Slurpee's 40th anniversary - makes the headline news

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Well it must be a big deal, for 7-11 anyhow, since it was worthy of being the headline news on TV today:

"Slurpees are 40 years old!" :D

What we get isn't just flavour,shaved ice and sugar, what we are buying is the COLOUR.
Sugar is bad, flavour might be artificial, but its the COLOUR that will kill you. Not fast, and not for sure. You will likely linger for years after drinking a Slurpee!! [joke].

There was no indication on the news that the colouring is a health hazard.That does not mean its safe, and neither do the FDA rulings on what is allowed in the food industry. Both mass media and government regulatory bodies are dominated by corporate interests and cannot be believed.

Notice [below] how many of them are derived from COAL TARS. Most of our pharmaceutical pills are also from COAL TARS. The toxic [cancerous] properties of COAL TARS are a certainty, the reason they are so widely used is economics and the unique chemical qualities that give COAL TARS so may uses.
How better to dispose of them than to put them in our food? {like flouride, for eg.]{did you see the Simpsons last night?July 10th]

Several countires have banned the most popular Slurpee colorings, like these from a webpage I found with googling:

FD&C Yellow No:5
CI Acid Yellow23, CI Food Yellow 4.
Coal tar dye. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon. Cancer probability.
Known to provoke asthma attacks (though the US FDA** do not recognise this) and urticaria (nettle rash) in children (the US FDA** estimates 1:10 000), altered states of perception and behaviour, uncontrolled hyper agitation and confusion; wakefulness in young children. Is known to inhibit zinc metabolism and interfere with digestive enzymes. Tartrazine sensitivity is also linked to aspirin sensitivity; used to colour drinks, sweets, jams, cereals, snack foods, canned fish, packaged soups.
Banned in Norway, Austria and Finland. Restricted use in Sweden and Germany.

Acid yellow 17, CI Food yellow 5. Coal tar dye. the HACSG* recommends to avoid it; It may cause asthma, rashes and hyperactivity. People sensitive to aspirin and asthma sufferers should avoid it. Typical products are soft drinks.
Banned in Australia (1992), Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and USA.

FD&C Red No. 2, CI Acid Red 27, CI Food red 9. Originally derived from the small herbaceous plant of the same name. Azo dye, Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon. Used in cake mixes, fruit-flavoured fillings, jelly crystals; can provoke asthma, eczema and hyperactivity; All child bearing women should avoid it as it could cause birth defects and foetal deaths. Can cause urticaria and liver problems possibly also cancer.
Banned in Austria, Japan, Norway, Russia, Sweden, the USA.

FD&C Red No:3; Coal tar dye; Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon. Artificial red colour used in cherries, canned fruit, custard mix, sweets, bakery, snack foods; can cause sensitivity to light and learning difficulties; can increase thyroid hormone levels and lead to hyperthyroidism, was shown to cause thyroid cancer in rats in a study in 1990; Used as an ingredient to kill maggot lava and flies. Banned in January 1990, but not recalled by the US FDA**;
Banned in Norway.

FD&C Red No:40; Artificial orange-red colour used in sweets, drinks and condiments, medications and cosmetics, synthetic; introduced in the early eighties to replace amaranth which was considered not safe due to conflicting test results; Allura red has also been connected with cancer.
Prohibited throughout the EEC.

FD&C Blue No:2, synthetic coal tar dye. Commonly added to tablets and capsules; also used in ice cream, sweets, baked goods, confectionary, biscuits; may cause nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure, skin rashes, breathing problems, brain tumours and other allergic reactions.
Banned in Norway.

FD&C Blue Dye No:1, CI Acid blue 9, CI Food blue 2, CI Pigment blue 24. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon, Triphenylmethane dye. Used in dairy products, sweets and drinks, synthetic usually occurring as aluminium lake (solution) or ammonium salt; Can cause hyperactivity, skin rashes, bronchoconstriction (combined with 127 and 132), chromosomal damage.
Banned in British Commonwealth 1972-1980. Banned in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Norway Switzerland, Sweden.

More info can be found here:
http://www.mbm.net.au/health/guide.htm

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Karlin said"How better to dispose of them than to put them in our food? {like flouride, for eg.]{did you see the Simpsons last night?July 10th]

i sure did see the simpsons last night, it's a good thing that Lisa isn't the Slurpee spokesperson :D

Apparently despite the fact that they are horrible for you, birthdays of companies like Slurpee are still newsworthy when it and London are all you have to talk about.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey Karlin KD has a coal tar byproduct in it Too .Anything that has artificial cherry or banana flavor in it comes from crude oil yuk.I used to work in a plant that made the stuff 8O It smelled great but very toxic stuff used in its production .Kind of like Coffee mate edible oil product Yuk 8O

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
KD has Tartazine in it wich is a cancer causing agent manda if you look at other brands you can find them with out it :wink:

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Yeah, i know...but the name KD...its a staple of our culture, even though I don't think it was created by us.

You know..If back bacon and Kraft dinner are considered 2 of your basic food groups, you might be Canadian.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Speaking of Kraft Dinner, besides health issues the company involved with it isn't what you would call the most ethical either. You can find more about that Here

Why are you buying your food from a tobacco company?

:cry: What sucks is I like alot of that shi*.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Slurpee's 40th annive

Most people are better off not knowing what's in their food or where it comes from. For that matter best they don't know what's in their cleaning products, deodorants, hair spray, perfumes, colognes, shampoo's, etc.

It's a big bag world out there. And the cancer we get ain't simply from smoking or car exhaust..........

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: whats KD he asks!!

peapod said:
ehm...whats KD 8O

LOL - it Is the food-fad of the century... well late boomers generations anyhow, young men going out into the world , only one meal they know how to cook - KD.
Actually, in fact, my first two initials are KD. We must have really loved that stuff.

It is true that you can buy it cheaper with bulk macaroni but hey, that tartrazine and coal tars and the fake colouring - the colouring is so beautiful and the flavour and texture so rich - too good to be true, too good to be good for you!

Kevin Trudeau SWEARS THERE IS AN ADDICTIVE CHEMICAL in it. [and other fast foods]. It must be the 'cheese' sauce.

It DOES satisfy hunger cravings, esp after a toke late at night.

I ate so much of it in college.
At least I figured it out by the time I had kids, and didn't give it to them, they are not addicts of the evil KD. :?

Project: build A huge pile of "20th C. CRAP" - it would have KD at the top of it...
Teflon frypans just below that... then what - ?