Recycle Fee, AND Deposit for refund ??

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I have a reciept from the grocery store, an IGA, that shows I paid a Recycle Fee of 4cents and a Deposit of 20c on 4l. jug of water for $3.99.

WHat is all that? If I take it into the bottle depot and get my 20c, is it THEN recycled and I pay the 4c for that too? doesn't anyone make money off recycling plastic, the world's most recyclable material?

Perhaps to encourage a business to start up a plastic recycling facility, they collect this 4c?
So where does the 20c go?

Anyways, plastic recycling is not what it should or could be. It is very much reusable, just heat and serve. The petrochemical industry that produces all the plastic should take the horns on recycling it, so as to make best use of our resources.

Oh ya, they are shareholder's resources and they get the sayso. [i don't like the capitalist system].

Less waste, less profits, in the case of plastics industry.Regulators could have done this better. Most of what we have used over the past 50 years is in landfills or floating in the oceans. It is a huge a problem - one area of the Pacific has a gigantic 'swirl' of plastic bits, little shreds, cycling around, and all the fish and creatures there have it in their tissues.

Plastic tossed in the ocean will never come back to reduce sales of new plastic, where the biggest profits are, due to the monoply the majors enjoy where they produce the raw material AND they refine it themselves [another branch of same corporation] .

If there were true competition, not a closed loop, the price of the raw material [nat gas] would be higher than recycled material, as is normal, esp when all the fees for collecting it are added in, and when refining the raw plastic VS re-heating recycled plastic are compared.
You can't make plastic for "less than plasic costs to make"...and recycled plastic is plastic, so it should be cheaper. Much of it is never recycled, reused, etc. Much of the collections end up in the landfill or oceans - Micheal Moore showed us that evidence in one of his movies.

The few products we see that come from re-using plastic are very good. More please!

As consumers, we can avoid plastic in our purchase choices...Geez, how dumb to put good water in pastic jugs - glass would be more appropriate since plastic gives off various toxins to that water I paid for. I can't find any water sold in glas, can you?
Thanks,
Karlin.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Recycle Fee, AND Depo

They should be doing it the same way beer bottles are handled. A straight fee that makes it worthwhile to bring the containers back to be reused. When they can't be reused, they are recycled because the beer companies save money that way. That has to be one of the most effective recycling programs around.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A question Karlin

Where do you live that you have to buy bottled water? I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. I installed a filter system that provides all our drinking and cooking water from a separate little tap. The cost was about $150.00 and I installed it in twenty minutes. The filter cartridges will cost about fifty bucks a year.

danieltowsey

A Truth Soldier
Oct 13, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well its a good story.Things are done a little different here. They charge 10 cents deposit and give us back 5 cents......They also tax the deposit at 15%....Remember that not all bottles get returned for recycling, so they get to keep the full fee they collected......I think glass makes alot more pollution.It takes a lot more resources and energy to make glass...Plus don't forget when they return the bottles they have to be cleaned with detergents and and disinfected. That also contributes to polution.....They also have to use alot of energy to clean the bottles....Then there is the cost of relableing them....Plastic is much better to recycle....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Where do you live that you have to buy bottled water?

I know a lot of people with wells that use bottled water. The well water is okay to drink, but it's cheaper than buying new coffee makers and kettles all of the time.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
In NB, all beverages except milk are covered by the Beverage Containers Act. The deposits vary, depending on the size of the container (everything from tetra packs to 4L jugs).

If the container is REFILLABLE (think beer bottles), you get back all of your deposit.
If the container is not RECYLCLABLE (tetra, plastics, wine bottles), you get back 1/2 your deposit.

This does NOT apply to milk. Why? Because the dairies convinced the gov't that if there was a deposit on milk, all of our kiddies wouldn't drink milk.....

phormex

Jan 17, 2006
www.rambleweb.com
RE: Recycle Fee, AND Depo

Plastic recycling is an expensive proposition. The city of Ottawa found the economics of plastic recycling too expensive and cancelled the program for awhile until the public backlash forced them to reinstate it. Essentially, it costs more to process than the value they get from the material.