Europe backs major chemicals law - Canada reamains toxic

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4444550.stm

the vote gave Europe the "strongest protection in the world" from dangerous chemicals. Big Business put up a huge fight, which indicates their concerns over health harms from their products.

Canada has not enacted any such protection for its citizens, even as cancer rates double and triple over recent decades, with a strong link to toxins used by industry and in consumer goods.

Chemicals put on the market have not had to be checked for their effects on health and the environment. The onus has been on public health authorities in individual countries to test those they suspect may be dangerous. These new laws puts the burden of proof, and a "duty of care", on business, where it must be.

The European Parliament also voted for improved labelling of products made with chemicals thought to be harmful. Canadians have absolutely no idea what toxic harms are in their everyday purchases.

Will we contuinue to let coporate culture rule us? to take both our wealth and our health?
Lets follow the European lead and enact 'some same legistlation' , eh? {Some SANE legistlation.}{ Some sayin' legistlate change.}

Karlin

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Karlin said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4444550.stm

Canada has not enacted any such protection for its citizens, even as cancer rates double and triple over recent decades, with a strong link to toxins used by industry and in consumer goods.

Lets follow the European lead and enact 'some same legistlation' , eh? {Some SANE legistlation.}{ Some sayin' legistlate change.}

Karlin

Answer - under NAFTA corporations can sue our government for passing laws that restrict trade. Remember 3 years ago when a company that produced a gasoline additive proven a cancer causing agent successfully sued Canada ($27,000,000?) and got to continue poisoning us?

With the ruling in the softwood lumber dispute and the U.S. resistence to comply, Canada is in the position of having that clause taken out of NAFTA as a recognized retalitory measure, thus protecting Canadian health. Why has Martin not acted to do so???

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Europe backs major ch

Because his boats get a lot of business hauling for those companies that support Ethyl Corp? I haven't checked...just a guess.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Answer - under NAFTA corporations can sue our government for passing laws that restrict trade. Remember 3 years ago when a company that produced a gasoline additive proven a cancer causing agent successfully sued Canada ($27,000,000?) and got to continue poisoning us? "

That additive is there to help, not hinder. To pull that additive from gas would be like putting over half a million cars on the road. I thought it was only harmful if you were exposed to large quantities of it. (I suspect this has something to do with them wining the case)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Bullshit, Jay. MMT is something that several US states had already banned and some auto companies, including GM, said caused premature engine wear.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Hmmm...I wonder if I'm thinking of some other aditive. I may have my wires crossed. I will look into it.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
when our government forfeited our sovereign right to protect the health of its citizens in favour of the self-interest of foreign corporations by signing NAFTA, I believe it also forfeited its mandate to govern.

Now they put genetically modified products into our food supply without warning labels, irradiate our food, ignore environmental pollution controls in simple-minded responses to limited threats such as West Nile virus, and take no recourse in protecting our population from contaminant materials in products. More and more Health Canada acts as shills for big Pharma and there is no prosecution for falsified test results from big Pharma labs. We should take note of European concerns and allign our interests toward that market.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

We should be moving closer to Europe, Pete. We should also be working with developing nations a lot more. Africa and South America represent huge possibilities and they love dealing with middle powers who treat them fairly.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
under NAFTA , corporations can sue our government for passing laws that restrict trade.
With the ruling in the softwood lumber dispute and the U.S. resistence to comply, Canada is in the position of having that clause taken out of NAFTA as a recognized retalitory measure, thus protecting Canadian health. Why has Martin not acted to do so???

Excellant point indeed.

Canada should go ahead and break some NAFTA rules, go ahead and pass legistlation that might not be good for some corporations - like the chemicals law. If they come around to collect the fines, give them the finger and hold up a mirror for the USA to look at.

The point is - we should not be held back by NAFTA if the signatories are not obeying its rules. Not with health issues especially.

Like you said. Now said twice - when will our PM
PM hear us?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Europe backs major ch

Reverend Blair said:
We should be moving closer to Europe, Pete. We should also be working with developing nations a lot more. Africa and South America represent huge possibilities and they love dealing with middle powers who treat them fairly.

Um, Rev & Karlin, I just learned some stuff about our fair country that shocked me. In Guatemala the Canadian government is every bit as cut-throat and destructive as the Americans. We go down there to mine and tear up ancient sites at will.

I'll get the info to back it (have to do some research since I heard it first hand from someone who was there during the protest) but I was always under the illusion we were somehow superior to other countries that pillage third world people.

Makes me kinda sad. :(