Gillette Mach 3 vs. Gillette Fusion

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
This thread is really only for the men of the forum.

I bought a Gillette Fusion Razor (actually insurance did, long story) when I was in Canada during Xmas since my electronic Braun 7 series and my Mach 3 were both in my lost suitcase for 2 weeks and used the Fusion for a while until my suitcase arrived. It was the one with a battery that vibrates which supposedly should improve each stroke depended upon how unshaven you are.

Anyways, I usually do both electric and wet shaves depending on what my plans are that evening. Well, my extremely expensive Braun 7-series kind of decided it didn't want to work anymore (it was more of a short circuit combined with faulty NiMh-Cad batteries). Google, in their infinite wisdom decided that I was to see shaver ads on every site I visit recently after looking up Braun repair guides so I came to an Amazon review.

Apparently there are a ton of reviews on Amazon claiming how much better the Fusion is compared to the Mach 3 on comfort and quality. I got a few cartridges for the Fusion and every time I shave, I just feel an uncomfortable pull on my face, so much more so than the Mach 3, especially when I haven't shaved for a couple of days. It doesn't matter if I'm using the vibrating function or not with the Fusion.

This product really can't be better than the Mach 3, can it? I checked and the Mach 3 has 3 blades, vs. the Fusion which I has 5.

Thoughts? Please, men only :)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I can't afford the Fusion or the Mach 3, I use an electric and throw aways. I would be happy to write a review if you can send me the money to use both the Fusion and the Mach 3 for approximately a month each. That shouldn't cost more than $213.00, plus HST. Of course there there will a cost attached to the study. I'll give you a rate. Let's say $400.00 for the study. Plus HST of course. Now while I am doing this study there other things to consider. Firstly, hot water has to be heated in order to achieve a good manly shave and hydro rates have been rising in Ontario so there I think $!50.00 should cover costs. Plus HST of course Given that you will want an unbiased assessment I think may be necessary to hire a consulting firm. Luck would have it, I happen to work in my spare time as a consultant and we are having a summer deal in which we will charge a flat rate of $2000.26 plus HST

$213.00 Razors
$400.00 Study
$!50.00 Hydro Electric costs
$2000.26 Consulting
Free Article written by MJ Preston
$2763.26 Sub Total
$359.22 HST

$3122.48 Total cost including taxes.

You can submit the funds to my paypal and I will get on it as soon as possible.
We should have the study ready to commence once Environment Canada gives me the go ahead to start the excavation process.

Some other fees may apply.

I'll have my lawyer draw up the necessary paperwork and send you a separate invoice for his costs. Plus HST of course.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Sorry, Andem, I can't help you for three excellent reasons:

1. I wear a beard and shave only small part of my face.
2. I am too cheap to spend more on shaving implements than the price of the cheapest disposable.
3. I am so good looking that it makes no difference what I use for shaving.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I can't afford the Fusion or the Mach 3, I use an electric and throw aways. I would be happy to write a review if you can send me the money to use both the Fusion and the Mach 3 for approximately a month each. That shouldn't cost more than $213.00, plus HST. Of course there there will a cost attached to the study. I'll give you a rate. Let's say $400.00 for the study. Plus HST of course. Now while I am doing this study there other things to consider. Firstly, hot water has to be heated in order to achieve a good manly shave and hydro rates have been rising in Ontario so there I think $!50.00 should cover costs. Plus HST of course Given that you will want an unbiased assessment I think may be necessary to hire a consulting firm. Luck would have it, I happen to work in my spare time as a consultant and we are having a summer deal in which we will charge a flat rate of $2000.26 plus HST

$213.00 Razors
$400.00 Study
$!50.00 Hydro Electric costs
$2000.26 Consulting
Free Article written by MJ Preston
$2763.26 Sub Total
$359.22 HST

$3122.48 Total cost including taxes.

You can submit the funds to my paypal and I will get on it as soon as possible.
We should have the study ready to commence once Environment Canada gives me the go ahead to start the excavation process.

Some other fees may apply.

I'll have my lawyer draw up the necessary paperwork and send you a separate invoice for his costs. Plus HST of course.

I have a coupon for $3.14 off of MJ Preston consulting services.. Mind if I send it to Andem, cause that'll probably push him over the edge on funding the study.

This thread is really only for the men of the forum.

I bought a Gillette Fusion Razor (actually insurance did, long story) when I was in Canada during Xmas since my electronic Braun 7 series and my Mach 3 were both in my lost suitcase for 2 weeks and used the Fusion for a while until my suitcase arrived. It was the one with a battery that vibrates which supposedly should improve each stroke depended upon how unshaven you are.

Anyways, I usually do both electric and wet shaves depending on what my plans are that evening. Well, my extremely expensive Braun 7-series kind of decided it didn't want to work anymore (it was more of a short circuit combined with faulty NiMh-Cad batteries). Google, in their infinite wisdom decided that I was to see shaver ads on every site I visit recently after looking up Braun repair guides so I came to an Amazon review.

Apparently there are a ton of reviews on Amazon claiming how much better the Fusion is compared to the Mach 3 on comfort and quality. I got a few cartridges for the Fusion and every time I shave, I just feel an uncomfortable pull on my face, so much more so than the Mach 3, especially when I haven't shaved for a couple of days. It doesn't matter if I'm using the vibrating function or not with the Fusion.

This product really can't be better than the Mach 3, can it? I checked and the Mach 3 has 3 blades, vs. the Fusion which I has 5.

Thoughts? Please, men only :)

Andem,

To be perfectly truthful, it's been a long time since I have justified the high cost of those Gillette blades as compared to a bag of $2 disposables from Superstore... They are cheaper quality blades so you'll want to slap a hot cloth against your face for a minute or so but a bag of 12 disposables will still last over a month.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I just use beard clippers. Mty kid and wife were using my 4 blade jobs on their legs and throwing them away too early. At $5 a cartridge? Who the **** do they think I am. Rockefeller?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Real Men use butter knives!

Actually they use Shark Teeth :p

I personally can't comment on the Gillette brands and how good or bad they are, as I haven't used them in years.

For the last god knows how long, I have been using Schick Quattro razors (The regular & Titanium ones) and have been quite pleased on how they work, and they seem to last quite a while for me.

Generally one blade head will last about a month to a month and a half for me before they start getting rough as crap and have to be tossed. They're about $10 in Canada & Australia for a pack of 5 last I checked, as I'm still on the the same 5 pack I bought back in January when I came to Australia. I noticed the Titanium ones seem to last a little longer.... not much though.

How long they will last for others I can't say, as I don't seem to grow facial hair as fast as most people, only really needing to shave every 2nd or 3rd day.... but being red-thick Irish hair I imagine it's not the easiest har for a razor to deal with.

Those bloody blades cost a small fortune... Have you ever had a barber shave you with a straight razor?

I saw a sign in the window for one of those shaves here in a Melbourne barber shop.... $12 for one shave!

Frig that crap.... I ain't no friggin CEO with a helicopter.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Those bloody blades cost a small fortune... Have you ever had a barber shave you with a straight razor?
Yes. My dad took me to get one. It was amazing. I've never had a better shave and my skin, holy crap so smooth and soft after removing so much dead skin that my tan was gone.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I mostly use an electric razor, but I've had a fusion for several years.

Just wondering if anyone noticed the same thing that I noticed......

The razor that came with the handle lasted me over 2 years......I am not joking.

yet, my replacement razors are disappointing. I'm not sure how long they last, but I've been throwing them away after every 5 or 6 shaves......hence, it is expensive so I went back to the electric razor again.

Is it possible that the blades lose their quality once they go into mass production?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If the blades lasted 2 years, how would they make any money?

The whole point is to get you hooked so that you keep buying blades, because that's where the profit is. Like printer ink.