Anyone been screwed over by SHAW?

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
Like the post title asks. I just have to vent, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one. My family has been screwed over, by shaw, in that we signed up for a basic cable package, then they gave us the full package as a "trial". When the "trial" expired, not only did they take the package away, they took away channels we originally had. That's one. The second time is with my internet. My original user agreement states that with my plan, I get 75GB per month of downloading. A couple of weeks ago, it was, without warning, without any indication what so ever, reduced to 60gb per month of downloading. A 15GB reduction in service is significant, and I'm paying the same amount. Can they do this? I think it's just bad business to pull sh%* like this. Before they got a chance to switch all the online literature, over to the "New" material, I was able to print off, from their website, the original user agreement, that I signed up for, which still states 75GB. I talked to 4 people at SHAW, with no resolution. There was no point in tearing a strip off the person on the other end, they just work there. I was told by the last person I spoke to, to leave feedback to head office, so I did, no reply yet.

00chuffer

May 10, 2011
This is all part of the planning for the implementation of UBB (usage based billing ) lower your download allotment then charge you $3-5 per Gig you go over it. I just moved and didn't sign up to shaw for this reason. openmedia.ca has the full story and petitions for you to sign. A quick explanation is HERE at the post I just wrote.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I haven't had a problem with Shaw but they just haven't got around to me yet.
I would like to see American service providers come in and see how these
people react to that. Usually I like to see Canadian providers servicing the
market in this country. The problem is they are behaving like the radio and
television people used to when they had all the media power. Social media
is changing everything and the same arrogant people have cornered the
market. Now its time to allow some real competition. I don't think there should
be contracts for anything. For instance my phone contract ran out some time
ago and I kept the same phone and I am month to month working on the old
agreement. I think the system is wrong and its not just one company

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Like the post title asks. I just have to vent, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one. My family has been screwed over, by shaw, in that we signed up for a basic cable package, then they gave us the full package as a "trial". When the "trial" expired, not only did they take the package away, they took away channels we originally had. That's one. The second time is with my internet. My original user agreement states that with my plan, I get 75GB per month of downloading. A couple of weeks ago, it was, without warning, without any indication what so ever, reduced to 60gb per month of downloading. A 15GB reduction in service is significant, and I'm paying the same amount. Can they do this? I think it's just bad business to pull sh%* like this. Before they got a chance to switch all the online literature, over to the "New" material, I was able to print off, from their website, the original user agreement, that I signed up for, which still states 75GB. I talked to 4 people at SHAW, with no resolution. There was no point in tearing a strip off the person on the other end, they just work there. I was told by the last person I spoke to, to leave feedback to head office, so I did, no reply yet.
I would suggest you spend a couple of bucks and file a suit against them for breach of contract under the UCC, or at least get hold of someone in management and tell yhem you are contemplating a suit. If you choose to infrm them before filing make sure you let them know you are aware that one of the legal remedies for unilateral changes toa contract is the you, as the aggrieved party, gets to change any terms of the contract you like to suit you.

I did this when they tried to put a cap on my 'unlimited access' and told them I would be changing the terms relating to cost to $0.01/month and they were quite quick to apologize and restore my unlimited status and I have never heard a peep from them since.

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
To alleywayzalwayz, I was on the right track, with the cable I had, it just wasn't generic enough to work on her TV. She ended up buying a multi-cable from E-B games, and it seems to work.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
poor luck? lack of understanding? not very bright?

I dunno.. you just had an unfortunate accident.

We've had Shaw for over 30 years and we've had our ups and downs .. but I have no issues at all with Shaw.

i would stay with them over any company.

cause there are no contracts.. you can leave any time if you like..

unlike those OTHER companies...

maybe just maybe you should call them back and get to the bottom of it instead of leaving it up to them?

with any company you need to communicate clearly and precisely in order to get what you want. don't expect them to be able to read your mind.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The time when you will watch all your tv online is coming. Since I've dumped digital cable tv I have over $100 a month to spend on my download overages and series purchases. Most shows are available for free anyway if you don't mind a little effort and sometimes lower resolutions. The more people do this the better it will get.

An example: TUBE+ Watch TV Shows for free

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I have lots of beefs with Shaw, much like Telus when it was the only game in town. Poor service, expensive. What irks me most is the bundled channels. We watch about 1 1/2 channels and that is it. Why we should be forced to pay for 3 eastern CBC and a bunch of french channels is beyond me. WE use shaw for internet only because where we are it is better than Telus.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have lots of beefs with Shaw, much like Telus when it was the only game in town. Poor service, expensive. What irks me most is the bundled channels. We watch about 1 1/2 channels and that is it. Why we should be forced to pay for 3 eastern CBC and a bunch of french channels is beyond me. WE use shaw for internet only because where we are it is better than Telus.

You can blame the CRTC for that one, they force cable & satellite to carry one CBC channel per time zone.

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I have to say that Shaw redeemed themselves. The price is the same, but he data usage allotment went up to 300gb. I still don't understand the huge swing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You can blame the CRTC for that one, they force cable & satellite to carry one CBC channel per time zone.

Thank God for the CRTC. The thought of having all American TV channels makes me want to throw up. Fox should be kept out just on general principles. I watch hockey, some movies, and maybe a total of six channels but in order to get the channels I want, I have to
get a hundred and sixty channels I don't want....:roll:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I was forced into upgrading my system with Shaw last month, when they dumped all the analogue specialty channels into the Digital catchbasin. They gave me the digital box for free, and frankly i've been pleased with the upgrade, getting about 20 channels i didn't receive before, or that had been eliminated over the last year or so (including some favourites like Speed and EA).. i even bought a couple extra. Supposedly my bill will go up about $10, which i can live with, but i'm waiting to see if any nasty, undisclosed charges apply. Could determine whether i stick with Shaw or not.

My sister uses Telus, and gets Hi Def, which i don't, and seems to me have much less flexibility of choice in channel selection than with Shaw. I'm not sure how they stack up on price.

Last edited: