Starbucks Debuts Coconut Milk That Isn’t Coconut Milk

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
In an attempt to appeal to the non-dairy crowd, Starbucks is bringing “coconut milk” to the masses.

Those who are committed to real food are no stranger to coconut milk. It’s deliciously thick and creamy, full of healthy saturated fats, and low in sugar.

That’s real coconut milk, though.

When Starbucks said they were debuting coconut milk as an option, my bull**** radar started scanning. And it found what I thought it would find: Starbucks is debuting coconut milk that isn’t coconut milk.

It’s not just that Starbucks coconut milk is a watered down version (which would be perfectly fine if it was otherwise unadulterated), it’s that it’s basically sugar water with emulsifiers and a little bit of coconut product.

Ingredients: Water, coconut cream, cane sugar, tricalcium phosphate, coconut water concentrate, natural flavors, sea salt, carrageenan, gellan gum, corn dextrin, xanthan gum, guar gum, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin d2.

Ingredients in most legit coconut milk:Coconut milk, water.

Now, in all fairness, Starbucks has to make sure the coconut milk consistency is very, well…consistent. Domesticated humans don’t like chunks of coconut fat floating in their lattes, so you have to do some doctoring—I get it.

But corn? Multiple gums? Carrageenan?

“Carrageenan predictably causes inflammation, which can lead to ulcerations and bleeding,” explains veteran carrageenan researcher Joanne Tobacman, MD, associate professor of clinical medicine at the University of Illinois School of Medicine at Chicago.

That’s not to say that everyone is going to start getting ulcers, but carrageenan is known to cause gut inflammation and digestive distress in many people. I’d rather do without it.

Real coconut milk would have four to five times the fat content. This is important because low fat, high sugar beverages are notorious for driving cravings later. A higher fat, lower sugar beverage would help balance hormones and sustain satiety.

This kind of thing is pretty typical of Starbucks though. They’ve done a masterful job marketing themselves as being health-conscious and high quality, both of which they’re really not.

Starbucks, you had a chance to debut a real non-dairy alternative here and you blew it.

more

Starbucks Debuts Coconut Milk That Isn't Coconut Milk - Cornucopia Institute

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I can buy a can of coffee down at the Walmart for a little under three bucks. A jar of honey and some half and half ,,,coffee for a couple of weeks for less than ten bucks. Boo on Starbucks.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Starbucks is over rated, and any bloody place you need to learn a second language just to order a coffee, isn't on my list of places to go..

TIMMIES ALL THE WAY!!