VoIP and 911

kden604

Electoral Member
Anyone use a VoIP phone?

I read a couple articles last week about regulation requiring them to give you local 911 acess within 60 or 90 days. Some companies were failing to tell the people when they sign up, that 911 doesn't work (on the companies who didn't implement the service)...

It's good that they are doing that, too bad when the power goes out the VoIP doesn't work. I don't have one personally, but I've used on at work before and they are pretty neat.

Aizlynne

Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, AB
I did some research on VoIP because it interested me based on pricing over regular phone service. You are right on all points Ken. These were things that were mentioned if you actually went to sites that were trying to give you the pro's and cons. A few other issues besides 911 and power outages causing your phones to stop working is band width. Now granted if you go with Shaw now you shouldn't have bandwith issues but they are something to consider if purchasing the service from another supplier. If the bandwith crashes, so does your phone service. Works like a modem they said. If it gets overloaded you get punted, even if you are on the phone with someone else.

If you have a cell phone as well as a land line then VoIP won't be too much of an issue. Just make sure you have the most recent tele modem or cable modem you can get in order to increase your bps.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
That's why we haven't rushed to sign up for this. 911 seems like it should just be part of it because it is for emergencies. I hope they do decide to go with 911.

jery

Jan 31, 2006
Seems that it's not easy to find retail stores selling hardware for VoIP in Canada.

Last week, I bought one online and it happened to be a Canadian company! You guys might want to check it out.

I'm happy because I got a good deal at a discounted price and even free shipping! But I'm not sure when their 'free shipping' promo will end.

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
I use VOIP, works just fine. I started using it since I got a great del - pay 15 $ a month and call as much national calls you want (I only pay for international calls and cellular). A "coppar cord phone" otherwise cost 19 $ plus all the calls around here.

I can call 112 (911 in EU) as long as I have electricity, but cellphones works fine even without.

When my dad moved to France he purchased one in Sweden, so since he´s got a swedish number you can call him really cheap from from here (I call him for free).

Knoss

Nominee Member
Feb 18, 2006
Rockglen, Saskatchewan
I can call 112 (911 in EU) as long as I have electricity, but cellphones works fine even without.

Thats good, it can come in handy. I heard on the radio the other dqay a woman in Sweden had a heart attack while conversing with her son in the Phillipeans via a webcam. the son was able to contact the local emergency line and paramedics arrived just in time.

It's good that they are doing that, too bad when the power goes out the VoIP doesn't work. quote]

I'd say buy a cell phone first and make sure to keep it charged.

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Knoss said:
I heard on the radio the other dqay a woman in Sweden had a heart attack while conversing with her son in the Phillipeans via a webcam. the son was able to contact the local emergency line and paramedics arrived just in time.
8O Now that is a lucky girl!