Finding On-line companies that ship to Canada

FreeBears

May 22, 2011
Oregon
I am probably risking some Canadian ire, but I am from Oregon and have a website that is looking at making our products more available in Canada. In the past that has been problematic because your Customs agency can be very slow, but we think we have that problem answered. So I have two questions for you:

1. Are there Canadian sites that I can list my site on so it can be found easier in Canada, like a shopping mall, search engine or directory?
2. Are there any US sites that list companies that will ship to you in Canada?

If I am in the wrong category, please move to the correct one.

If I am way off base, let me have it. I look forward to your comments and input.

Thanks

Gary

FreeBears

May 22, 2011
Oregon
Thanks. Those are kind of the obvious ones (although I wouldn't use Craiglist if I couldn't pickup the item).

More ideas?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Been ordering goods from the USA for decades now-the biggest issue for Canadians is companies that only ship via courier companies-who are Very Expensive for us to do business with-no time to go into details now but if you offer USPS it's a lot easier for us.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I am probably risking some Canadian ire, but I am from Oregon and have a website that is looking at making our products more available in Canada. In the past that has been problematic because your Customs agency can be very slow, but we think we have that problem answered. So I have two questions for you:

1. Are there Canadian sites that I can list my site on so it can be found easier in Canada, like a shopping mall, search engine or directory?
2. Are there any US sites that list companies that will ship to you in Canada?

If I am in the wrong category, please move to the correct one.

If I am way off base, let me have it. I look forward to your comments and input.

Thanks

Gary

I'd say advertise on Google.

I wish more online stores accepted interac.

Interesting. But what would that solve?

Personally, as for credit cards, I'll only use gift credit cards online so that should they get stolen (not that it's ever happened to me yet but after all the horror stories I've heard from otehrs, I'd rather play it safe), I could only lose so much and my regulrar credit card isn't affected.

As for interac, I like the idea in principle, but like regular credit cards, there's not telling how much a scamer could fleece you. Now I suppose there would be the option of "gift interac cards". But then how would that be any different from gift credit cards?

That said, for those who do feel more comfortable with using their regular credit card online, but who would rather not have a credit card if given the choice, then I could definitely see an advantage with interac as long as it should be as secure as a credit card.

In principle though I think it would be a good idea if possible and many would likely go for that.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
I'd say advertise on Google.

Interesting. But what would that solve?
It would solve my ability to get things I want much simpler, I don't use credit cards.
:icon_smile:
Personally, as for credit cards, I'll only use gift credit cards online so that should they get stolen (not that it's ever happened to me yet but after all the horror stories I've heard from otehrs, I'd rather play it safe), I could only lose so much and my regulrar credit card isn't affected.

As for interac, I like the idea in principle, but like regular credit cards, there's not telling how much a scamer could fleece you. Now I suppose there would be the option of "gift interac cards". But then how would that be any different from gift credit cards?

That said, for those who do feel more comfortable with using their regular credit card online, but who would rather not have a credit card if given the choice, then I could definitely see an advantage with interac as long as it should be as secure as a credit card.

In principle though I think it would be a good idea if possible and many would likely go for that.

Interac is just uses a simple debit card and in no way similar to a credit card.. I've used it already to order some books online, it's extremely convenient and easy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It would solve my ability to get things I want much simpler, I don't use credit cards.
:icon_smile:

Interac is just uses a simple debit card and in no way similar to a credit card.. I've used it already to order some books online, it's extremely convenient and easy.

What book company accepts Interac?

Oh, and also, is it at least as safe to use online as credit cards? What kind of security is there?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Thanks.

I guess there would always be the option, if you made many purchases online, to have a separate bank account reserved for that purpsoe only, and then transfer just the money you need into that account whenever you're to make a purchase. That could prove more convenient that purchasing a gift credit card, and still ensure that should the card be compromised, you'd lose little money before realizing it. Also unlike gift credit cards which are non-repenishable, such an arrangement would allow you to keep the same interac card and replenish it as needed. Definitely something worth considering. I just never realised that any company accepted interac online. Now that I know, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

Thanks again.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I just checked a sample purchase on that website....Prices aren't too bad if the merchandise is of good quality but shipping costs is what gets you:smile:

ITEM...............................$14.99

Shipping Standard..................$32.65........Priority...$72.82

Total before applicable CA.taxes $47.64........&........$87.81

If www. freebear.com is not the O.P.s web site....I appologise

I purposely left a space in the link so it wouldn't show up as a clickable link....

Thanks.

I guess there would always be the option, if you made many purchases online, to have a separate bank account reserved for that purpsoe only, and then transfer just the money you need into that account whenever you're to make a purchase. That could prove more convenient that purchasing a gift credit card, and still ensure that should the card be compromised, you'd lose little money before realizing it. Also unlike gift credit cards which are non-repenishable, such an arrangement would allow you to keep the same interac card and replenish it as needed. Definitely something worth considering. I just never realised that any company accepted interac online. Now that I know, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that.

Thanks again.
I use pay-pal with a limited credit card....works for me....
If you look at the pay pal web site it seems that there is a way to do it with your debit card, for instant debit...but I haven't checked into it since I don't do that many online purchases and aside from that my credit card is only used for emergencies and since I don't have any of those...I have to use it or loose it:lol: