration", meant to keep this "loss of freedoms", the right to compete evenly, out of the food distribution business.

Demand choice!!!
Karlin [for pm]